Skip to content

A Player Looking for a Group

CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
I've been kind of at a loss lately. I'd love to get into a new pen and paper game, but my regular group has had timing and real life issues the past couple years. And to be honest, its hard for shy people like me to just jump in and talk to a bunch of strangers. But, you guys aren't really strangers. We've been hanging out on and off for months or years on these forums, and for some it extends to other related communities for much longer times.

So, I thought I'd see if anyone has anything going on. Particularly anyone who has or is starting an online game. I don't have a lot of demands on my time; I can be pretty flexible.

I figure if anyone is starting up a game and is looking for players everything else can be talked about from there.

If anyone is in the same boat as I am, please speak up. Maybe we can all have some fun.

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Hi CaptRory!

We are starting a 3.5 game, the info is right here on this same forum page. We will be playing on another site, but almost everyone is from here.

You could also join us on LadyRhians thread Ravenloft. You would have to wait until someone dies before you can get in, but that happens quit often.
  • trailltraill Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2013
    CaptRory said:

I've been kind of at a loss lately. I'd love to get into a new pen and paper game, but my regular group has had timing and real life issues the past couple years...

If anyone is in the same boat as I am, please speak up. Maybe we can all have some fun.

Normally, I wouldn't respond to a post like this one, given how new I am. But what you wrote, well, it pretty much sums me up to a tee. In fact, that's part of the reason I joined this site. So I'm up for anything, if that's cool.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Unfortunately they're both Play by Post. I'd really like to get together, even if only online, and interact with others in real time.
    I'd like to do that as well, I don't know any places online to do it though. If you know any I'd love to join you.
    Well, my group has tried a few things over the years.

There are different pieces of software we've tried with integrated dice rolling, grid/map/token support, and chatting. We've run games in IRC Rooms and Chat Programs. The group I play regularly with now is just three of us but we don't play D&D or anything other than BESM2e so I'd really like to get another group going. =/

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    edited April 2013
    This is me "speaking up." I am in the same boat and would like to join, if we can get all of the software sorted out. That sounds like a lot of fun.
    The hardest part is finding someone to GM. I've done it a lot in the past but I'm rather burnt out at the moment. If we can get someone to run a game we can work out other issues.
    I definitely lack the experience to DM a campaign.
    The funny thing about DMing, is that all the different skills are things people already know how to do. People know how to tell stories to eachother, and do math, and to get along with people. DMing is like, a subset of all those skills that folds and spindles them into a new shape.

The hardest part is getting the confidence to try.

My first time GMing was a Rifts campaign. The GM said to me, "She's all yours Rory." and I had fifteen minues before game time to come up with something. XD
    I wouldn't mind DMing. I have a world and adventure that I haven't had a chance to run with anyone yet.
    traill
    Well, that solves one problem nicely. Good one, Delvarian.

I spose the next thing to work out is time zones, and how we're going to be able to do this in real time.
    No problem,
    The next couple of days will be a bit tricky for me. Should be sorted by weds though, I'm usually available throughout the day, less at night but can make exceptions. I'm in the eastern standard time zone.
    I'm in EST. I would personally have no problem with an afternoon game but most people are busy during the day and have their leisure time at night.

Let's see~ We also need to settle on a game system. I know a few of them.

Pathfinder would by my first choice followed by 3.5. I can't say I have any real interest in 4e. I tried it before and didn't really care for it, but if everyone else really wanted to I'd go along to get along if you know what I mean. Heh, people have a hard time remembering their own characters from that 4e game we tried, but everyone remembers my Warforged Bard named Smitty.

I even wouldn't be opposed to having to learn 2e if that's what everyone wanted to do.

I'm interested in 3.5 or pathfinder as the system of building characters. I know nothing about 4, and only a bit of 2.
    I'm AEST (GMT +10:00), but I keep weird hours so we should be able to work something out, hopefully. Pathfinder seems to be the consensus so far, and that's fine with me. I don't have any of the books, but there is a couple of great online sources I an use, so it's all good.
    The Pathfinder guys have all their stuff in an official Wiki Online. At least all the mechanics stuff. And I'm willing to help anyone with their character if necessary. I've made a few.
    Can also download most of the pathfinder books real cheap as PDFs on the Pathfinder site.
    All good to know: thanx guys. I've always been more of a roleplayer than a roll player anyway, so I'm not sweating about not having all the resource material. What lvl characters were you thinking of, Delvarian?
    I'm a role player as well, so no worries. Story is more important to me than fighting, not to say that you won't get in fights at all in my game.
    Start at first level I think.
    Little about my world for character creation reasons.
    Humans are prevalent, and tend to rule all the major cities. Elves and Halflings are second class citizens and are often kept as slaves. Dwarves are rare outside their own mountain city, most that you happen upon are outcasts of some kind. Gnomes have their own island and are only seen often in neighboring human settlements. Half-orcs are treated as human for the most part, but cannot hold any real political power.
    All classes are represented.
    That's cool. I enjoy roleplaying most of all. I actually dislike combat to a degree. I love it when it is suitably dramatic and fits with the story, but I wouldn't enjoy a hack n' slash game very much.

For me, combat is an excuse to indulge and test my inner tactician. I usually end up as The Tactician of the group. Literally in one game with my Cleric of Sun Tzu. Oh, golly, I totally screwed over the opposing party. Even the GM said at one point "If you dig a pit trap there you are total-" I can't repeat the end of that...

What about half-elves or the other more exotic races? I usually play human but no harm asking.

