Skip to content

Musical Instruments

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited May 2013
    @Samus. Interesting idea. I can see a side quest to recover a stolen antique violin for a rich patron or for a music director about to give a critical concert for an elite royal from another country. I'm sure with some of the guys on this forum we will ultimately get to see a rare screen shot of the party as a sextet playing "When the Saints Come Marching In" as they head into the game's finale.
    Post edited by franco on
    Another reason for an NPC to get thrown out of the party. Have audio files of them practicing their level 1 trumpet.
    @Samus. Seriously though, I think that adding some medieval or fantasy instruments would add some atmosphere to the game. You could even have some of them be quite rare to collectors so the adventurers would be able to benefit by selling them, or returning them to owners who had lost them.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    How about the idea that different musical instruments add additional effects to the bard song?

-drum: morale boost
    -flute: +1 roll to Saves
    -violin: intoxicated (enemy and allies)
    -harp: regen +1 hp/round
    bbear said:

How about the idea that different musical instruments add additional effects to the bard song?

Very interesting. But perhaps it would be specified only one instrument per battle might be used. Also perhaps significant limit to number of instruments that can be carried (or the bard will look like a travelling one man band). But something along these lines would give some added juice to the Bard kits. Also, the idea of rare magic instruments could be introduced.

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Instrument proficiencies! Sort of joking, but not if there are abilities tied to instruments.
    franco said:

bbear said:

Very interesting. But perhaps it would be specified only one instrument per battle might be used. Also perhaps significant limit to number of instruments that can be carried (or the bard will look like a travelling one man band). But something along these lines would give some added juice to the Bard kits. Also, the idea of rare magic instruments could be introduced.

The traveling band is actually an awesome idea. Have a party of 6 bards playing musical instruments. Also, I would like the game to introduce new musical scores.
    @bbear. As I stated somewhere near the top of this thread....

I'm sure with some of the guys on this forum we will ultimately get to see a rare screen shot of the party as a sextet playing "When the Saints Come Marching In" as they head into the game's finale.

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited May 2013
    bbear said:

Best idea ever !

But your bonus list is "little" overpower.
    How exactly make you violin intoxicated ? :D
    Something like this will be much reasonable:

-lute: +2 THACO
    -drum: +1 AC
    -violin: +1 damage
    -harp: +1 morale boost

You can expect big effect from common wooden instrument available in most shops.
    But some ( VERY rare ) magic instruments can have much better effects...
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I agree with Samus, they don't need any practical function, they would just need to add spice and flavor to the game.
    IF they should have some effect I want it to be random and possibly affect enemies too (giving them boosts as well).
    And it is kind of weird that a bard doesn't need to equip an instrument in order to play his/her songs..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    MMmmmmmm, it should use a weaponslot....

Maybe the bards should have something like thievery progression with xx% to add each level...20% in drums, 55% in Lute and if you fail, you get BAD consequences.........
    Lindeblom said:

I agree with Samus, they don't need any practical function, they would just need to add spice and flavor to the game.
    IF they should have some effect I want it to be random and possibly affect enemies too (giving them boosts as well).

If there is no practical function, then there is no reason to carry it besides roleplaying reason. It's like dumping a random key item after it has serves its purpose.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Samus said:

There is scope to insert numerous musical instruments

...into garrick
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    ajwz said:

Samus said:

There is scope to insert numerous musical instruments

...into garrick
    i'm guessing you were probably trying to be anti-garrick. like let's skewer him on a cello

but it sounds disturbingly sexual
  • UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
    My party has just about had it with the Trombone of Elemental Summoning.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    That's nothing. I got stuck with the Triangle of Pit Fiend Conjuring once.

Let me tell you, that ended in tears.
  • UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
    @Luigirules "Look, Daddy! Teacher says, 'every time a triangle rings, a pit fiend gets his wings.'"

Will playing instruments require proficiency in axes?

I'm holding my breath for the Contrabassoon of Stinking Cloud.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    What are you talking about no practical purpose
    I'm pretty sure a lyre can withstand a good swing or two