Skip to content

Jaheira should have her proficency points changed to reflect her staff fighting skills

XezmeraudeXezmeraude Member Posts: 91
This is something I always found irked me about Jaheira. Since she is a fighter druid and druids of all types shun metal no matter what, (Thank you shadow keeper) I always do this with Jaheira in BG2 to make her more like a little john knid of Character. Since metal is shunned remove the sword and shield proficiency point along with the scimitar point. You now have +2 to put anywhere. I put them on Two handed fighting style. The +2 club I remove. Shes more into her staff than a club. I take those points and Put them on sling and Quarterstaff. Thus making Jaheria the little John of Faerun and she is muh more in character when shes:

Quarterstaff++
Sling++
Two-Handed Fighting Style++

Perfect Jaheira concept and more appropriate to her style of fighting and makes her more of a fighter kind of druid still keeping her on the nature side of things but a offensive kind of druid when the need arises. If Overhaul devs want to include this into the fixes of the game. It would make Jaheira a more stand out supportive druid. With that setup. I never go back to the old Jaheira ever again. This set up is far more cannon to her as in PNP rules Druids even that are Fighter/Druid multi-class CANNOT wear metal at all. I have tried many proficiency choices and this one always won in the end. I let you all use this set up and Overhaul you an consider it as a last minute touch up on her before releasing the game. Lets make her more useful and more combat oriented with her staff and make a little john kind of fighter in the game. It makes it fit her role and her personality perfectly. Agree with me everyone. No one can argue with a Jaheira based like that. She has done far more with this set up than any other combination I have ever tried to make her be as. This one came out with flying colors. Youll be happy with how much better she survives and can handle her own while even casting druidry seplls in the back. Anyone wants to mess with her when they approach her. Feel the wrath of a muich more faster swinging +4 to weapon speed quarterstaff user and a much stronger slinger when range is needed. +1 damage and critical cannot be passed up either. She is still teh same in every other stat in her character screen. I just dont like her original proficiency set up. Its not based on a druid at all. Remove the metal proficencies and go this way. You will love Jaheira a long time like I have :)
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I kind of agree with you, but I was not aware that a multi class druid couldnt use metal... You sugestion is good even if they can use metal weapons. But I don't think they can change jaheira stats, only the new npcs.
  • XezmeraudeXezmeraude Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2012
    Its not hardcoded hence why Shadowkeeper can change it. They at the time were unaware about druids in 2nd edition couldnt use metal. It was a slight oversight they didnt pay attention on. It can be changed. Its just up to them if they want to or not. But I never liked Jaheira for being too much of a hybrid choice to build when everyone else had a straight up choice to pick and build on. This gives Jaheira that oversight corrected and follows her on what she intentionally should be set up as.
    Post edited by Xezmeraude on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I love Jaheira, but I can't understand how this is supposed to make her more usefull. I can understand those P&P rules thought I don't like them. Not. One. Bit.
  • XezmeraudeXezmeraude Member Posts: 91
    Exactly why I made this post. She is definitely not following rules right on druids. Even if a druid multi or duals into a fighter. Beause of being a druid, you arent allowed metal equipped regardless. So i figured to fix that. The logical choice was to make her more like a quarterstaff weilder but more proficient in it. So little John came to mind. Master of a staff and sling and he lives in the forests. Theres the perfect example of what Jaheira is to be. The female version of Little John. It makes her alot more useful in the terms proficiency points wont be wasted making her hybrid in 5 different proficiencies unlike everyone of the other NPCs focusing more likely among their class traits. This gives Jaheira a much stronger combat oriented style to her rather than having a choice among 3 ifferent types of making Jaheira and having her end up being weaker in them because the proficiency points were disperced among her stupidly. It makes Jaheira far more superior than she was set up like this and makes her a much more useful druid supporter as she was intended to be. Having another tank is pointless and she wont have much option to use her spells while shes fighting and if she up closer to the enemy. They risk interfering her while she casts. She is better off as I stated than having her waste away like this.....

