Skip to content

Cure/inflict spells and undead creatures

NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
edited November 2012 in Original BG1 Bugs
I dont' know if it's a real bug, or if maybe it's already have been fixed.

Current behavior: Undead creatures are healed by cure spells (I dont' know if they take damage from inflict spells too)

Expected behavior: Undead creatures are not influenced by cure/inflict spells, or as in 3rd they are healed by inflict spells and take damage from cure spells.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    in 3ed undead are healed by negative energy and damaged by positive. Im not entirely sure curative spells in Bg have the same properties. But it sure is a nice idea.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Not sure if this is a bug but can confirm that it happens.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    There was one demon-like creature in Baldur's Gate 2, which could only be killed with a healing spell (Athkatla underground temple, Empathic Manifestation). That's the only occation I remember such spell behavior in Baldur's Gate games though.

But yeah, I agree that having healing spells cause damage to undead would spice up tactics in some situations.
  • butcheredbutchered Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2012
    @Dogmatix That demon-like creature is Lathander with a different hat on!

It would be nice to see some sort of revision to the undead thing.
    Post edited by butchered on
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    As per spell description, undead should be immune to heal wounds spells.

@Balquo
    I cannot reproduce this with the latest build. Is this bug still present?
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Dogmatix said:

There was one demon-like creature in Baldur's Gate 2, which could only be killed with a healing spell (Athkatla underground temple, Empathic Manifestation). That's the only occation I remember such spell behavior in Baldur's Gate games though.

But yeah, I agree that having healing spells cause damage to undead would spice up tactics in some situations.

Actually its death is just triggered by a heal of any sort, it's not like it suffers any damage.
    More or less like what happens to Raevilin Strathi, the insane drow trapped in the Underdark, if you cast Heal on him to turn him back to normal ;)

@butchered no, it's not Lathander (it was Amaunator, anyway :p).
    It's the empathic manifestation of a fallen god that feeds on the anger of the ex-belivers.

@Aedan yes it's still present, you can actually heal undead with normal heals.
    The problem is that in BG there are no positive and negative sources of damage (like in NWN),
    so it would be extremely hard to implement this feature for every undead creature.
  • solar_onesolar_one Member Posts: 12
    You can half implement - just add immunity to the healing and wounding spells to the rings the undead wear that already make them immune to poison and such. I do this for my self-mods. But; to actually reverse the effect on the undead is - yes - impossible with the game engine unless you can figure a fancy way to use EFF files. First make them immune to Current HP Modifier within the cure spell and then damage them with another EFF…ahhh!