Skip to content

BGII:EE Three Short Requests

As a hardened Baldur's Gate player (so as not to say a fanatic of the sequel) I've been thinking for a while about the things which tend to annoy me the most playing BGII and I came up with the three I believe You are in power to change. And these are my three considerate requests:

1. Improve Irenicus' Dungeon
It is rather common knowledge that a large number of players don't like the idea of Irenicus' Dungeon (there even have been a few popular mods intended to either expand or to skip the entire area completely). The general problem seems that the area is excessively repetitive AND linear. Would there be a possibility of adding a little bit depth to it?

For example by introducing additional dialoque options with grey dwarvers or that cambion standing in the middle of a pretty empty room (maybe give us some hint why he is actually trapped there), or the vampire lady and the shadow thieves, etc. Maybe you could give us some further interaction on the Sarevok's sword or at least present some hints on how exactly Dynaheir was killed, or why Irenicus has been actually dissecting Khalid – well, I guess the protagonist would like to know something more about the end of his late companions. Maybe you could even give us possibility of sabotaging these irritating golems while they lay out of order or add some minor characters trying to escape the dungeon as well – with just a bit of polishing you can make it „a real life escape experience” instead of the astoundingly linear mini-dungeon just at the start of the game.

2. Give us choices that count
The thing which makes BGII such a great RPG game are definitelly unique quests and interactions, thus it concerns me a lot (especially nowadays) that so small a number of interaction connects to the very profession or attribute score of the player character – especially in a view that in BGII there have actually been quite a few such interactions already.

Could you POSSIBLY add a bit more race/class/attribute-dependent dialogue choices to make the player actually feel the qualities of the character they chose? I mean that occasionally an extremelly unwitty character can say something awfully stupid, and maybe some NPC can distinguish you more than once as a fighter or a spellcaster? I've never really understood why is that in BGII there is so little of such interactions while they have been actually implemented in game after all.

3. Let us skip the dreams
This one would be simple. If you're making it through the game for the umpteenth time (and that's also my own case actually) you are able to not only quote all the passages from that dreams but also to declaim them just on par with the very actors that were hired to do so (well, that can be a good thing after all but then you should probably stop playing computer games and take to acting).

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Unfortunately, the Beamdog / Overhaul team seem to be bound by contracts to NOT changing the existing content, only adding "enhancements" and fixing bugs. Since it would be hard to argue that Irenicus' dungeon is a bug, that's probably not getting fixed.

Regarding (2), it seems like it might be possible to make any new enhanced content depend more heavily on class / race / kit / past actions. Not modifying existing content, of course, but strictly the new stuff.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    It seems like they could add Irenicus dungeon stuff, right, so long as they keep all the current stuff intact?
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    depends on what qualifies as changing existing content. By effect adding stuff to the dungeon is in turn 'altering' it and that might be against their contract. I'm not sure what qualifies, cause with an argument like that, than you couldn't add anything anywhere if that was the case.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Well, they added map areas and added characters to existing areas and added a small amount of banter with existing characters in BGEE. This kind of thing seems categorically-similar.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Nifft said:

Unfortunately, the Beamdog / Overhaul team seem to be bound by contracts to NOT changing the existing content, only adding "enhancements" and fixing bugs. Since it would be hard to argue that Irenicus' dungeon is a bug, that's probably not getting fixed.

I was thinking that the start of the game might seem less of a chore for players who have been through BG2 many times, if they could circumvent Irenicus' dungeon and start outside with all the items and experience they would have garnered. But on second thought, I'm sure it would be best to leave all important aspects of the classic game BG2 unchanged. A mod could be created for veterans to eliminate the dungeon.

• IlphalarIlphalar Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    franco said:

Nifft said:

I was thinking that the start of the game might seem less of a chore for players who have been through BG2 many times, if they could circumvent Irenicus' dungeon and start outside with all the items and experience they would have garnered. But on second thought, I'm sure it would be best to leave all important aspects of the classic game BG2 unchanged. A mod could be created for veterans to eliminate the dungeon.

Well, I've always though it would be great if the Irenicus' dungeon was a tutorial area you could actually skip if you want... but, well, that't not the case anyway. There is a mod, which enables you to eliminate it - if I remember correctly, it's called "Dungeon Be Gone". What I'd like instead of is to expand the area a bit (what's been already done with a few areas in BGEE - as @Iecerint said).
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    I never really had a problem with Irenicus's dungeon. I always felt it set the scene nicely and it never really took too long before you were out in the sunshine.
  • KrypplingzKrypplingz Member Posts: 11
    !Small spoilers!

Maybe add some teleporters into Irenicus dungeon?
    They would be inactive so you would have to find them and activate them (Maybe use the portal key we use one the big teleporters) . One at the cambions place, one near the cells, one in the jar room and one into Irenicus fancy bedroom. It would cut some of the backtracking at least.
    Then add some on the second level, one in the forge and one near the exit.

Or change the location of the djinn flask so I don't have to: Go and get the statue (near the dryads) to be able to enter the area with the djinn and make him tell me to look for the flask and then go get the acorns, go back the dryads, give them the acorn and get the flask, then go back to the djinn, give him the flask and get the sword and finally go back to the portal. Because its a lot of busy work and Minsc keeps running into wrong hallways.

Or let me kick Jaheira and Minsc out of the party while I go grab the flask and pick them up when I go back. Maybe add a warning: Ok I'll stay but if you are not back in one day I'm getting out of here!
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257

I never really had a problem with Irenicus's dungeon. I always felt it set the scene nicely and it never really took too long before you were out in the sunshine.

I totally agree, it is not my favorite place in BG2 but then again I do not find it boring or out of place.

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    franco said:

Nifft said:

Absolutely! I think there are already mods which do this for vanilla BG2, so porting one of those over to BG2:EE ought to be doable.

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    I never understood the antipathy for the Irenicus dungeon, and I've played through the game several times. It's not all that linear--at least, no more linear than many of the stronghold quests. I think it's nice that it forces you to battle with meager equipment while slowly dropping magic gear here and there along the way.

A good challenge is to try and playthrough it with no resting, makes for a more intriguing run through the dungeon. And it doesn't take much time either. That being said, for those who must live without it, there's the dungeon be gone. No need to mess with it much, though I wouldn't mind a few extra monsters or an extra magic item or two strewn about randomly.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    1 - I suggest the SCS modification of replace the goblins with Duergars. But if done, please devs. respect the duergar race and give them their innate abilities and racial benefits.

2 - Would love that to happen, but surely someone will come here speaking about assignment restrictions... the worst is that whomever come speaking about it is right... o well...

3 - Skip the dreams, i vote for that :)!