Skip to content

Art Resources from Lionheart

MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
There was a thread over at Spellhold that talked about extracting the art resources from a game called Lionheart. It was concluded that it was extremely difficult to so and the idea of taking screenshots and stitching them together would be the best way about doing this.

I'm planning on recreating the art resources but I just need to know if this has already been done. Particularly how far the makers of the Classic Adventures mod got in doing this.

I just spent the last hour stitching together the "Barcelona Port District" map. I still have to recreate the north sections and remove the smokestacks but it looks like I got the bulk of it done. The area would be a perfect location for a Calimport map for the basis of a ToB expansion mod.

port.jpg 145.2K

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    You would have to contact leahnkain on SHS to find that out, he would probably be your best bet.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Ooh nice, Sam! They're awesome. :)
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    edited April 2013
    Oh, BTW, be aware that there are still people in the areas (as they are made from screen shots). I worked very hard to keep as many as possible out of the areas, but a couple of them refused to cooperate. Hopefully you can touch up the pictures to get rid of them. (Also, be aware of the disembodied feet at the base of several stools :whistling: .)
    @Mordeus I've done all the maps from Robin Hood as well, and can hunt them up if you're interested. As before, however, they will need editing...
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    @Sam_ Things seem to be going pretty smoothly with the Robin Hood maps, so I can just stitch them together from scratch. It doesn't take as long as Lionheart since there's no fog or war and print screen creates tga files straight to the game's directory.
    tree.jpg 142.1K
    @Mordeus There are day, night, and fog versions of most of the areas in Robin Hood. Don't know if you'll be interested in getting those or not.
    @Sam_ I'm aiming to get the whole lot. So maybe I should just focus on creating material from Lionheart for now.
  • BubbleboyBubbleboy Member Posts: 68
    Whoa....
    awesome idea, the shots look amazing.
    edited April 2013
    Just completed another map. This one has absolutely no fog of war, although there's an unkillable npc that I will have to come back to. But still, this is the one map from Lionheart I was really aiming to reconstruct.

Looks like it would make a great ToB map. Possibly a candidate for a Kara-Tur township. I could thrown in the concept of the Twisted Rune's portals to explain traveling to such a faraway land.
    town.jpg 119.7K
    I've just figured out a way of eliminating the Fog of War from a map, so I can now create perfect reproductions of every single map in the game. It also means reconstructing maps are a third faster than before. For example here is the port map from earlier, but this time everything is visible.

So if I was to make maps of every area in Lionheart, I'd have about three times the number of maps used in ToB. If anyone wants to collaborate on a ToB expansion mod, I could provide the visual resources.

I estimate there's around 30 major maps with under 20 interiors to be reconstructed.
    edited May 2013
    Just did another map. This time in under 30 minutes, compared to the previous 3 hours. I've got a method now so things are going quick.

I left the people in this time, because I think I can script them out along with the fountains, fire, smoke, etc... That would make things alot quicker than running around massacring them.

[edit] Interestingly in deleting the area effects, I've isolated the temple district map to a single building. So therefore I can make copies of the map objects themselves and build maps up from scratch. There's alot I can do with this.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Care to share this improved, no FoW method?
    agris said:

Care to share this improved, no FoW method?

You go into the level's .zax file and add in the "fog pusher for start game" portion of the script ripped from another file like "Port District.zax". That will eliminate the fog of war, you then can edit the rules.txt file to switch the name of the "First Map Name" to the edited map file. So when you start the game you appear in your desired map with the fog of war gone.

You can further edit out the characters, fire, etc... from the map through erasing portions of the .zax file and then it's just a matter of taking screenshots and stitching them back together.
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    Extremely impressive stuff
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Mordeus That's a clever system you've developed. I assume you're using a GIMP/PS script to isolate the individual map elements? How well does that script work when the element has a less uniform (compared to water) background, such as populated city streets and other structures?
    @agris Yeah I'm using photoshop to stitch together the screenshots.

