Skip to content

Whats your favorite BG equipment?

MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
BG and BG2 had a lot of really fascinating pieces of equipment from the ring of Gaxx, to the Big Metal Unit, to the cloak of balduran in the first baldur's gate, to even minor things like the history books? After a quick search on the forrum to try and make sure this isn't a repeat thread, I would like to pose a question to all of you. What is your favorite BG or BG2 piece of equipment? I know most people will probably say the boots of speed, or the bag of holding, but why not think outside of the box a little too? Items that you just find really awesome without them being pretty much mainstream in levels of awesome.

Personally if I were to go a bit mainstream, I'd probably say my favorite piece of equipment was the Celestial Fury Katana. God bless that Katana, and the sheer quantity of foes I've stunned with it. Or maybe even Xan's moonblade, because despite him being the only one who could use it, that thing was so... damn... cool *_*. If I were thinking a bit outside the box though, I'd say my favorite piece of equipment was... weirdly I might say that mirror image short sword you get for finding the mimic's blood. Sure it's only +1, but being able to have a fighter or paladin with mirror image on could be a lot of fun, and I even used that until the end of TOB.

I know I have a hard time coming up with one single equipment I love best, but let's hear it from the masses! This the, What's your favorite BG equipment thread!
Post edited by kangaxx on

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Belm and Kundane. I love me some speed! And man, was that speed worth it!

But that's Baldur's Gate 2. In Baldur's Gate 1 the one, most ridiculous item that holds a special place in my heart is the autograph from Larry Darryl and Darryl. Man, I always had it, from start to end, in my inventory. Simply because it's silly :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Flail +1, I have strong affection towards flails.. !

and Helm of Infravision, it just look good on the BG1 animations :-p
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Now that's what I'm talking about :D

@Cheesebelly The autograph was also my Dad's favorite piece of equipment, so I can totally see that xD

And @Mch202, you totally go with your +1 flail! That's what I call thinking outside the obsessive power scales here. I personally liked to give Minsc the infravision helm, the cloak of displacement, plate mail armor, and the flame tongue sword, and pretend he was a doom guard. ^_^
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    The sword you got from killing grey wolf. i loved that sword lol Long sword +2 if i remember correctly :) Looked awesome
    edited August 2012

Now that's what I'm talking about :D

@Cheesebelly The autograph was also my Dad's favorite piece of equipment, so I can totally see that xD

And @Mch202, you totally go with your +1 flail! That's what I call thinking outside the obsessive power scales here. I personally liked to give Minsc the infravision helm, the cloak of displacement, plate mail armor, and the flame tongue sword, and pretend he was a doom guard. ^_^

What can I say... In each session of BG1 i always check every corpse and chest until I find my glorious Flail +1 (I never remember where you get it...) ohh the joy!! :-)

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @mch202 :
    Cave in Xvart village and farmers north of Friendly Arm Inn. ;)
    edited August 2012

@mch202 :

Cave in Xvart village and farmers north of Friendly Arm Inn. ;)
    im not gonna read it!! it will ruin my traditional treasure hunt... :)

• MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Haha! Nice! xD I was the same way about the wand of monster summoning. I could never remember where it was, but it was always my end all solution to BG1. So I'd always tear the world apart trying to find it, looking in every nook and cranny until I found the glorious item. Then again, it was usually a little OP, but for some reason, I could pretty much cast summon monster level II before I could find it.
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    Flail of Ages, I like the fact that it is effective from (almost) beginning of SoA when you find it, to the end of ToB. It sort of grows with you. And grows on you.
  • OphlyumOphlyum Member Posts: 255
    Absolutely Katana!! The perfect death's blade
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Personally, I like the claw of kazaroth, because it feels like a piece of equipment where using it makes you evil (roleplaying for evil characters).
    Robes of the good/neutral/evil archmagi are cool - they finally make your wizard look like a proper wizard.

