Skip to content

Katanas. Are they worth it?

SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
Well, title says it all. I wanted to start a Blade with katanas for RP, but now I'm swaying towards F/M with Scimitars... Or long swords, since they are just so much better (This discussion is NOT about Blade vs. F/M!). Probably take one pip in BG2 for Celestial Fury.

So katanas... How I see them:
PROs:
1. They are badass cool.
2. d10 dmg for one hand.
3. Pretty good speed factor (but not that much)
4. Celestial Fury.

CONs:
1. Rare. By the time you get a decent one, you are already able to choose from many badass long swords.
2. Have lower THAC0 bonuses than most other weapons in the same game (this also goes for bastard swords in BGEE, but at least we have some different +1 ones with some minor bonuses)
3. In BGEE there's only one katana +1, so no dual wielding.
4. Best katana in BG series (Hindo's Doom) is only +4 even when upgraded, and it get's it's ass kicked by Spectral Brand, Angurvadal, Foebane, Purifier, Flail of Ages and almost all the other top weapons.
5. Apart from Celestial Fury (and Dak'kon's Zerth Blade if you are a bard or F/M) no cool bonuses.
6. Oh, and you can't buy a katana from your starting money in Candlekeep.

So, what do you guys think?
Post edited by Senash on

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    You are worrying too much. With a fighter/mage, there are plenty of proficiency pips to go around since they max at Specialization (**). Why not get him/her good with both scimitars AND katanas?

Start with Scimitars for BG1's sake, but throw a pip in Katana as well.

Level 1: ** Scimitars ** Two Weapon Style
    Level 3: ** Scimitars *** Two Weapon Style
    Level 6: ** Scimitars *** Two Weapon Style * Katana
    BGII HAPPENS
    Level 9: ** Scimitars *** Two Weapon Style ** Katana
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    @Quartz That's not a problem, but I'd like to use katanas more often not just when I get Celestial Fury. I know you are right for some point, since I can get Dakkon Blade when I get out of the Dungeon and then Celestial pretty early too, but they do become obsolete by ToB and Hindo's not much help. (((And I'd still rather play a Blade :) It's just cooler, but it does make me sad, that a F/M can do almost everything that he does, but better...)))

What I'm more interted in is if there are any people here, who are maybe better with the rules than I am and would say, that for that chance for some minor extra damage and that small speed factor bonus it's actually worth it to go with katanas.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    ...Yeah, someone else get this. I'm completely lost as to what the issue is here.
    Quartz said:

...Yeah, someone else get this. I'm completely lost as to what the issue is here.

:D Sorry if I'm a bit incoherent, didn't have much sleep lately...

I think I'm basically missing any good katanas from the game that can measure up to other weapons. (With the exception of Celestial Fury.)
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    only in SoA with celestial fury,after that you'll be better with other weapons( enemies will always make their saving throw and improved mantle will be common)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    If you're trying to find the most powerful one-handed weapon class to choose, flail is a pretty popular choice, in order to use the Flail of Ages.

On a side note, I don't consider speed factor to really be important enough to factor it into a decision of which weapon to use.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Celestial fury is pretty viable outside boss fights in tob, but the problem, hindos dooooooom is not overpowered. Its good enough, and better than the tob dagger, the non-crossbow ranged, and probably better than the suicide stick. Heck, its usually better than the tob spear.

Flail has the foa, but axe has sweet stuff in soa and tob for both hands and throwing.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    A morning start does 2d4 (2-8)damage a katna doe 1d10 (1-10) both have the same average damage of 5. but if you get a crit then the katna does much better.

And Oger mages drop Katna +1 so you can get more then one.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Frosty said:

A morning start does 2d4 (2-8)damage a katna doe 1d10 (1-10) both have the same average damage of 5. but if you get a crit then the katna does much better.

Not all ogre mages, I think only one or two drop +1 Katanas, the rest drop non-magical ones

Frosty said:

Not all ogre mages, I think only one or two drop +1 Katanas, the rest drop non-magical ones
    Also, mornings stars are crushing weapons which is arguably a better damage type.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

Frosty said:

Yes, only one.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    TJ_Hooker said:

On a side note, I don't consider speed factor to really be important enough to factor it into a decision of which weapon to use.