Everything in Lionheart is pre-rendered instead of in BG, so the .zax file assigns the environment models co-ordinates, eventually building up a game map from bare building blocks. No art resource is fixed in Lionheart. So you can move the models around the map or delete them via some code.

What I've done to isolate the elements is create my own game map for testing. One that is completely empty aside from a surface made from an acid green tilemap (to emulate a green screen effect). I then assign one of the environment models to the center of the map, by using the background eraser tool I then erase the green screen tilemap from the screenshot taking all of that colour out. Most of the elements have a faded transparency effect (like the submerged foundations in the hut example) so the background eraser method is vital to retaining that.

As for doing complete screenshot stitched maps of existing areas, the "fog pusher" bit of code will reveal the entire map as if you had applied the ExploreArea() Cheat Console command in BG. Then it is just a matter of building up the perimeter of the map and filling in the center with screenshots. There isn't many background effects, water is largely stationary except for ripple and wave animations that are timed to come and go. The only tricky bits are the fire and smoke effects but you can remove them out of the .zax file that assigns them onto the map.

The format that stores the environment models is insanely hard to crack without the developer's tools. But at least none of the models are fixed and can be manipulated, so you can salvage them with accuracy. Compared to the old cut and paste method used in salvaging BG resources.
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    What's about the shadows? Are they in separate files?

Great job! Isolated trees would be awesome!
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    These maps are so beautiful. Can't wait to see them used.
    @Jarl It's a mixed bag, most models have their shadows attached while others are missing them. The animated objects (flags) have separate shadow files but the scenery objects (rocks, trees) have shadows attached.
    So far I've put together 200 resources, averaging just under 100 an hour. So if I can keep up that pace it would take 50-60 hours at the very least. However I really don't have that much spare time, so I think I have to be a bit strategic. Instead I'll pick a location and target the resources that will help in creating it, then once that area is complete I'll look at doing another.

I'm no fan of the Tethyr region but logically it makes the most sense to focus on. Particularly because ToB is underdeveloped and that the level cap gives way more room to move in. From looking through 2ed supplements the best candidate appears to be the location of Darromar. It has a population of 60,000 up to a peacetime size of 100,000 which for the purposes of the Bhaalspawn Saga makes it half the size of Athkatla (130,000-140,000) and just nearly double of Saradush (39,000). The other BG2 location of the Trademeet only comes in with a population of 6,000 within its' walls. So Darromar is completely doable, especially when the maps above are big enough if I was to use them as is.

Also there's a simple logic to the layout of Darromar. Could be constructed via four area maps to represent the city's quarters, each quarter has a central watchtower. The Royal Quarter is pretty much a royal palace, gardens a garrison similar to the Flaming Fist and the Dukes of Baldur's Gate. The Black Quarter is the working class area of the dockyards and the blacksmiths, like Athkatla's docks. The Temple Quarter is pretty much identical in tone to Athkatla's one. While the Caravan Quarter is like the Trademeet. So Darromar is all the past cities/towns rolled into one.

The only problem is the Ithal Bridge, it's supposed to fit 4 wagons at once but there's no bridge of that scale in Lionheart, so that will be the only resource I'm going to have to make from the ground up.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited May 2013
    So you are going to make 4 areas and a bridge district area for 5 areas or just have the bridge be a chokepoint and fill space across the maps?

I'd suggest just grabbing Athkatlas bridge district and reimagining/reworking it to be an area unto itself, a 5th area..
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    Will you create a big package of alle the ressources? Modders all over the world would praise you :)
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Wow, gorgeous.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    So, while making one of the largest mods for BG:EE you figured, what the hell, let's start another giant undertaking?

Do you not require sleep?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    He probably gets bored and needs to keep himself entertained.

If he was a college student I'd say he had deadlines looming and was trying to distract himself.
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    If you are looking for more maps check out game called Gorasul.