Club++
    QuarterStaff+
    Scimitar+
    Sword/Shield Style+
    Sling+

That to me isnt Jaheira at all and Druids cant use metal as what PnP states. Druids live on nature. Metal isnt considered nature. Leather is animal Hide. They will wear it because amimals are a creature of nature. Metals are nothing real. They dont eat breathe or live. Hence why druids are offended by people who protect themselves behind them rather than living as one to nature. Jaheira in her old portrait showed her hold a quarterstaff. Why would she want a club when a quarterstaff is a longer stick than a club and is more versatile than a measly club. She favors the staff over a club obviously.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Ok. No scimitars, daggers, shields, metal armor, spears (blade is made of steel so sorry, can't use it), HELMETS... Druids were always inferior to Priests in BG, now you are taking this inferiority to whole new level. So, we have FIGHTER/Druid, who have little measures to defend herself (bad armor, no shield or helmets) and miserable weapon (1k6 for 2-handed weapon is worse than joke). Anything to compersate for it? Nothing at all. 2-handed weapon style is not changing the fact that quarterstaves are just weak and 1 more point in slings results in 1/2 more attack per round and +1 to hit and +2 to damage. Wow, that's cool.

Her old proficiences had 1 big advantage. Had you level her up a little, you could spend a point in one of those "+" proficiences, and thus, choose her fighting style which you like the most. If I wanted to make her use slings, I could do it. If I wanted to make her using scimitars, I could do it. Same for quarterstaffs. Had your suggestion would be ever implemented, my choice would have gone.

I know that according to P&P druids just shouldn't use metal equipment. But, this is a game we are talking about. Do that, and you make druids even less usefull that they ever was.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited August 2012
    That's the way 2e worked, though. (Scimitars and daggers were special cases, having to do with the harvest rituals performed by druids in source material) 3e relaxed things in a lot of ways, you can use whatever any of
    your classes can use but Druidic spellcasting is hampered by being cut off from nature such as wearing metal armor.

*ed: Personally I don't recommend we move to a system with greater restrictions. Aside from the Shapeshifter kit and the Insect spells, Druids don't really have anything to recommend them above clerics in the base game, especially with their extremely lackluster leveling scheme and lack of access to raise dead spells.

Side note: I personally play with Ashes of Embers, which removes weapon proficiency restrictions from all classes, because I don't think the old way makes a lot of sense.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    She should be able to use Ankheg armor, then. And leather, but studded leather is right out because metal studs...
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Isn't one of the best druid weapons in BG2 a scimitar, which is druid only? Made of metal n all.
    She should be able to use Ankheg armor, then. And leather, but studded leather is right out because metal studs...
    And every flavour of Dragon armour.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Some of the best weapons in BG2 are Quarterstaffs (Quarterstaves?), having her use one shouldn't be much of a hindrance.
    Baldur's Gate 1 suffers for it though. A badass quarterstaff there wouldn't hurt.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    You're wrong about the restrictions on druids.

Druids in 2E could only use "natural" armors -- i.e. padded, hide or leather armor, and wooden shields. This restriction was made only for armor, however. While their weapon list was sharply limited, it included scimitars, sickles, darts, spears, and daggers -- all of whom have metal parts. (The rest of the list is slings, staves, and clubs.)
  • LorfeanLorfean Member Posts: 43
    Aranneas said:

And every flavour of Dragon armour.Icewind Dale does an awesome job at this actually -- there is a Black Dragon Scale armor in that game that Druids can use even though it's technically, in terms of game mechanics, a chain armor. Same goes for the Rhino Beetle Shield, which is technically a large shield, a category that Druids are normally locked out of (they can only use bucklers). But both items are obviously made from natural materials, so Druids can equip them :) always loved that attention to detail and its one of the reasons that I always bring a Druid along in IWD.

