Skip to content

Will run on my laptop?

DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
edited August 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
System req. says GeForce 2 or similar.

My laptop has a "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Express chipset Family."
It runs BG2 w/o problems, so I take it BG:EE will run smoothly as well?

Thx.

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited August 2012
    Unfortunately, it probably won't.

Contrary to BG2, where only spell effects were hardware accelerated, and even then hardware acceleration could be disabled in favor of 2D rendering, BG:EE is completely hardware accelerated. Integrated Intel video cards such as yours reportedly have performance issues with OpenGL, which is the API BG:EE relies upon to render its graphics.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Maybe that will be solved though. I certainly hope so.
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    How old is your laptop? The devs have said that any computer built post 2004 should be able to run it fine. If your using a computer that is more than eight years old I should think that it is time to upgrade.
  • ThomsonThomson Member Posts: 25
    Will BG:EE run on specifications:
    Intel Celeron 2,7 GHz
    512 MB Ram
    GeForce 2 MX 100/200 ?

Min. settings ofc.
    edited August 2012
    Thomson said:

Intel Celeron 2,7 GHz
    512 MB Ram
    GeForce 2 MX 100/200 ?

Min. settings ofc.

It should yes, but that computer has to be ancient though?
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    @DLite

I could be wrong, but an intel graphics chip this day and age should have the capabilities of a Geforce 2 I would figure? I used to own (well, still do) a Pentium 3 rig that ran an old-school Intel 810 and it was running Half-life openGL pretty darn smoothly if I remember correctly. Baldur's Gate original system requirements weren't that much higher, and Intel 4 series is also much more recent. I have an old netbook that also uses an Intel 4 chip, running Neverwinter Nights (albeit at low settings). If a chip can handle a game like NWN, it should be able to handle BG:EE?

I dunno, I'd personally give it a try. Beyond my typical gaming desktop, I also planned on loading BG:EE on my intel netbook for travelling. Hopefully it works :). When September comes, I can probably report back if someone reminds me.

Edit: I did some searching, and it looks like Neverwinter Nights is an OpenGL game. If my puny intel atom/intel 4 netbook can run that (which, by the way, has system requirements exponentially larger than BG:EE) , I highly doubt an Intel 4 chip would have any trouble with BG:EE. Of course, the only way to tell is to test it when the day comes. The specifications of the Intel 4 also appears to be exponentially better than the old Geforce 2. So yeah, I'd give BG:EE a serious try.
    Post edited by Sylonce on
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    Ok, I'll give it a try then. I bought the laptop 18 months ago.
    T4500 2,3 Ghz, 4 GB ram.
    It runs NWN on the highest setting w/o any problems.

We will see. :)
    DLite said:

Ok, I'll give it a try then. I bought the laptop 18 months ago.
    T4500 2,3 Ghz, 4 GB ram.
    It runs NWN on the highest setting w/o any problems.

We will see. :)

That should run it with no issues that I can think of.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Hmmm i have the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Express chipset Family as well... starting to worry
    byrne20 said:

Hmmm i have the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Express chipset Family as well... starting to worry

What are the rest of your specs?
    4gig of Ram and intel dual core 2.1
    it should, I believe
    @rosestorm
    I hope so.. it will break my heart if it dont lol
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    Uh Oh. I'm going to sound off in the chorus of worried voices. I have Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. The rest of my laptop's qualification should be fine (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz and 2.00 GB RAM), but if my video card isn't up to scratch then I'll have problems. I remember that I had a lot of trouble with the hardware accelerator when I was playing a TUTU version of BG1 (resulting in horrible spell animations that were almost painful to watch), but everything managed to work just fine once I only had BGII installed.

Any chance that we can get some kind of clarification on this before the game gets released?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to put my foot in my mouth at this point and speak up on this. The devs may correct me on this but:

As far as I know, so long as your video card SUPPORTS OpenGL, even if your video card isn't up to snuff it should still run on current gen hardware. As far as I know, if the GPU can't handle the load being required of it, it will offload to the CPU to handle.

