Skip to content

Quick question about spellcasting styles

PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
edited May 2013 in General Modding
Is it completely impossible to have an arcane spellcaster that both has Sorceror-style casting and the mage's Write Magic ability? I'd love to see the Athasian Preserver implemented somehow (mage's spell selection and sorceror's spontaneous casting on a severely limited budget - combined maybe with never being allowed to wear items that increase spells per day and definitely an increased hit die - I did specify "Athasian")

((It's also possible that I'm completely ignorant of how it should work, having only ever played the DOS Darksun games - despite me being completely in love with the campaign setting))

Also, is Sorcerer's spontaneous casting limited to Sorcerer and its kits or can it be extended to other base classes?

Comments

• IrbisIrbis Member Posts: 49
    well... to make it EXACTLY as you described it would requaire some heavy modding.
    It can be emulated though... but poorly.
    Basicly one would need to create a 9 custom spells (for 1-9 spell levels) with "Select Spell" effect + 9 custom 2DA files(one for each level of spells, with every spell of corresponding level enlisted).

But the question... wouldnt that be overpowered? GREALTY?
    The thing that tries to balance the Sorceror is the limited spell book. Take that away and... well. From already OP Sorceror you'll get even more OP class.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Much fewer casts-per-cycle than you could get with Edwin or a lucky Wild Mage, at any rate.

I did a bit of research, and to my chagrin the P&P Preserver is mage and not a mage/sorc mix like I thought, so I'll need to come up with a new name for it.

The way Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager had implemented spellcasting was that all casters were spontaneous casters like the sorcerer, hence my confusion (and desire to see spontaneous spellcasting extended to other class types). At level 9, you had 5 1st level spells, 4 2nd level spells, 3 3rd level spells, and so on to 5th level. 1 spell slot per 2 character levels. How can we scale this back without crippling the class?