Skip to content

I get no experience for this???

So there's my party, wandering around the outskirts of Gullykin. We walk through a... uh... gully, only to stumble upon a band of assassins determined to kill my CHARNAME. So far, par for the course.

My charname is a Blade (7). I also have a Cleric/Illusionist (5/5) my friend created. Ajantis (6). Branwen (6). Imoen (7). And of course Neera. Dear dear Neera (6).

Our gnomish cleric/illusionist just turned 5/5, so naturally, I savor the moment as he lays down a fireball. Not enough to kill them, mind you, but very satisfying. My Blade goes into offensive spin. Ajantis prepares an attack. Branwen casts Chant. Imoen starts firing a mage. And Neera, dear Neera, casts magic missile at the other mage.

Let me tell my friends, nothing good comes from hearing the following from Neera:

"Uh oh, a gate... is that a pit fiend?"

And yes, indeed it is a pit fiend.

He does not appear immediately. Oh no, not until the enemy mage casts Horror on half my party. I busy myself casting Remove Fear, but unfortunately, my Blade is still running around helter skelter.

The pit fiend then appeared, in all his bat-winged glory. I'm pretty sure it was him, Nabusa I believe his name was, that cast hold person on Ajantis. In any case, thwack, thwack, and Ajantis is hurting pretty bad. I try to cast cure spells to help him, but keep getting interrupted by the attacks from the assassins. All while my Blade runs back and forth, back and forth.

Imoen pulls out her best arrows. My cleric/illusionist runs through all five of his magic missiles. A sleep calms the assassins down for the moment. I try some wands against the pit fiend. Cone of cold, magic missile, lightning bolt, they're all pretty ineffective, because MAGIC RESISTANCE.

Branwen puts down an assassin. Somewhere in there Ajantis dies. The pit fiend thwacks my cleric/illusionist, Branwen, Neera. They all run and are hurting pretty bad. Imoen's still shooting arrows.

My Blade finally calms down, I do another offensive spin, and despite his speed, he never really gets attacks in, because the Pit Find is lumbering after Neera too fast.

Finally, my cleric/illusionist digs through his potion case and finds a potion of fire breathing.

Gulp. Whoosh. Flames.

And down Nabusa goes, the pit fiend is dead.

I wait eagerly for my massive experience... which I never receive.

Nada.

Nothing.

Zip.

Zilch.

For KILLING A PIT FIEND.

We proceed to mop up the remaining assassins, no big deal.

I think, well, maybe no experience, but at least the cleric/illusionist's information sheet will now shown Pit Fiend as most powerful enemy killed.

NOPE.

We gather up the belongings of Ajantis and trek back to the tempest outside Beregost.

Can they raise Ajantis back to life, so at least I can savor the tale?

No, no they cannot. His character sheet simply says DEAD.

The moral of this story is that, wow, that was an amazingly tense battle, with what could have been a satisfying conclusion. But to receive no experience, none, for killing a pit fiend? That's just kind of absurd.

Anyhow, such is life. I will likely restart play just before the ambush. (If I could raise Ajantis, I would keep playing, but I really want to play with Ajantis in my party.)

This felt like an epic moment I wanted to share, and gripe just a bit about the no experience for killing a PIT FIEND for criminy's sake.

A PIT FIEND!!!

:/

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    You don't get XP for killing your own summons, even if they're summoned by accident.

Also, you should have been able to resurrect Ajantis at a temple.
  • GrakkelGrakkel Member Posts: 55
    I read if you die with -10 HP or more, no resurrection?
    I get no XP for your summons, but it seems there should be a clause for pit fiend summons trying to kill you. And succeeding.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    Grakkel said:

I read if you die with -10 HP or more, no resurrection?

Yeah, if a character gets chunked (which I think happens at -10 HP), you can't resurrect. But you mentioned looking at his character record, which I don't think you can do after a character is permanently killed (you would have no way to select them). If his character portrait is still there, then you can resurrect him.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yeah, if his portrait is still there, you have to click on it before picking the option at the temple.
    I'll try again in the morning! Thanks!
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    It is a cheezy rule, to prevent one from doing a "summon and reap XP" sort of loop. TBH, it makes no sense. What does it really matter, where the monster comes from, or how? It is not like it is some kind of illusion, or make-believe in that sense.

The summoned Pit Fiend acts just like a normal one would in this case. Hence, one should get the XP for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ParasolsyndicateParasolsyndicate Member Posts: 54
    I had no idea this could happen. I feel your pain, but that's probably the best BG story I've ever heard.

I would agree that summons that powerful should be worth (at least partial) xp, and I definitely would like to see them under 'powerful kills'.