Keep in mind that all graphics display is these days is mathematics. Your GPUs have specialized hardware to quickly process the rendering and math involved with displaying pretty moving pictures on your screen. HOWEVER if the GPU can't handle it, the CPU can get involved. Given the low end CPU requirements for this game (the original BG ran on hardware of what? 10 years ago? 15?) originally, I would suspect anyone with a graphics card that supports the function calls being made within the application (i.e. It's got to be OpenGL/DirectX Capable) should probably be able to run it, given that the CPU in most modern machines is so much larger than that available back 10 years ago.

Even the updated/enhanced version shouldn't require a huge amount more processing power than the original, and that leaves plenty of CPU (and threads) available for offloading some of the enhanced graphics work to the CPU to process.

You may have to turn down the graphics a bit, but I suspect it will still run.

This said, I'm no game developer (it's been years since I've touched anything but web based script code), so there could very well be things in modern games that do actually REQUIRE a GPU to make work.
    Sylonce
    Even so, the graphical enhancements to this game aren't that over the top, so 99% of people should have no trouble running it.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Thomson said:

Intel Celeron 2,7 GHz
    512 MB Ram
    GeForce 2 MX 100/200 ?
    @Thomson
    Min. settings ofc.

Buy some more ram it's super cheap and will help a great deal. Get at least 2, 4gb preferable but whatever the capacity as far as number of chips and limits is for the computer do it. 4gb is also limit for 32 bit OS

• GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    Don't laugh (too much) but this is my main PC right now. Will I be able to run BGEE?

LT22 Netbook

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Starter for Small Notebook PCs

Processor AMD V105 (1.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 512 KB L2 cache, 9 W), V Series processor
    Chipset AMD M880G Chipset

Memory1, 3, Up to 1 GB of DDR3 system memory, upgradeable to 2GB using one single-channel DDR3 SDRAM soDIMM module.

Graphics ATI Radeon™ HD 4225 Graphics with 384 MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2), OpenGL® 2.0, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.1, Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 Dual independent display support

16.7 million colors
    External resolution / refresh rates4:
    ■VGA port up to 2456 x 1536: 60 Hz
    ■HDMI™ port up to 1920 x 1080: 60 Hz
    MPEG-2/DVD decoding
    WMV9 (VC-1) and H.264 (AVC) decoding
    HDMI™ (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) support
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    This will run like a dream. Don't worry! Modern computers are more than up to the task. :D
    GoForTheEyesBoo
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97

This will run like a dream. Don't worry! Modern computers are more than up to the task. :D

Thanks, this and when I checked at notebookcheck made me so happy!
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    Damn, am I glad now I opted to buy the laptop with a ATI Radeon HD 6000 ish, since it should run this no problem.
  • kitstjohnkitstjohn Member Posts: 3
    Yes this is a big relief. Cheers
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @VampQueen31 Are you using a 6630m?
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    6520g actually, but im continually impressed at what games it'll run.
  • HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    I have a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family with a Intel Celeron @ 2.00 Ghz and 2GB of ram. I really hope I can run this game.
    @Hobojoe0858 I hope so to man.
  • MuscabMuscab Member Posts: 14
    My spaceship.
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz (2 CPUs)
    2008MB RAM
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Remember this, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is not a sequel of Battlefield 3, why should you worry whether your computer can support it or not? Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition doesn't have a significant graphics improvement such as from Final Fantasy 1 to Final Fantasy 13. There is no such thing. This is still our beloved old-school rpg graphics. And yes there are some improvements for the graphics but it just a minor one. Again, as I said, they won't turn Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition to Diablo 3's graphics. You guys shouldn't worry because I bet that our old spaceship can run this upcoming game smoothly and beautifully. Remember this bet.

I have tested many modern games in this spaceship including Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 3, The Sims 3, Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X, Gears of War, Dead Space 2 and so on; all of them are playable. If I can run these modern games beside this integrated gpu, why on earth it can't run Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition? I believe this gpu can run Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition in at least near max settings or fully max settings without any problems. No joke.
    Here is a good test for anyone that has played Baldur's Gate 2, if your computer can play that as BG:EE is using the same engine then you should be fine. Any computer made in this century should be able to play this game just fine.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I don't know why these people are worried.
    You ALL meet the system requirements.
    Here's what you can play with the Intel 4 series: LINK LINK2
  • HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    I can run BG2 flawlessly practically, but when I turn 3D mode on it gets a bit laggy.