It helps only if you are able to kill your opponent faster than he could have swung at you due to the speed factor. (That's why a Kensai with dual katanas can be so deadly as/she he manages to deliver blows faster and with high APR it can mean he/she will kill lesser enemies faster than they can attack)

To be honest - I am also guilty of trying to powergame at times. And I have tried to determine the best one-hand weapon class to get in ToB...but there's 2 things to consider:

1) There won't be such a bit difference between highest-tier weapons when you are past lvl 20. Honestly...get a weapon that fits your style, your roleplay or that you particularly like. You will be strong anyway. (Okay...maybe not so much with daggers, short swords or some hammers due to their small dmg 1d4 or 1d6)
    2) BG2EE will come with new weapons and new content. You can't foresee what the devs will hide into TobEE. (Maybe a totally killer dagger? (usually the underdog of weapons))
    edited April 2013
    Southpaw said:

2) BG2EE will come with new weapons and new content. You can't foresee what the devs will hide into TobEE. (Maybe a totally killer dagger? (usually the underdog of weapons))

Well, I don't really see that coming :D The dagger is not really for dealing out high damage.
    But you have a point ofc... It would be awesome if they would introduce some new katanas and wakizashis/ninja-tos in ToB (especially a +5 Katana, hopefully).
    And the Dagger of the Star itself is not bad at all... It has a 15% chance to make you go invisible. Now, combine that with Angurvadal +5 in the hands of an assassin rogue, or maybe a stalker, and you got yourself a slaughter fest :)
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Senash said:

It would be awesome if they would introduce some new katanas and wakizashis/ninja-tos in ToB (especially a +5 Katana, hopefully).

I think there is a viable reason there is no Katana +5 in ToB...
    IkMarc said:

I think there is a viable reason there is no Katana +5 in ToB...

Which is?

Southpaw said:

TJ_Hooker said:

It helps only if you are able to kill your opponent faster than he could have swung at you due to the speed factor. (That's why a Kensai with dual katanas can be so deadly as/she he manages to deliver blows faster and with high APR it can mean he/she will kill lesser enemies faster than they can attack)
    Yeah, but with high APR the difference made by speed factor is probably going to be on the order of fractions of a second. And if an enemy is weak enough that you can kill it in 1 or 2 hits, I probably wouldn't be to worried about whether or not he manages to get a swing off. Also, the speed factor difference for katanas is partially offset by the fact that they tend to have a lower level of enchantment than other weapons (and weapon speed factor is decreased by an amount equal to the level of enchantment, e.g. a +2 weapon will have -2 to speed factor).
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I considered editing that out after I realised what I'd said, but decided what the hell, might as well contribute to my shit-pun-quota for the day. XD
    edited April 2013

Katanas already do more damage per hit than other swords, and thus making one +5 would severely compromise the viability of, say +5 Longswords and Scimitars. By keeping katanas at +4 maximum, you give the other types of sword an edge that makes them good choices.

I get the reasoning, but that edge (sorry, I almost spilt my drink on my laptop when I read that :D love it!) is not working, since other swords have other buffs as well.
    Let's see (only 1 handed "large" swords):

BG:EE:
    Katana+1 vs Varscona: 2-11 dmg (6,5 average) +1 THAC0 vs 4-11 dmg (7,5 avg) +2 THAC0 --> +1 dmg, +1 THAC0
    vs Albruin: 5-11 dmg (8 avg) +1 THAC0 (+immunity to poison and detect illusion) --> +1,5 dmg
    Rashad's Talon: 3-11 (7 avg) +2 THAC0 --> +0,5 dmg, +1 THAC0

Clearly all 3 are superior to the Katana +1.

BG2:
    OK, in BG2, without ToB, there is no match for Celestial Fury. Actually maybe some tougher other swords would indeed be welcome there in BG2EE... But, we have Watcher's Keep though:
    Celestial Fury vs Foebane +3: 4-13+5% for 20 electrical dmg (9,5 avg) vs 5-11 (8 avg) with +6 against many types of creatures, which makes it 11-17 (14 avg) in their case. But ofc Fury is still better with its stun (Foebane still rocks against undead and stuff :) )
    Blackrazor is also awesome with its lvl drain heal and STR bonus and haste, but you get it veeery late... (actually that one might even beat the katana...)

