Skip to content

D&D question: Bhaal and necromancy

BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
So i've seen various conflicting reports on this. does Bhaal approve or hate necromancy and the undead? Alot of his followers seem to be undead but I've heard that his cults despise them thoughts?

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The 2nd Edition Faiths and Avatars book doesn't specificly say they love or hate undead, but Bhaal's avatar was capable of resurrecting any corpse as undead with a touch and he often spoke through skeletal undead or used them as servitors.
    If he had a problem with them, I don't think this would be a thing. So I'm thinking they're not a problem.

Where did you hear he'd hate them?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'd say he's fairly ambivilent toward them

On the one hand, you can't murder the undead which makes Bhaal a sad panda.
    On the other hand, you can use them to murder someone which make bhaal the happiest deity in the outer planes.
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    @Drugar the forgotten realms wiki but every other source seems to point to him being ok with undead and necromancy as long as things are being killed as a result.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    ajwz said:

I'd say he's fairly ambivilent toward them

On the one hand, you can't murder the undead which makes Bhaal a sad panda.
    On the other hand, you can use them to murder someone which make bhaal the happiest deity in the outer planes.

lol
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    is there a way i could make him both the lord of murder and undeath in my homebrew world and still have him be "in character" so to speak?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I don't see a problem there.