Skip to content

Divinity: Original Sin - Kickstarter

BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
I couldn't see a post for this yet, so for those who are interested:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin
http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/

"When making large-scale epic RPGs it often helps to summarise what you are trying to make in a couple of lines, just to ensure you don't lose focus during development. You can spend a lot of time trying to come up with these vision statements, but when we started making Divinity: Original Sin, it didn't take us long to come up with the one above. It's simply what we've always wanted to do. The only reason we haven't made this game before was that the following list never made it past the marketing departments of many a known publisher. Now that we are self-funding and self-publishing, we can get away these features:

* an Isometric cRPG
* play in single player mode or cooperative multiplayer mode
* a real epic CRPG, even in multiplayer, you're engaging in more than just combat and item fever!
* cooperative dialog system
* highly reactive world
* deep character development system
* plenty of choice and consequence
* create your own RPG adventures with our powerful RPG editor and share or play them with friends
* combat is very tactical and turn-based featuring: skill and spell combos, attacks of opportunity, action points and much more...
* exploration is greatly rewarded
* develop your character(s) to fit your playstyle using our classless skill and stats system
* countless item interactions and item combinations are waiting to be discovered
* music composed by the brilliant Kirill Pokrovsky"

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    People here who haven't played Divinity 2 (Dragon Knight's saga) are seriously missing out.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    ajwz said:

People here who haven't played Divinity 2 (Dragon Knight's saga) are seriously missing out.

It's on my to-do list. I played the original and wasn't blown away, but it was enjoyable enough. The sequel, however, was very stuttery and lagged too much for me to play in Win XP (I think Steam has this working well in new systems).

Then Ego Draconis came with very lackluster reviews, so the newest came in under the radar.
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    It really does seem like an interesting project. I've backed myself and personally I think the ability to have your companions take a different stance on quest decisions could be an important development in rpg games from now on. Very much an ultima like project where you can interact with everything.

I really hope they get to the perks level (650,000). Not much hope now for the henchmen to be developed into full companions (800,000). Those tiers kind of make me angry as I would rather they develop those things first then have a pocket plane home (500,000).
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8925

Massive preview by the nerdherders at the RPG Codex.

Looks good!
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Divine Divinty is the first CRPG i ever played in my life. I still have dreadful memories of Lona's dungeon.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited April 2013

e with very lackluster reviews, so the newest came in under the radar.

The reviewers are idiots - it's brilliant and very different from any of the games that came before.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Seems like this is getting a lot of good press lately:

They've also hit $700k. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they reach $800k and we'll get some real joinable NPCs.