Skip to content

wizard slayer/thief's use everything?

Could you go wizard slayer then dual class to thief at some point and use the thief's use everything ability that they get in tob to use magic items as well? Or would the wizard slayer's no magical item use override it still?

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Use Any Item trumps the restrictions.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    That's a neat question. I don't have the official answer, but I believe that the wizard slayer's no magic item rule will dominate. To be consistent, note that a Mage/Fighter build will continue to prohibit wearing armor while casting spells.

From a role playing point of view, I think a Wizard Slayer who chooses to gain the ability to permit him to use magic items is like a character choosing to twist himself into a pretzel.
  • DozycakesDozycakes Member Posts: 1
    CaptRory is right, Use Any Item trumps wizard slayer restrictions (or atleast it does in my copy of bg2).
    Dozycakes said:

CaptRory is right, Use Any Item trumps wizard slayer restrictions (or atleast it does in my copy of bg2).

Gadzooks I'm wrong again. But it still doesn't make sense to me he would choose to use them.

@franco When did making sense start to matter around here? ^_~
    CaptRory said:

@franco When did making sense start to matter around here? ^_~

I've got to agree with you there.

WS "I hate that abomination they call magic, but I think I'll use this item. Zap !"

Wizard Slayer really looks like a relatively weak kit. How about 5% magic resistance per level instead of 1%, and hits causing cumulative 15% spell failure, so he can start to make a difference?
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    well my thought is to create a wizard slayer/thief and get the wizard slayer to optimal level to dual over to thief. since i won't be needing to go thief until soa i could wizard slayer through bg1 which would be fairly easy, then switch to thief for soa since theres a lack of good thief npc's in my opinion. also this way i could get to use the stronger items in tob with a somewhat magic resistant, 5-slot proficiency thief. which would be much more useful in combat then jan, nalia, or yoshimo for soa.

this is all playing vanilla though. i seem to always find glitches in npc mods so i don't usually play with them.
    You can also dual class to mage. Which is six kinds of crazy. Even moreso than the Use Any Item thing XD
    i hadnt even thought of that yet o.o
    does the spell failure work on all damage dealt or just physical attacks? because if it does then hit a enemy mage with a magic missle while their casting to interrupt it, and each magic missle would do damage separately to cumulatively add up to an almost guaruntee of the next spell casted to be a failure. though you would lose the plate wearing, 2h-weapon or dual-wielding, and magic resistance thats added from carsomyr :/
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I think the spell failure only works for melee attacks. It certainly will not work for spell damage.
    ah, then i suppose there would be no point to go wizard slayer/mage because of mages magic resistance spell that will overwrite the wizard slayers magic resistance. only thing you'd be getting is more hp and probably 5 slots in darts xD
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I played a wizard slayer/thief once, and it worked pretty well. With the restriction gone, it turns out to be a pretty decent kit after all.