Skip to content

The Problems of Power

I'm posting this because I see so many posts here in the help for new players section asking for most powerful this or the best that.

First off, I want to state for the record, that if that is the way you prefer to play a/this game then be all means enjoy yourself. Games are personal entertainment and how you choose to play is up to you.

That being said I'd like to offer you a reflection of some of my experiences with Baldur's Gate.

I was a freshman in college when this game (the original Baldur's Gate, not the EE version) came out and have played it on off with and without mods for quite some time. It was an awesome experience, because I played it without any knowledge of what to expect. I didn't know what class was the best, about min/maxing of stats, about what weapon type offered the best damage, or what 90% of the spells did. I learned. I've played with all 18's in stats, with decent rolls (over 85), with the minimum roll possible (75), as most of the classes and NPCs, solo runs, no re-loads, and numerous other ways, and the most enjoyment comes not from crushing my enemies by being overpowered, but by being competitive and using resources to defeat the obstacles the game presents. All of those play-throughs gave me something new, but none of them could ever compare with my first time through the game.

Please explore at your own pace and leisure this great treasure of PC gaming as many of those who are here to help you have done, but realize you have something that every single one of them would give up most of that knowledge for... the chance to play this game again without meta knowledge... when it was fresh and new.

I hope you all enjoy this game and share it with others who will in turn enjoy it too!

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

I'm posting this because I see so many posts here in the help for new players section asking for most powerful this or the best that.

First off, I want to state for the record, that if that is the way you prefer to play a/this game then be all means enjoy yourself. Games are personal entertainment and how you choose to play is up to you.

That being said I'd like to offer you a reflection of some of my experiences with Baldur's Gate.

I was a freshman in college when this game (the original Baldur's Gate, not the EE version) came out and have played it on off with and without mods for quite some time. It was an awesome experience, because I played it without any knowledge of what to expect. I didn't know what class was the best, about min/maxing of stats, about what weapon type offered the best damage, or what 90% of the spells did. I learned. I've played with all 18's in stats, with decent rolls (over 85), with the minimum roll possible (75), as most of the classes and NPCs, solo runs, no re-loads, and numerous other ways, and the most enjoyment comes not from crushing my enemies by being overpowered, but by being competitive and using resources to defeat the obstacles the game presents. All of those play-throughs gave me something new, but none of them could ever compare with my first time through the game.

Please explore at your own pace and leisure this great treasure of PC gaming as many of those who are here to help you have done, but realize you have something that every single one of them would give up most of that knowledge for... the chance to play this game again without meta knowledge... when it was fresh and new.

I hope you all enjoy this game and share it with others who will in turn enjoy it too!

i agree
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2013
    I thought this thread was going to be about power. And I was preparing my game of thrones quotes like this exchange between Varys and Tyrion:

"Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less.”

“So power is a mummer’s trick?”

“A shadow on the wall,” Varys murmured, “yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.”

Tyrion smiled. “Lord Varyls, I am growing strangely fond of you. I may kill you yet, but I think I’d feel sad about it.”

“I will take that as high praise.”
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    @smeagolheart

Not to derail my own thread, but...

I love me some Song of Ice and Fire... in that context I'm in the "I read the book(s)."club Winter has been coming for a long time indeed, just about as long as Baldur's Gate has been out. I still haven't found a series as good as the first 3 books in that series. Pure awesomeness.

Now back to my public service announcement for new players...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

@smeagolheart

I love me some Song of Ice and Fire... in that context I'm in the "I read the book(s)."club Winter has been coming for a long time indeed, just about as long as Baldur's Gate has been out. I still haven't found a series as good as the first 3 books in that series. Pure awesomeness.

@Fighting_Ferret haha not to further derail your thread but I really agree. First three books are classics. The first one especially is very focused and awesomesauce with a great driven plot. The next two are great as well. Classics.

4th was kinda odd in that it didn't feature most characters from the first three and featured in odd locations. Fifth book was good - and yet also disappointing in what didn't happen. Seemed like there was lots of traveling, not much goings on in 1000k pages. Also beloved characters acting differently than they had in previous books (Tyrion a clown? and Dany seemingly regressing in maturity).
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

@smeagolheart

@Fighting_Ferret haha not to further derail your thread but I really agree. First three books are classics. The first one especially is very focused and awesomesauce with a great driven plot. The next two are great as well. Classics.

4th was kinda odd in that it didn't feature most characters from the first three and featured in odd locations. Fifth book was good - and yet also disappointing in what didn't happen. Seemed like there was lots of traveling, not much goings on in 1000k pages. Also beloved characters acting differently than they had in previous books (Tyrion a clown? and Dany seemingly regressing in maturity).
    i think you shoud not spoil the fun for others reading
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    The real problem with "Playing for fun and making mistakes and not playing for power" etc etc is that its not fun to die over and over again because you made a bad build because you had no idea what you were doing. Its no fun finding out you put proficiency slots into a weapon that isn't nearly as useful as another weapon you could have used. Its not fun finding out your class is weaker in every way then another class you could have used.

What I'm saying is that you should explore the game on your own, enjoy every minute of it, love it, learn and grow...but theres nothing wrong with getting some advice that will save you a head-ache in the long run.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Necomancer I agree. One of the things I look for when starting a new game is No Spoiler Advice. Like, getting a list of rando junk to stockpile because its important later, what things to absolutely avoid, etc.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2021
    This game came out when I was pretty young... and I certainly didn't power game back then. I actually feel like I enjoy the game more now that I know everything. Also... you can't really optimize that much if you only make one player character and then go get NPCs. Now... if you create 6 characters and play multiplayer... then you can really dominate the game. Thats what I did recently and it was a ton of fun... hurray! I always use a walkthrough as well as do some editing in Gatekeeper.

Basically... not everyone is like you : D
    Post edited by ShadowTiger on