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    As a curiosity, what actually determines the enemy that counts as your 'most powerful enemy slain'. I always thought it was based on either level or XP value, but as far as I can tell it is neither of those things. For example, Angelo (level 11, 10,000 XP) is considered more powerful than both Aec'Letec and Sarevok (both 15,000 XP. Sarevok: level 16). Though the XP for killing Aec'Letec may be quest XP, not kill XP.
    I suppose it's possible that Sarevok doesn't count for some reason, due to being the final boss, but he does give you 15,000 XP compared to Angelo's 10,000. But Angelo will still be shown if you kill both. Odd.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Sometimes when a character is at -10 hps exactly thier portrait remains but they cannot be raised
    The good news is that, yes, I was able to revive Ajantis by clicking on his portrait when talking to the priest at the temple.

I definitely agree that the encounter gave our party an experience, even if it isn't on the character sheet.

I found one reference that a pit fiend gives 12,500 XP. That would be a big chunk, but not necessarily game breaking. It's not as if I'm going to go around casting spells with Neera purely in the hope that I can summon a pit fiend and harvest XP. Is it possible somebody could do so? Well, I suppose so, but man, what a boring way to play such a good game.

XP is a proxy for the learning your characters do based on their encounters. It's hard to imagine they learned nothing from fighting a pit fiend accidentally summoned by a wild mage.

Perhaps afterwards, Neera shouts out, "So we pretend this never happened. It never happened, ok? If Ajantis asks, he just ate some bad mushrooms!"
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    If you want to gain xp for him (it), probably the easiest way is to edit nabassu CRE file (i think it's DEMNABSU.CRE) and change the XP value from 0 to the desired amount.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    you get no xp from any of the creatures you summon,why? so you cannot farm them for xp

gated demons count as summons even if you don't control them
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    @bhaaldog

No experience.... for this?!

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

As a curiosity, what actually determines the enemy that counts as your 'most powerful enemy slain'. I always thought it was based on either level or XP value, but as far as I can tell it is neither of those things. For example, Angelo (level 11, 10,000 XP) is considered more powerful than both Aec'Letec and Sarevok (both 15,000 XP. Sarevok: level 16). Though the XP for killing Aec'Letec may be quest XP, not kill XP.

It counts for whoever strikes the final blow - if Imoen shot the last blow on Aec'Letec, the "most powerful vanquished" will be on her character sheet.
    DJKajuru said:

It counts for whoever strikes the final blow - if Imoen shot the last blow on Aec'Letec, the "most powerful vanquished" will be on her character sheet.
    You misunderstand. I am asking what criterion the game uses to differentiate between which monsters it considers 'most powerful'. For example, currently if the same character slays Angelo (level 11, 10,000 XP), Sarevok (level 16, 15,000 XP) and Aec'Letec (Level ?, 15,000 XP), the 'Most Powerful Foe Vanquished' will currently list Angelo, rather than any of the other two. This implies the game does not calculate which foe is 'most powerful' based on either level or experience.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Want a worse example? Kill the first demon knight you see in Durlag's Tower. You sure didn't summon it and you get no experience. On the upside, at least you get an interesting if not particularly powerful magic item.
    You get a Plate of the Dark from it too, which is the highest AC armour in the game. Far more useful.

You get a Plate of the Dark from it too, which is the highest AC armour in the game. Far more useful.

I prefer full plate mail + ring of protection to full plate +1 so by the time I hit Durlag's Tower it isn't particularly useful.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    How do you fight him? Your talking about the demon knight that teleports in an kills everyone when you take the tour? I thought your party was stuck in place while he is around.
    Pecca said:

If you want to gain xp for him (it), probably the easiest way is to edit nabassu CRE file (i think it's DEMNABSU.CRE) and change the XP value from 0 to the desired amount.

I actually am tempted to try editing in the experience somehow, just to right the scales of justice.

If I put in 12500 XP for Nabassu into DEMNABSU.CRE, will that XP be applied retroactively? Or would I need to use Shadowkeeper to get the XP onto my PC and NPCs?

If the latter, I would assume I should assign the XP to the five living characters and not to Ajantis, right?

It would also be interesting to see if I edit 12500 XP into DEMNABSU.CRE if that got the pit fiend to show up as most powerful enemy killed.

Hmmm. I would imagine when the next patch comes out, it may well override any XP I add into the DEMNABSU.CRE file?

Delvarian said:

How do you fight him? Your talking about the demon knight that teleports in an kills everyone when you take the tour? I thought your party was stuck in place while he is around.

The strategy I use is hitting him with wands of paralyzation and then killing him before he does the fireball and teleports away.

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    @Grakkel: It won't give xp retroactively, so you have to use keeper or console command SetCurrentXP. So you have to split those 12500, excluding dead Ajantis it's 2500 for each.

I'm actually not sure what happens to override folder upon patching. I always move it from the game directory before patching just in case...
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Grakkel said:

"Uh oh, a gate... is that a pit fiend?"

And yes, indeed it is a pit fiend.

(...)

And down Nabusa goes, the pit fiend is dead.

Nabasu is a kind of demon. Not nearly as bad as a real Pit Fiend, which would have cast Fireball at your party constantly until you were all 100% crispy.

Next time have Ajantis cast Protection from Evil on himself (the Paladin innate power). This will make him invisible to the summoned demon.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ....maybe it was just a dream...?

(okay. a nightmare in Ajantis' case)