Skip to content

Backstab multiplyers?

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
How the heck do these things work anyway? I see a 2x in my character sheet which I can only assume means that I do double my normal damage on a backstab. I look at my damage gauge and I see that my half-orc shadowdancer does 11-18 damage on a normal hit, which is true. Then I do a backstab and I hit for 15 damage. Then I say to myself: "WHAT?!" First of all that is an ODD number which should be impossible for double anything. Second that is FAR below what I would expect from double damage. That is not even 1.5x damage! What is actually getting multiplied here? How does the backstab multiplier REALLY work?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Never mind. The answer is that strength bonus is not multiplied and is simply added on after the multiplying is done.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The biggest benefit of all that strength is the bonus to hit which rogues can always use more of.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    I assume that the half orc shadowdancer is using the same weapon for the normal hit and the backstab. But a weapon can deliver a range of damage, such as 1d8 + magic bonus + strength bonus for a long sword. The 1d8 might have come out high for the normal hit and low for the backstab. (I don't think backstab gives you maximum weapon damage). So in the long run the backstab will give you about twice as much damage minus the strength bonus, while for some individual backstabs you may not notice much difference.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    cleric/thief ->duhm+something righteus magic