Talking about dragon armors btw -- did anyone else ever feel that the way they were implemented in BG2 was a bit... cheap? I was always bothered by the obvious categorization/restrictions of the armors -- ie.: Shadow Dragon Scale = leather, White Dragon Scale = chain, Blue/Red Dragon Scale = plate. I'm a bit fuzzy on the actual pen and paper rules, but shouldn't armors made from exotic materials like this be usable by almost any class, instead of just following the restrictions of whichever category (leather/chain/plate) they are assigned to? This is certainly true for items like the Bladesinger Chain in BG2 and the Elven Chain in ToB, as well as the above-mentioned Black Dragon Scale in IWD.

Druids in 2E could only use "natural" armors -- i.e. padded, hide or leather armor, and wooden shields. This restriction was made only for armor, however. While their weapon list was sharply limited, it included scimitars, sickles, darts, spears, and daggers -- all of whom have metal parts. (The rest of the list is slings, staves, and clubs.)
    Scimitars, sickles, and daggers all sneak by for being ritual weapons. Neither spears nor darts are required to have metal parts. In my games druids just used those that don't.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Drugar said:

Some of the best weapons in BG2 are Quarterstaffs (Quarterstaves?), having her use one shouldn't be much of a hindrance.
    Baldur's Gate 1 suffers for it though. A badass quarterstaff there wouldn't hurt.

Theres a +3 Quarterstaff purchasable in the Expansion town, along with a +2 Staff Spear and Staff of Striking in Durlags Tower.
    @Lorfean
    I don't have my books here but if I recall, the amount of material provided determined what you could make from it. A young blue dragon would have enough for a Hide Armour for a medium creature or the equivalent of a breastplate for a small one. To get a full plate out of a dragon, you'd have to find a Huge or Gargantuan beast.
    Considering BG's lack of an actual crafting mechanic (Cromwell/Cespenar don't really count) and lack of size determining, they just defaulted it to Armour X for Dragon Scale X
  • LorfeanLorfean Member Posts: 43
    @Drugar
    Thanks, that's interesting. But would it also be correct then that Thieves, for example, cannot use a chain armor made from dragon scale? Because they can use elven chain... I'm sure there's rules for this, probably connected to the weight of such an armor, etc. and it would be nice to find out, because the implementation in BG2 just doesn't "feel" right.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    My previous main character, my human male paladin, Got to see Jaheiras proficiency with staffs a number of times. He were very pleased with the crits she could get when she got her hands on a good staff.

Ahh innuendo.. What would I do without you :)

Dirty jokes aside.. if you remove the druid profficiency with everything metal, you kinda nerf them to the ground. So you would either have to implement a lot of "druid" armor to compensate, or just leave them as a class no one would play.

I ofc, would still bring Jaheira with me, because her staff handling skills usualy take the focus from the other romance options :)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    This one time I went to tree - hugging camp, and shoved a wooden quarter staff up my .... ouch, splinters!
  • TrisTris Member Posts: 8
    Lorfean said:

@Drugar
    Thanks, that's interesting. But would it also be correct then that Thieves, for example, cannot use a chain armor made from dragon scale? Because they can use elven chain... I'm sure there's rules for this, probably connected to the weight of such an armor, etc. and it would be nice to find out, because the implementation in BG2 just doesn't "feel" right.

Well I don't know if it is a rule or just lore, but the elven smithing techniques (and probably materials) have a tendency to make for lightweight but sturdy (and heavily enchanted) armors that don't hinder the wearer's movement.
    This is the explanation given as to why thieves can use elven chain, and why thieves/mages can wear them and still cast spells.
    As for dragon scale armor, if you make a heavy armor of it, it is bound to hinder movement, and can therefore not be equiped by thieves.
    Tris said:

Well I don't know if it is a rule or just lore, but the elven smithing techniques (and probably materials) have a tendency to make for lightweight but sturdy (and heavily enchanted) armors that don't hinder the wearer's movement.
    This is the explanation given as to why thieves can use elven chain, and why thieves/mages can wear them and still cast spells.
    As for dragon scale armor, if you make a heavy armor of it, it is bound to hinder movement, and can therefore not be equiped by thieves.

