Skip to content

Suddenly the final battle got easy!

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
I was about to do the final battle with a six person party (abjurer, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Kivan and Viconia) , everyone at about level 7 , and right before it I thought "okay, I remember it's a tough battle, so let's buff up with strength and protection potions ".

As you can see, nothing extraordinary , no more than anyone else would do for the final battle , and my items were magical weapons such as varscona or bow and arrow, spells and wands.

Well, so I entered the temple, spoke to Sarevok, and released a few gnolls with wand of summoning. Semaj teleports next to us and kivan shoots a dispelling arrow - he's dispelled, and everyone shoots him to death.

Then, Kivan shoots another dispelling arrow at Angelo , and Khalid jumps at him with Varscona. He didn't last long either. Gnolls are dead, so I summon a few more monsters.

My mage , Imoen and viconia tried casting disabling spells at Tazok, but to no avail. Kivan gets his revenge by striking an acid arrow on tazok's heart and finishing the beast.

Sarevok remains uninjured, but we managed to kill him with magic missiles, arrows, sling bullets and close attacks from khalid and jaheira...

Aside from a few injuries, we managed to kill everyone with simple tactics. To end... like this?

I tried installing SCS:EE , but windows 7 doesn't allow it ( yes, Win7 is lawful evil for sure)

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Wait a minute, you can't install SCS for EE with Windows 7? That can't be right... By which I mean, you could be having a bug of some sort, but not the expected behavior.

Otherwise, what difficulty level were you at? Novice? (I.e., set difficulty slider all the way to the left to be certain of success scribing a spell, and forget to move it back?)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It was core rules - everyone caused normal damage , including Sarevok (although normal damage for him is 18-30 , I guess).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I had a surprisingly easy time of it as well with Dorn, Shar-Teel, Montaron, Viconia, Baeloth and my Sorcerer PC. We had three scrolls of Cloudkill, so I gave two to my Sorcerer and one to Baeloth, and moved them up to the sides of the big floor emblem. Just before Sarevok would've seen them, I had them stop and fire off two Cloudkills to cover the entire top of the room. They retreated back down and launched the last Cloudkill into the center of the room.

Angelo, Tazok and Semaj were all taking heavy damage; as soon as Sarevok emerged into the clear and gave his speech, I sent Dorn, Shar-Teel and Montaron after him, with Viconia and the sorcerers buffing them (Haste, Bless and Defensive Harmony). By the time Semaj made it out of the Cloudkills to start casting spells, Sarevok was already dead.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    I havent gotten to Sarevok on BG EE yeet, but in my version of Baldurs gate he had 100% Magic Resistance. It made the fight really hard ;_;
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, he seemed really easy when I did my no reload run. Nothing special at all, just started with a dispel, followed right behind by potions of explosions and fireball, ran back to kill semaj, replaced my first summons and started pelting them with arrows of explosions, replaced those summons and sarevok was stuck in a web trap from earlier. I have never seen him get stuck in a web trap. Did the EE make him easier?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Samus said:

Perhaps the final battle with Sarevok et al. should be made more difficult...

That should be left up to modders :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Sarevok is tougher with SCS installed.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    @Fubby that's right, original BG Sarevok had 100% MR. I've seen screenshoots of one guy playing BGEE with a minimun stat solo sorcerer killing sarevok with just two spells, web, to hold sarevok in place, and spider spawn. Thankfully we have SCS

@DJKajuru that's very weird, I'm currently playing SCS v23 on my windows 7 laptop and it works juts fine. Did you follow the installations steps?
    @Dexter, I've had this problem with a few G3 mods as well - the installation window opens and then suddenly closes again. It doesn't happen to all mods , but having BGEE is a relief, cause now I don't have to reinstall BG2 whenever I wanna play Tutu.

Yeah, he seemed really easy when I did my no reload run. Nothing special at all, just started with a dispel, followed right behind by potions of explosions and fireball, ran back to kill semaj, replaced my first summons and started pelting them with arrows of explosions, replaced those summons and sarevok was stuck in a web trap from earlier. I have never seen him get stuck in a web trap. Did the EE make him easier?

Nay, Tutu Sarevok could be held or webbed if he failed his saves, too.
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    elminster said:

Samus said:

Perhaps the final battle with Sarevok et al. should be made more difficult...

That should be left up to modders :)
    Says Elminster.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited April 2013
    I had an easier time of it in EE, too. Granted, I littered the temple with traps and paralyzed and poisoned Sarevok while I pummelled his cronies...but yes. An easier time of things!
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    The first time I did the final battle it was VERY hard. (We are talking early internet days, so the information you had was pretty much what you learned by playing)
    Once I started using (instead of saving for later) potions and used spells to buff pre fights, everything got muuuuuch easier.

Littering with traps and cloud kills is also a way to win I suppose, but I would feel a VERY limited amount of satisfaction from that.

You are learning the game @DJKajuru , time to raise the difficulty =)
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    I've started an scs insanity run with a custom party and while I've reloaded it's not as bad as i thought (though still much tougher than core vanilla), just did mulahey and I can't wait for the big fights
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    I beat the entire boss fight with only one character (fighter) and without attacking once. Bonus points if you can figure out how : P

(I had 126 hp from max HP/level, that helped alot. This was core difficulty in the original version)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @DJKajuru and @Lemernis

The problem with installing mods on Win7 is due to the UAC (User Account Control) feature that gives the user a hard time messing with the contents of the "Program Files" folder.

A way around that is to always run your WeiDU installers by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator".

The long-term solution is to install the game OUTSIDE of the Program Files folder. Consider creating a folder like C:\Games or something!
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    By the way, that party is an awesome combination. I'd only prefer Minsc over Khalid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    That is correct Samus... but without the Protection from Magic scroll you will most likely die. I didn't think the traps effected NPCs though.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Sarevok can be an easy fight, especially with the xp cap increase from TotSC. Which makes me wonder why people want to remove the xp cap in the first place...
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I found Sarevok pretty easy even with SCS, but that's because you can pull each of the dudes one by one.

I think the hardest SCS fight in BG1 was the one outside the Cloakwood mine. That, and those awful spiders.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    You know, it's possible that we are all 15 years older and more experienced than we were the first time we played this game.