Skip to content

No broken weapon notification

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Bump
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    A little poll... Do you guys hear any sound when the weapon is broken.
    1 - yes - original magic-like sound
    2 - yes - something breaks
    3 - no sound
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    2 - yes, something breaks
    I'm not hearing any sound yet, I just voted on 2. (If I understood this Poll.)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    Nah, if you don't hear any sound, then 3. My platform is weird with openal (intermittent sounds). So i need some outside experience.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I don't know if anyone else has had this problem on here, but now both me and a friend of mine have had our characters' weapons disappear.

A couple times early-game Khalid and Minsc were wielding swords, but mid-battle, they became unequipped. When I checked their inventory, it showed that they had a broken sword in their packs, so I assumed that their weapons broke for some reason.

But today I've had the same thing happen twice--once on Khalid's longsword again, and the other on Kagain's axe--and there wasn't any "broken" equipment to be found in their inventories. Their weapons just...vanished without a trace!

My friend's protagonist also had her weapon disappear early game, while she was still in Candlekeep. Is this some kind of a bug, or is there some other cause to this? I've only ever played Baldur's Gate 2, and I've never had a problem like this.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThomasMinkThomasMink Member Posts: 25

A little poll... Do you guys hear any sound when the weapon is broken.
    1 - yes - original magic-like sound
    2 - yes - something breaks
    3 - no sound

3 - no sound. Getting a broken weapon in the inventory also seems to be somewhat of a lottery. Sometimes I get one, other times it's as if the weapon just vanished entirely.
    DiscoCat
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    There does seem to be some random disappearing weapons that may not be related to breakage. Can we also get which weapons, specifically, are disappearing? I.e. bastard sword, short sword, spear +1, etc.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    @CamDawg I haven't noticed magical weapons disappearing, but I have had a longsword, a bastard sword, and a battleaxe vanish. Perhaps it's only related to "normal" weapons...
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I have noticed a few things:

- No weapon audio when breaking
    - No character reaction/audio to broken weapons
    - No character reactions/audio to weapon ineffective "My weapon does nothing!"

I have also noticed disappearing weapons. If I remember right it happened with a basic 2 handed sword and with a basic war hammer. When they break they just disappear.
    ThomasMink
    Yep, many of the original sounds are missing.
  • ThomasMinkThomasMink Member Posts: 25
    CamDawg said:

There does seem to be some random disappearing weapons that may not be related to breakage. Can we also get which weapons, specifically, are disappearing? I.e. bastard sword, short sword, spear +1, etc.

Haven't had it happen with a magical weapon, but if I'm remembering right.. I think more than a couple longswords and battle axes, and perhaps a couple shortswords and two handed swords.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    I noticed this while fighting in the illusion training in Candlekeep.
    So much battle sounds in there I couldn't hear whether there was a breaking sound or not, however, I was lucky enough to pause and check my inventory right after I noticed my long sword disappear from the Quick Slot at the bottom, and noticed a broken sword in my inventory.
    I went back to game play, unpaused and paused and checked my inventory and the broken sword was gone.

This is a very similar behaviour to importing Tutorial items into a new game after they patched that.
    They disappear one by one from your inventory, and if you're fast enough with the pause, you can check your inventory and watch them disappear one by one.

hook71
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Patch 2014 introduces a sound notification for broken weapons.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    It's also worth noting that BG1 NPCs have no weapon ineffective/critical hit/critical miss reactions. This isn't likely to change considering it'd involve having the original VO actors recording new lines.