Skip to content

Question about High Constitution

I wanted to give a new char a constitution of 18, then start the game, equip that new shield that is good for thieves and gives 1 to Con. From there I just need 1 point to constitution to reach 20 where you 'supposedly' regenerate almost instantly when you rest and somewhat when you are running around.

Does anyone know what the deal is with high constitution? I just want to know what stat lvl is when you gain regeneration. I know it works for again but is that just cause he's a dwarf?

If anyone knows I'd be glad :)

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited May 2013
    Regeneration starts at 20. Kagain has 20.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Thankyou very much!

This just gave me another idea for a build. So constitution works like 1 hp every minute in game? I read that about planescape from somewhere I just didn't remember where, lol.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I've seen a few conflicting tables regarding HP regeneration from high CON, but I think it is indeed 1 HP/min for 20 CON. The rate goes up from there, but I don't think it ever gets high enough to be really useful for anything other than healing while resting or travelling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The real benefit is where you're doing a solo run and don't want to rest for a hundred days. Or if you want to limit the amount of healing spells you need to keep on hand.

You'd get limited benefit from it in combat since damage would outstrip regeneration easily.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Constitution is useful for the HP bonus, and then still mostly for fighter type classes. Besides that high con is great for shorty saves.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,736
    You don't need more than 18 CON in order to have maximum shorty bonuses. A higher number doesn't give additional bonuses to the saving throws.
    In my recent playthrough - a no reload speed run - I've found out there're enough healing potions in the game. We have temples at the FAI, near Beregost, at Nashkel and later in the city of BG and at the Candlekeep. At every temple you can buy 20 potions of healing - so that 100 potions minimum are for sale. Moreover you can buy potions that not only heal but also cure poison. There're other places you can also buy healing potions at. So basically you can have enough potions to not only heal party members but to be able to travel without resting at all. Your clerics can concentrate on useful spells such as Command and Doom instead of healing. You can also heal at temples for money - it costs relatively cheap and takes minimum time. So you probably won't need regenerating at all.
    So I tend to think the main pro of having more CON than 18 if you're a fighter is the total amount of HP - it's hardly arguable that any additional HP can be a lifesaver.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    @bengoshi I am sure your skill level is on a very different level from me ( who played this game since it appeared) and @DKnight.

I would never do a no reload speedrun, and I would never rely on potions for healing. Right now I am doing a 3 dwarves run and it really helps that both the PC and Kagain has regeneration, usually full health every time you move between maps.

My guess is that @BKnight will have 5 npc's in his party that will need healing every now and then, so one less to think of because of regeneration is totally worth it in my opinion.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Lindeblom And that doesn't even touch on using the cursed vampiric sword to heal your team. Its a cursed sword you can make that heals people you hit with it.

If you regenerate hp...
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    It lets you put the Ring of Regeneration on somebody else in BG2.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The middle three columns in that table are inapplicable, and the asterisks noted in the first column are similarly unused.

The last column is similar to what's used in the game, although I believe the actual values are different because of how the engine works.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited May 2013
    i believe in BG it's 3 or or 5 hp reg per round in constitution 25 or something like that.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    kamuizin said:

i believe in BG it's 3 or or 5 hp reg per round in constitution 25 or something like that.

I'm pretty sure it's only 1 HP per round at 25 CON (a different table says 1 HP/10 seconds).
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    In Planescape: Torment, it's a gazillion HP per round at 25.

Then again, the protagonist IS immortal...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    After the announce of the new PS:T i always got a bit sad when i heard of this game and the improbable enhanced edition that hardly will be done :(!
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    PugPug said:

It lets you put the Ring of Regeneration on somebody else in BG2.

you also can equip kangaxx's ring ^_^

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.