Skip to content

Silence 15' spell

Has anyone else noticed that Silence 15' has gotten an upgrade? It now comes with a minus 6 penalty to save, making it extremely hard to save against. I think that's fantastic.

When did they change it? Was it with v. 2014? I didn't catch the change when I was last playing on v. 2013.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    It's always had a -5 penalty on the save.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yes I clearly remember it always had that massive -5 to save, (in PnP there is no save at all, but the effct is stationary to the area) that is written in the description too. Grease has +3 bonus to save while mage hold person has -1 to saves, these are the undocumented save adjustments I remember from the top of my head.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @lunar That's why I like to layer multiple effects. X might fail, but with X, Y, and Z they're going to fail a save somewhere!
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    still not super useful, as most arcane caster's have a vocalize memorized (at least in BG2) (which can be cast while silenced) (it's part of why I stopped using it all together when almost every mage you come across counters it by just casting vocalize, which lasts long enough for them to empty their most dangerous spells anyway (and liches and the like are immune), though against very low level wizards or divine caster's it can be useful (though divine casters are MUCH less dangerous and just more annoying unless very high level).
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    mages usually carry has 1 vocalize and you can try silence them more than once. Also, the spell doesnt trigger red hostile circle, so you can cast it many times until it stick.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    Silence is good against 2 or more casters since there is a higher chance of it hitting. Against a single caster use miscast magic, hold person, or web. In BG2 you need Greater Malison if you want to hit enemies with spells, their saving throws almost never fail.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    bbear said:

mages usually carry has 1 vocalize and you can try silence them more than once. Also, the spell doesnt trigger red hostile circle, so you can cast it many times until it stick.

Yeah, you can cast it from outside their line of view. For example getting back from Nashkel Mines, stop in front of the store to cast Silence near the Inn entrance. You'll see Nimbul get silenced and then you can chunk him safely! Works with most encounters in the game if you want to be cheap :D