What's the general tenor for the game? What's going on? We need to make sure our characters fit with what's going on.
    Half-elves are around, but are even worse off than elves.
    The world is run by humans who have recently built roads connecting the major cities. There is one king, and he recently declared slave owning to be illegal. His kingdom lays to the north and many places to the south still have slaves.
    The elves are nomadic by nature, having lost their homeland decades ago. It is rumored that their homeland lays across the mountains to the east in a land overrun by Orc tribes.
    The Dwarves and Humans get along only grudgingly, the dwarves tend to only leave their mountain home to trade their wares, often setting up just outside the gates of their city.
    Halflings have a small village to the south, though they often travel extensively. Most other races simply ignore them for the most part.
    There are rumors that the Orc bands to the east are joining together to form an army and take the human lands, but most people ignore this idea.
    There are various mage towers and temples around the land, mages spend allmost all their time in the towers studying and being involved in the inner politics among themselves.
    Sorry if my explanations aren't the best today, but I'm not at home. So I'm far away from my notes that I haven't looked at for a couple months :)
    Hehe, that's fine.

That sounds pretty cool.

One thing people are starting to do for their online games is to create a Wiki for it. Then all the players have easy access to the general knowledge stuff their characters should know. And whatever else you decide to put up there. It makes more sense if there are likely to be a series of games in the same setting.
    EST here, too. I'm okay with all discussed so far.
    @Delvarian

So, still interested in DMing for us? We haven't heard anything from you in almost a week. I'd just like to know we're still on track.
    Yes I'm definitely still interested, just had some health issues in my family this week, so haven't been around. Things are sorted out now though.

Do people have any character ideas? Or questions that they need answered before making a character?
    I'm sorry to hear you and yours had some issues. I hope everyone is well now, or will be shortly.

I have ideas for most classes so if we have a lack anywhere I can fill it.
    Once we get a player count if we have space my dad would like to see about playing. He's been missing our regular game too.

Well, we have some background on the races. What about regions? Cities? Can we make up areas wholecloth to fit our characters?

And what kind of game and opening are we going to have? "You all meet in a tavern in the Capitol of X." Is it a game based around a city in particular or a roving band of adventurers or something else?

More details in general would be helpful.
    This is going to be a long post, so bear with me.

I'm going to go over the main cities. People can feel free to be from these areas or make up small villages if they like.

Dorrinkind- city of the Dwarves. Foreign kind is more a series of merchant building built into the side of the High Tip mountains. It is the northernmost city. The actual Dwarven city of Dorrin is built deep within the mountains themselves and only dwarves are allowed within. The king is Kalen Barrelchest. The Dwarves rule by council and all families of influence have a seat. The dwarves are equal opportunity, making no distinction between men and women. Many keep goblin slaves.

Malistane- the capital Human city. Northernmost human settlement, the king Garrus Agathon resides there. Only men are able to be in power. Slaves are forbidden, though elves and halflings tend to live only in the poorest sections of the city. The city has a mage tower run by Issola Kilashandra. Also houses the largest garrison of kings guard headed by Jedeon Orthis.

Labrintine- a southern human city, named for the labyrinth like ruins directly west of the city. Earl Edinor Galton rules the city. Small garrison of kings guard headed by Darak Cheldric, as well as their own city guard. The city's elite keep elvin and Halfling slaves. The city is beset from elvin raids from the southern pale forest, goblin and Orc attacks from the eastern dark lands as well as inner conflict among the kings guard and the city royals.

Bards Gate- eastern human city. The center for arts and learning in the realm. Ruled by earl Baglarond "Bagsie" Malagon. A large group of kings gaurd is stationed here due to its close proximity to the dark lands, lead by Wulfram Garthorn. There are no slaves here, and everyone is equal. If your a bard, you've been to Bards gate.
    Part I I

Galinder- western human city. The smallest human city. Well known as the most corrupt city around. Only a small elite few live above the poverty line, among them Earl Nadreck Lethra. The Kings guard have only a small corrupt garrison lead by Kentar Frey. Anything goes in this lonely city.

Dragon Rock- south western human city. The second largest city after Malistane. Earl Bandroth Hanovar rules and fancies himself king. The city is very insular and few visitors are allowed. It houses its own guard and no kings guard. Women and men are equal here, and most houses have elven slaves.
    A small rangers outpost lays just outside the city and on the border of the pale forest.

Sea home- human city on the western edge of the sea. The earl is Tamarck Umphrod. The city also houses a mage tower run by Devra Norgale. All are equal in the city and no one keeps slaves. Much trade is done with the gnomish city of Gilthest across the sea.

Gilthest- home of the gnomes, on an island in the green isles. An amazing city filled with anything one can imagine. The gnomes are the only atheist race, science and tech being their gods. All are equal here, no slaves are kept. A gnomish council rules and is chosen by lottery every 4 years. Even the captain of the guard here (a council position) is chosen by lottery.

Pinters lake- not a city but a small town to the south. Mentioned because it is the only real Halfling settlement. Halflings being travelers by nature. The town is also known as Halfling hall to some and is a democratic society.

The Pale forest- a forest far to the south. Many elves live in encampments here, as do some humans and even groups of kobolds. The elves believe they have been driven here after their city of Yulin was taken by dark forces to the east in the dark lands. Many dream of someday retaking the city, though if it ever truly existed none remain who know the location.
    Part III A reason to live.

The adventuring party will each find themselves in Malistane. Each character will have their own reason for being there decided by player and DM.

When players decide who their character is and where they are from certain information will be made available to them based on what they would know about the region.

Ok I'm done typing for a bit. Lets here some ideas for characters!