In 2:
    Human flesh armour (for the same reason as claw above), plus giving it to viconia makes her really powerful. What makes these better than other "evil" items is that you actually feel they are poerful, so you are sacrificing morality to gain power.
    I also have a soft spot for Ras, the dancing sword. What a great idea. It's a shame it's not really of a suitable power level

Also, this is in the wrong section lol
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2012
    Necklace of missiles....always came in handy in BG when the fight got desperate.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    in bg1 I always had a thing for Varscona. just the whole deal with how you acquire it and then reading up about its backstory gave the weapon a really awesome flavour for me
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 23
    BG2 - Definitely Lilarcor. I absolutely loved the banter. I even wrote a dialogue in my creative writing class with a talking sword, somewhat based off Lilarcor. I always gave it to Minsc - their personalities seemed to compliment each other well :)

BG1 - As overpowered as it is, I always grabbed the Ring of Wizardry outside the Friendly Arm. It turned my weak little mage into a magic missile slinging powerhouse :)
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited August 2012
    Lilarcor, obviously!
    Runners up include the Sword of Flame and Silver Sword for being extraplanar and weird.

Misc. category goes to the Golden Pantaloons, the description is brilliant.
  • dandydandy Member Posts: 35
    The helm of infravision for looks, definitely
    All of the creature summoning figurines, they make me feel like Drizzt, but with a crappier companion
    And my familiar, if it counts, just because I like to have a friend
  • kangaxxkangaxx Member Posts: 681
    edited August 2012
    This discussion has been moved from
    Volunteering/General
    to
    Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition/General.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    With mods included, the necklace Imoen makes for you with BG1NPC. It works just like an amulet of protection, but the description is so sweet I can't make my character take it off. Always move it with me into BG2 as well.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    In BG1: The combination of the plate+3, the shield+4 vs missiles and a Battle Axe +2. We look great in our shiny golden equipment.

In BG2: Being a Swashbuckler with 2 rings of Gaxx.

But my favorite equipment is in IWD2, the Drakkas's Fury chainmail. :) (or the Kaylessa's chaimail in IWD1)
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    BG1: Poison Dagger

BG2: cloak of mirroring/boots of speed
  • OpaleOpale Member Posts: 3
    Drizzt's defender scimitar +5 ? *cough*

More seriously, katanas from BG2 especially the Celestial Fury
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Necklace of missiles as the Hamster said, though I always lust for archmage robes until I have them, more than anything else.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    Lilarcor : far and away the best weapon in the entire BG series
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Dagger of venom!!!!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    BG1: Cursed Sword of Berserking +3

BG2: Harbinger +3

Yep. I like to live dangerously.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    This may seem weird, but my fav items are all cursed.
    The berserking sword +3, (property of Barge) - I love this item and the story behind it so much, than in my head canon, finding and picking up this sword was how my berserker warrior became a berserker. :D
    the Ring of Folly (in a ship wreck - was the captain wearing it, perhaps? And on Chelak's body - the poor guy) what a better way to hammer into your dumb student's head that magic is awesome, but also bloody dangerous? ;)
    And
    Girdle of Feminity and Masculinity - the shear potential of this thing... the prank you could pull... the stories you could tell... the tragedies you could cause, and the social dramas you could resolve! :D

Oh, and the items that are actually usefull in game... Ankheg armor. One of the best armors in game, and so light! Not to mention, the first few times I played, I didn't know about the freebee in the fields, so I had to go ankheg hunting, then dole out the cash, then wait ten days... resisting the urge to pester the smith everyday... ah, getting it was all the sweeter for all the effort required! :)
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    BG 1: Knaves Robe was a huge deal for me in my first playthrough, first really cool equipment you got from that mage in the cirkus tent.. And the "Amulet of Mentaspell influence" or whatever it was called..

BG 2: Spell scrolls.. And a lot of them!

• BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    Best "item" in all of Baldur's Gate? Boo, of course! :D
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    BG1: I've got a soft spot for the Dagger +1 your main character can receive as a bonus reward in Candlekeep, as it's a gift from the guard captain and it feels like he's trying to do what little he can to help you out.

BG2: The Blade of Roses just seemed like the ultimate weapon for a Swashbuckler rogue in terms of style, so that's a fav, even if it's not much of an endgame weapon.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    Now you see me, now you don't!