Skip to content

A Player Looking for a Group

2»

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Delvarian Ok, one last question:

How optimized do our characters need to be? I think we share a view on combat not being the focus of the game. Is there going to be an issue in taking a less powerful character concept or class?

I wouldn't think so but I'm trying to dial in on what we're doing and it'd be awful to roll up a fun concept but with a poor execution that leaves the player twiddling their thumbs.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    @captrory

I'm a big believer in rewarding good RP and good ideas in a game. Much of what happens will be determined by who the characters are. In that sense, whatever background/skills you decide on will be incorporated somehow. Anyway, just play what you think will be fun.

I should also note that backstory is important. The better your backstory the more I can take from it for the game.
    Ok, that's great. I'm going to think on this.

I've had a concept for a dual wielding ranger that uses a quarterstaff I've been dying to use but its so far from optimized I had to find the right game to use it.
    @traill @Paladin

So, what do you guys want to do for characters?

I'm thinking I'd like to play a half-elven ranger. I'm letting the details simmer at the moment. I took sick yesterday so I'm a little too out of it still to get into things too much yet. But I wanted to see what you guys wanted to play.
  • trailltraill Member Posts: 22
    I'm thinking an escaped human slave from Labyrinthine. Perhaps an alchemist. Got an idea for a backstory for you, Delvarian. Should I pm you?
    Yes you can PM me if you wish to keep your backstory private.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    How about a Dwarf from Dorrin? Somewhat archetypal, Cleric/Fighter.
    @Paladin Clerics are pretty badass on their own. And the leveling/class system doesn't work the way it does in 2nd Edition.

In Pathfinder (and 3.0/3.5 D&D) your character has one experience total. When you level up, you choose which class to gain a level in. And can have as many classes as you want. Theoretically, nothing prevents you from taking one level in twenty different classes.

In Pathfinder, even more than its precursers 3.0/3.5, the classes are really designed around continuing through all twenty levels in one class. The benefits keep stacking as you continue in one class. Whether the benefits of dipping into certain classes is worth it or not vs. continuing in one class or persuing one of the prestidge classes available depends on what you want from your character.

Because Cleric is a primary spellcasting class, every level you don't take in it or a prestidge class that continues its spellcasting progression, greatly weakens the character's overall power.

If you look at this: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/cleric.html and this http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/fighter.html#_fighter You can see what the two classes give you. (Also here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric and here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter )

Now, if you want to make a Fighter/Cleric, I'm not going to complain. I do want you to be able to make an informed decision. And since I don't know how much you know about Pathfinder... the above explanation. I figured I'd just skip asking what you knew because someone else might need an explanation even if you didn't. *shrug*
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    This was all new to me! Thanks for the information. Cleric it is, plain and simple.
    You're quite welcome.

Clerics are pretty martial all on their own and Dwarves have access to some extra weapons regardless of class.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/dwarf

"•Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon."

So you're in pretty good shape to be a faux-fighter even without multiclassing.
    Correct, and given a decent strength you should be pretty good with a weapon.
  • xenavirexenavire Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2013
    Huh, I keep hearing about pathfinder, but never bothered to actually look at it. It does look very much like a tweaked 3.5, but it is already missing a lot of the supplemental classes/races/rules that I take for granted.

I wouldn't know how to convert a goliath favoured soul into pathfinder, and it doesn't seem to fit in the world, so I have to pass on this, but I must say I am interested in trying pathfinder sometime. Thanks for posting that info, finally got me motivated to check it out.
    Set up a forum page on rpg crossing. You guys can find it here http://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=134228
    @Delvarian I really didn't want to join a big game with a group of people I don't know. Which was the entire point of posting a request here. A game with seven or eight other people, all of them total strangers except for you and @Paladin doesn't appeal to me. So you guys have fun.
    @captrory I know. I'm going to be running a version of the adventure there.
    However also wanted to do a smaller version of the game on a message board sort of thing. So we would all be playing at the same time, like we discussed.
    Everyone here is welcome to join the pbp game on rpgcrossing, which will be a laid back post once a day sort of thing. Or they can simply use it as a resource. I'll be posting game info there. Explaining the world and whatnot.
    I'm still looking for a good rpg message board if anyone knows one.
    @Delvarian Alrighty, you had me worried there. XD
    @Delvarian I apologize for not getting a character backstory in yet. I've been sick for going on my third week now. Going to the doctor tomorrow. I can barely swallow. x_x
    No problem, hope you feel better soon.
    @Delvarian Thanks. Once I get antibiotics I should be feeling pretty good in a couple days.
    @Delvarian Well, I'm finally feeling better so I'm plucking away at this backstory. Any idea where we can find a couple more players? I could recruit at least one if you and @Paladin would like. If its just the two of us we might need to roll up gestalt characters just so we're not short anywhere. XD
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Help i really want to join a Pathfinder/D&D campaign but i can't find anyone avaiable.
    Well, this thread died awhile ago. The biggest hurdle is usually finding a DM. If you're willing to actually run a game, you can usually find a few guys willing to play.