Skip to content

How to use Mods?

I've recently come back to Baldur's Gate to mess around with the Enhanced Edition after the golden days of the original, however I have never used a mod with it at all. Can someone please explain in layman's terms so that I may understand how to use them. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited May 2013
    @Samus it really depends on what you're looking for. The NPCs are well written and the equipment mods are, mostly, not overpowered
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • LarkairnLarkairn Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the quick posts, the thing i'm really confused with is -where- to put the mods, like do I have to create a new file or what? I just can't seem to find anything to suggest where. :s
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    You must put them to the game's core folder, which is the one with file "chitin.key" in it. For me it's "00766" folder, but I heard that the name of the folder may differ.
    Yeah I do have that folder but do I have to create a new folder inside of that to store the mods?
    No, you just extract the mod into this folder and run the setup...exe file there. However, if the mod is not Weidu mod (which means it doesn't have setup...exe file), but only an override mod (which only consists of a bunch of game files), then you put that mod directly into the "override" folder.
    ...and if you don't have an "override" folder, you just create one. That's probably what confuses some people; the folder doesn't exist by default.
    Thank you guys so much for being patient and understanding!
    edited April 2013
    Ah sorry about this... I've tried using one of the setup.exe files however I get an error saying it is unable to find a 'DIALOG.TLK' appreciate the help.

You know what nevermind! Figured it out myself!
    Post edited by Larkairn on
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    How about new portraits
    do you create a new folder named portraits
    Yes.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Unless you are overriding existing portraits, in which case you put them in the override folder (unless you are on iPad, in which case you create a portraits folder).

Unless you are overriding existing portraits, in which case you put them in the override folder (unless you are on iPad, in which case you create a portraits folder).

I've read that several times, but I don't know where it's coming from. I have win7 and I put all portraits in the Portraits folder and the overriding ones override existing portraits there.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Pecca said:

I've read that several times, but I don't know where it's coming from. I have win7 and I put all portraits in the Portraits folder and the overriding ones override existing portraits there.
    @Pecca

The overriding ones will work in both Portraits and Override, but I prefer to use Override so they will show also in NearInfinity.
    Erg said:

Pecca said:

@Pecca

The overriding ones will work in both Portraits and Override, but I prefer to use Override so they will show also in NearInfinity.
    I thought that. But for example on this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-customize-your-game/p1, @Cuv advises to put it in the override folder and NOT to the Portraits folder. Like it wouldn't work there...