ToB:
    Hindo's Doom+4: 5-14 (9,5) dmg +4 THAC0, 10% magic res, immunity to death amgic and 1/day restoration
    vs Angurvadal +5: 8-18 (13 avg) dmg, 22 STR (depends how much you have, but with 18 to start with, plus tomes and without evil bonus from hell, it's still +1 THAC0 and +2 dmg boost; with evil bonus there's nothing to gain in this case) --> +3,5 avg dmg +1 THAC0 with str bonus, maybe more, and neg plane prot, while Hindo gets the defensive buffs and resto.
    vs Foebane +5: 7-13+Laroch's(1-4) (together: 12,5 avg), 1-4 heal for each hit, insane dmg against demons, undead, elementals, etc. and +1 saves --> +3 dmg, minor heal, +1 THAC0 and bonus dmg for foebane, prot buffs and resto for hindo.
    vs Spectral Brand +5: 7-19 (13 avg) dmg, summon spectral blade and +10 THAC0 1/day --> +3 dmg, +1 THAC0, offensive abilities and neg plane prot for Spectral, buffs and resto for Hindo.

So with this, they are actually making katanas do less dmg, than others, while that would be their exact speciality (as always with the exception of BG2:SoA). While the defensive buffs of the Hindo are pretty good, the other 3 washes up the floor with him in turns of offensive capabilities. Even if you would give Hindo that +1 THAC0 and dmg. In BGEE we could have (had) a Katana +1 with some minor buff, like +1 elemental dmg, immunity to fear, movement speed buff, +1 AC buff, +1 saves, or +1 DEX, so oriental playstyle could measure up to the others.

Sorry for the long post! I just got carried away :)
    P.S.: could someone tell me how to do a spoiler tag, so next time I could put all this long stuff under one?
    Post edited by Senash on
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    edited April 2013
    @Senash

Put "[ spoiler ]" (no quotes, close up spaces), then text, then "[ /spoiler ]"

blah blah blah
    @secretmantra Thank you so much!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If you allow Firebead to give you the money in Candlekeep you can afford the Katana.

If that seems like cheating, roll a rogue with a high Charisma and rob the nobleman/noblewoman in the inn by conning them to lock their valuables up.

But you said blade, so let uncle Firebead give you the money and be done with it.
    @deltago doesn't Firebead only give you 300 gold? Winthrop charges 750 gold for the katana (not including charisma/reputation discounts). I think the only ways to get the katana in Candlekeep would be:

-Steal it from Winthrop if you're a thief or bard
    -Get the star sapphire if you're a thief
    Didn't even know about either the Firebead cheese or the star sapphire before, so thanks for that! :) But seems like you are still only able to buy the weapon if you roll a thief or a bard. The cheesy 300, even if combined with the rest of the money and items you can get in Candlekeep doesn't seem enough. And if it is, it still means no other equipment for you.
    @TJ_hooker : I forgot about starting gold. I did it with a Fighter/Mage where the starting gold was over 100 but I just rolled a blade (18 str/18 chr) and was 50 gp short of purchasing it after looting and questing through Candlekeep (without resorting to killing or pickpocketing). Starting gold is what killed me as the game only gave me 40 gp.

The trick is to get and sell the dagger +1 as well for 150 gp (without paying to get it identified using either the spell; or I thought with a bard, tethoril's scroll), with firebead's 300 and other gold just lying around. The Katana cost 635 with a CHR of 18

Breakdown:

Katana 635 (/w 18 chr)
    - 130 starting gold
    - 300 firebead
    - 150 dagger + 1
    - 20 from Hull
    - 18 from the chest /w the scrolls
    - 15 from the chest outside the bunkhouse
    - 5 for killing rats
    gives you 3 whole gp to play with and a bunch of other stuff to sell after purchasing the katana.
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    (Not sure if you can break open the chest with a weapon with the star sapphire or not but tricking the visitors into putting their other jewelry in there too), plus gold done for errands netted my thief over 1000gp. Plenty for Katana, armor, missles and a reputation plus. :)
    Starlily said:

(Not sure if you can break open the chest with a weapon with the star sapphire or not but tricking the visitors into putting their other jewelry in there too), plus gold done for errands netted my thief over 1000gp. Plenty for Katana, armor, missles and a reputation plus. :)

you can't. Not even with 18/00.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    If people think the price is unfair, they could CLUA the gold or re-import the character enough times to get it. If I was RP'ing a character with a katana, I'd do it.