Also, it's pretty impossible to make *chain* mail out of dragonscale.

Light armour would be leather or hide armour, using the soft bendable parts (or not fully grown scales of a younger dragon) as protection. Scale Mail and later Plate Mail would use the scales as protection with a normal iron chainmail under it.
    So thieves could use the Light Armour version, yes. Heavy Armour is still too heavy.
    @Kharas Let's leave Cernd and his +5 Staff of Penetration out of it... ;)
    edited August 2012
    @LadyRhian A guy that can take the shape of large animals and still use a +5 Staff of penetration, is not some one I would want watching my back in the dark tunnels of the Underdark.. Who know when he would find the situation fitting for a "backstab".

Naa, In that situation id much rather trust Jaheira with her hands on a mighty staff! That outcome would have a much higher treasure rate!
    @Kharas Well, that would be a real pain in the ass...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Its not hardcoded hence why Shadowkeeper can change it. They at the time were unaware about druids in 2nd edition couldnt use metal. It was a slight oversight they didnt pay attention on. It can be changed. Its just up to them if they want to or not. But I never liked Jaheira for being too much of a hybrid choice to build when everyone else had a straight up choice to pick and build on. This gives Jaheira that oversight corrected and follows her on what she intentionally should be set up as.

It's not whether or not they can change it. They are contractually obligated to not change it. No changes can be made to the character sheets of the original NPCs.
    @LadyRhian Yup... but at least.. if you were unlucky and you ended up in that situation.. At least its in a universe where clerics can cast cure disease and Mind blank on you..
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Aranneas said:

Scimitars, sickles, and daggers all sneak by for being ritual weapons. Neither spears nor darts are required to have metal parts. In my games druids just used those that don't.

There is no basis for that kind of restriction in 2nd Edition, though -- especially if you allow normal scimitars, sickles and daggers. There's absolutely no reason to enforce such a restriction in Baldur's Gate.

Also, you cannot have a dart -- of the kind seen in Baldur's Gate, which are similar to the darts board game -- without a weighted tip; it wouldn't have any heft and would be impossible to throw.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Im a big fan of staff fighting no matter the game, sounds good to me ;D
    @Kharas I needed the second one after my "romance" with Anomen. Not my character. ME.

@Drugar You're right. They should all be scale mail, banded mail or Plate mail (going by how large those scales are and how old the dragon was). The only way I could see leather coming out of that is if they used the wings, but that would be more like hide armor, because a dragon's wings are relatively fragile. I suppose there could be some magical way of strengthening the hide there to be as protective as chainmail, but that would take magic, not leather tanning skills. So, Dragon Scale armor- weight as scale, protection as some other sort of armor depending on how old the Dragon the mail came from was. Protects as a Ring of Protection from (Dragon's Breath weapon- Fire, Lightning, and so on- and that's just as a base.
    @LadyRhian Ye.. I have heard that the Anomen-romance is a good combination of whining and pain.. whine from him.. and pain for the player char...

But look at it like this. The fact that the anomen - female player char romance is like that, is just yet another proff of this being a fantasy game.. because we all know that in real world relationships.. the guy gets to feel pain.. and the woman gets to whine :)

And now I will go hide somewhere the pitchfork/torch wielding mob cant find me!
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    One thing to keep in mind regarding changing Jaheira's weapon proficiencies - since the developers made an oversight and expected her to have the ability to use metal armor, her current version is their intended build for her, meaning taking away this ability would reduce her overall effectiveness.

In short, if you take away that ability you'd need to boost something else. I'd suggest upping her constitution score to as much as 18. Not that I think the EE devs will actually make changes to her.