Skip to content

WIP - BGEE ReKit

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    @subtledoctor - Hell yes!

That sounds very helpful, thank you!
    edited March 2013
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2013

Question: why do you have quarterstaff as a base rogue weapon? I've never understood the idea of thieves running around with a staff - or, backstabbing with one. Every time I've ever read about a thief build using a quarterstaff, it's always been some super-cheesy thread ("my assassin backstabbing with the Staff of Striking roxxorz!!1!"). I would remove it from the base rogue list and instead put quarterstaves in the base lists for warriors, priests and mages.

I think quarterstaff is a simple, humble and secret weapon. A thief may pass as a sick, old and weak beggar with a quarterstaff he uses to help him walk or stand straight. Infact it may even have secret compartments for stings and poisons and the like, and/or thief may do very fancy and surprising moves with the staff, whirling it overhead suddenly to surprise and then disarm or stun foes. Plus staves can be used to trip enemies and make them fall to the ground. Also, a thief can use a long staff to reach places that are potentially dangerous, ie:a hole in the wall which may be trapped or to reach a switch that is higher on the wall. A staff is useful for checking for traps and activating them from a safe distance. Or to gauge the deepness of a quick sand area. etc. Staff has so many uses I think it is a solid thief weapon. Even more than a longsword or scimitar, they are harder to disguise and use, and you can only do a few things with them. Staff has lots of utility, ease of use, (even mages can have time to learn to swing it correctly) and is easy to disguise too! What can a thief want more from a weapon? A pure thief will have little use for a massive two handed sword+5 of vorpal death.

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    @subtledoctor - Thanks! I'll give them a read.

@lunar - If only there were 10 ft. poles in BG :-)
    In real D&D, you didn't leave home without one.
    edited April 2013
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    lunar said:

I think quarterstaff is a simple, humble and secret weapon. A thief may pass as a sick, old and weak beggar with a quarterstaff he uses to help him walk or stand straight. Infact it may even have secret compartments for stings and poisons and the like, and/or thief may do very fancy and surprising moves with the staff, whirling it overhead suddenly to surprise and then disarm or stun foes. Plus staves can be used to trip enemies and make them fall to the ground. Also, a thief can use a long staff to reach places that are potentially dangerous, ie:a hole in the wall which may be trapped or to reach a switch that is higher on the wall. A staff is useful for checking for traps and activating them from a safe distance. Or to gauge the deepness of a quick sand area. etc. Staff has so many uses I think it is a solid thief weapon. Even more than a longsword or scimitar, they are harder to disguise and use, and you can only do a few things with them. Staff has lots of utility, ease of use, (even mages can have time to learn to swing it correctly) and is easy to disguise too! What can a thief want more from a weapon? A pure thief will have little use for a massive two handed sword+5 of vorpal death.

I very much agree with this; the subterfuge possibilities of an apparently simple staff are overwhelming. An old man with a cane? A lowly shepherd on the road? A simple porter carrying some small crates on a yoke across his shoulders? All possibilities to sneak up close and unleash a devastating surprise strike.