Skip to content

BGEE really isn't what I expected haha

Honestly hearing we were getting a full HD 1920x1080 resolution I kinda expected baldurs gate 1 with the gameplay and story intact but the graphics to get boosted to like NWN or Dragon Age 1 levels or at the very least to BG2 levels.

Got it at launch but only played for a little bit as had issues with party controls so yeah asking for help in the other section for that.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Honestly hearing we were getting a full HD 1920x1080 resolution I kinda expected baldurs gate 1 with the gameplay and story intact but the graphics to get boosted to like NWN or Dragon Age 1 levels or at the very least to BG2 levels.

Who informed you that BG EE would be graphically similar to Dragon Age Origins?
    Noone lol Full HD 1920x1080 just kinda implys a higher level of graphics I guess cause most 1920x1080 games have higher levels of graphics, on top of that the baldurs gate website shows artwork which kinda threw me as well.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    The reason that most games with 1080 resolution have better graphics is because most games with 1080 resolution are new. But if you look at other "HD Edition" games that have been released, you'll notice that none of them really have significantly better graphics than the original games, other than having a higher resolution so that they don't look pixelated. Even this was somewhat hampered for BG:EE, as the source art was lost, meaning that re-rendering the animations in a higher resolution would be prohibitively time consuming (as noted on this page). It's unfortunate that BG:EE wasn't what you were expecting, but it sounds like you probably should have spent a little more time reading up on what BG:EE was all about.
    TJ_Hooker said:

The reason that most games with 1080 resolution have better graphics is because most games with 1080 resolution are new. But if you look at other "HD Edition" games that have been released, you'll notice that none of them really have significantly better graphics than the original games, other than having a higher resolution so that they don't look pixelated. Even this was somewhat hampered for BG:EE, as the source art was lost, meaning that re-rendering the animations in a higher resolution would be prohibitively time consuming (as noted on this page). It's unfortunate that BG:EE wasn't what you were expecting, but it sounds like you probably should have spent a little more time reading up on what BG:EE was all about.

To be honest i'd never seen BG1 because it wasn't sold anymore when I went looking for games. BG2 was rare at the time too. They went out of print for a while there.

Managed to get BG2 but had bugs that stopped it working properly probably because my hardware was too new since it was graphical bugs. But since I couldn't play more than 5 minutes in because of the bugs so I binned it. BGEE was cheap enough that I don't care really and i'll wait for the EE of 2 to come :)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

If you run a vanilla bg2 game with a widescreen mod you'll see it doesn't hold a candle to the BG:EE ... it'll hurt your eyes!

Did exactly that last week and it really made me appreciate BGEE!

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    No one ever promised full HD graphics for BG:EE; quite the contrary. The developers repeated several times that BG:HD would not be an option due to the source art assets having been lost forever.

BG:EE natively supports high resolutions up to 2880x1800, meaning that you don't have to install the widescreen mod to get them.

No one ever promised full HD graphics for BG:EE; quite the contrary. The developers repeated several times that BG:HD would not be an option due to the source art assets having been lost forever.

BG:EE natively supports high resolutions up to 2880x1800, meaning that you don't have to install the widescreen mod to get them.

So if the source art assets no longer exist is this EE basically just an officially modded copy of the original game files?

Also how does the original art assets being missing stop a BG:HD being possible? One would assume they would need to redo the assets anyway to make a HD version making the source art assets redundant? I don't know much about this sort of thing so i'm sure i'm missing something important.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Peteed1985
    The source art assets weren't sprites; they were 3D models from which the sprites were rendered. So if we'd had them, we could have re-rendered them at a higher resolution, which would have given everything the HD quality you were expecting. Re-rendering new sprites from existing 3D models is a lot easier than pixel-crafting entirely new sprites from scratch, which is why it was a sad day when we learned that they'd been lost.

There's other things that we were able to do here, though; apart from the removal of loading screens entirely, there's also the zoom feature that many players can no longer live without, native support for modern systems (although there are still some compatibility issues with Intel's graphics chips), and a number of externalizations and enhancements that could only be handled from within the source code.
    Aosaw said:

@Peteed1985
    The source art assets weren't sprites; they were 3D models from which the sprites were rendered. So if we'd had them, we could have re-rendered them at a higher resolution, which would have given everything the HD quality you were expecting. Re-rendering new sprites from existing 3D models is a lot easier than pixel-crafting entirely new sprites from scratch, which is why it was a sad day when we learned that they'd been lost.

There's other things that we were able to do here, though; apart from the removal of loading screens entirely, there's also the zoom feature that many players can no longer live without, native support for modern systems (although there are still some compatibility issues with Intel's graphics chips), and a number of externalizations and enhancements that could only be handled from within the source code.

Ahh cool I get it now :) so for BG2 are the source art assets still around or is that gunna be the same graphics as the original 2?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Sadly, all of the art assets were lost for both Baldur's Gate games, so BG2 will have similar limitations.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    Bhaaldog said:

Well there is another remedy for HD graphics... drink lots of alcohol... everything looks fine then... well accept for Anomen, but that is another story...

With enough alcohol, even Anomen looks fine. Experts have been unable to determine whether that point can be reached before death though.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    ICN said:

Bhaaldog said:

Well there is another remedy for HD graphics... drink lots of alcohol... everything looks fine then... well accept for Anomen, but that is another story...

With enough alcohol, even Anomen looks fine. Experts have been unable to determine whether that point can be reached before death though.
    Funny thing about healing magic and alcohol poisoning... :|
    Bhaaldog said:

Anomen is not a casting elf, so of course something looks off.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2013
    I'm not really concerned with the graphics; I just hope there's more dialogue/content in BG2:EE. I understand that there are licensing limitations as to what existing NPCs can say (that the the unavailability of most/all of the original voice actors), but I'm really looking forward to a BG2-level of interaction between the new NPCs and the original ones, even if it is only via text.

This isn't a complaint about BG:EE, by the way - just that BG2 took character depth a step forward from it's predecessor and I hope BG2:EE does as well.

Speaking of which, how do the licensing/dialogue restrictions work? Does anyone know what specifically can and cannot be added in this regard? Thanks in advance!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Each game in the series is different from the last.

The first game had the most engine limitations but has a much broader area to explore, more funny little scenes, more random cool bits to find.

The second game is a bit more linear but introduces better and more conversation more in depth characters, etc.

The third game wraps everything up and has lots of crazy battles but is extremely linear due to limitations of licensing and development time.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    TJ_Hooker said:
    Right, this is what I've read - but I know that the new BG:EE NPCs have dialogue interactions with the original "joinable characters," so the distinction is what I'm trying to figure out...the original characters can't have new dialogue on their own, but they can interject during banters with new NPCs?

I suppose that would be along the lines of what I'm looking for - it would be weird to play with Neera, Rasaad, et al without them ever interacting with anyone besides the PC. According to the wording, "altering" is off limits, but adding doesn't seem to be. I know Minsc and Neera have a brief exchange in BG:EE, for example - could those kinds of interactions be elaborated on in BG2:EE?

(thanks TJ_Hooker, btw, for posting the link :)
    That is indeed weird. In my current run, it's charname, Dorn, Edwin and Xzar. It was so damn quiet... I got Xan just to hear someone talk. (It sounds sadder than I expected. O.o)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Onwards! To futility!
    "Xan, I feel so lonely, please talk to me."

"We are all doomed!"

"Thanks, I already feel better."

/confetti