Skip to content

So. . . . Durlag's Tower

I have Dorn Il Khan, Imoen, Jaheira, Beatrice (Charname), Edwin, and Neera.

Dorn Il Khan is my low HP, EXTREMELY HIGH DAMAGE tank, Jaheira is on AC -4, mediocre damager, Imoen is of course the party thief/trap disarmer/detector, but almost as importantly, the party archer. Edwin is a powerful mage, and Neera is there for her gembag, chaos shield, and back up spells.

Imoen is level 8
Beatric is level 7
Edwin is level 7
Neera is level 7
Jaheira is level 7 or 6 Fighter and a level 7 Druid
Dorn Il Kahn is level 7, I think

I have just gotten to the level 3 part of Durlag Tower's Dungeon, past the fire ball room, the Greater Wyverns, the plant maze, etcetera. My question is, what do I have to do to defeat the four enemies in the four hallways, is there some kind of trick that will kill my characters if I do it in the wrong order? I don't understand the riddles.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    No, there's no special order you need to fight them in. However, make sure you're well-equipped/rested/healed before going into the last fight (whichever one you decide to do last). The riddles are hints about how to beat the rooms, if I remember correctly. Some of the enemies are quite difficult and need special methods.
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    Ah, thanks guys. :)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Durlag's Tower is one of the hardest parts of the game. So don't be afraid to use those potions and wands and limited use items you've been hording. You can also back track so you can leave and stash stuff. I hauled out so much loot dumping it into upper level containers and moving it back to town from there. Hehehe
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Samus said:

The riddles are just meant to give you advice. I would definitely recommend some form of fire resistance for one of the fights. I would rather not provide too much detail for what comes as it would spoil the fun!

And if you're really hurt and you have a lot of things that grant fire resistance, Standing In The Fire will not net you a 50 DKP minus, but instead free healing! But only if you use them and the fire resistance exceeds 100%!
    I've lost ten battles against The Demon Knight In Durlag's Tower. . . . Ugh, any suggestions?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If you tell us what strategy you currently try, perhaps?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Act all brave and mighty when you first speak then immediately rush to break the mirror of opposition, it will make things a lot easier.
    Hrm~ Put all your fire resist gear on one guy (Prolly the two rings and the helmet) and he'll be almost totally immune to those fireballs. Everyone else can use magic ammo on him from far away.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 50
    Just remember that the Demon Knight will cast Power Word: Stun on anyone who approaches him, which will likely result in that party member being hacked to bits. The Greenstone Amulet, which you can buy in the Ulgoth's Beard Inn, will protect against stun, I believe.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The demon knight follow a pattern, his first act will be an dispel magic, followed by a sun fire and a power word stun if i'm not wrong, after those 3 spells he will start melee attacks. After some attacks he will cast another dispel magic and later more he will cast a power word kill (that now make 60 dmg point in fact)

Some specific actions of your party, specific spells/abilities/items can trigger another pattern of actions from the demon knight, but knowing his first moves (he always make the dispel magic, sun strike, power word stun no matter what), you have an advantage, as moving your characters in time to avoid the dispel magic of hitting too many, evading the sun strike and casting a remove paralazys before the demon knight start casting power word stun.

Ps: power word stun is always focused on the nearest character.
    My Cavalier... my Cavalier kicked his butt. Soooo hard. This was the Tutu game I played waiting for BG:EE to come out. The battle was over with lickety speed. I had him stacked with Fire Resist gear and after a few turns my Cavalier had barely a scratch and it was done.

@kamuizin I haven't studied this guy. Can you slap him down with something to keep him from casting? Silence? Miscast? Insect Swarm?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @CaptRory, If the spell takes on him maybe, i don't know if he's immune to specific schools (i don't remember which but when i fought him, some spells were labeled as inefective if i'm not wrong), however he has a somehow decent magic resistance, so it's about luck also.
    Okay, so I tell him to use the mirror on me, then have a hasted Imoen run the hell towards the mirror and smash it. Then rush back, try to take care of the goons and then finish him off when he's at near death from fighting his double.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I just tanked him with Dorn and had my Fighter>Thief backstab him twice. He died knowing his inferiority.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Kay, I separated the party, conjured monsters on him, which wasted his spells, and constantly got in his way whenever one of my party members got stunned. I cast the spell that lowers magic resistance, which didn't work, but then I had Imoen keep firing arrows at him from a distance. Meanwhile, Dorn Il Khan and Jaheira had fire and frost giant potions, and haste potions, and I sicked them on Demon Knight. Demon Knight kept hitting either Jaheira or Dorn hard though, so I had to have them run away, and conjure more monsters to protect them from the bad ol' demon knight, which they drank copious amounts of healing potions. So I sent them running like idiots back to face him in melee, and one of them ran out of hp again, almost dying (Well, almost running out of hp). While Edwin was running around like an idiot from a horror spell or something, The Demon Knight was chasing after Jaheira, who was almost dead, and finally, Dorn saw his opportunity and exploded the Demon Knight into fine, bloody gore.

I have completed Durlag's Tower.
    CONGRATS! *Cheers!*
    Thanks. For a second, I thought I was going to have to dig Dorn's grave and set his tombstone. "I told you I was Il."