Skip to content

Am i progressing the story/leveling correctly

OrieOrie Member Posts: 15
I am a lvl 1 fighter who has just reached Nashkel after dying like 10 times i cant help but feel like im doing something wrong i'm not new to RPGs or DnD so i feel fairly sure I've built a sturdy character but i cant help but feel like it should not have been this desperate a struggle i couldnt even kill the damn spiders in that mans house do i need to restart? have i missed low lvl quests around Beregost or Friendly arm inn that should have leveled me to lvl 2 at least?

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Three things you need to succeed:
    1) Equipment
    2) Levels
    3) Allies

If you're rolling into Nashkel at level one you've neglected something somewhere. People have done all sorts of challange runs, like Solo Game. No Reloads. Low Level Runs. Whatever. Those aren't for new players and most people wouldn't find those sort of games enjoyable. I'm adding this bit in just so we all have a common frame of reference here.

Playing the game for the first time, you should've been recruiting people to help you, talking to people, doing quests, exploring the countryside, etc.

Baldur's Gate doesn't hand hold like most games do now. You need to look at your character's circumstances and figure out the best way to go foreward. In this case, he needs to increase his own power base so he can deal with the assassins and other nastyness. The game doesn't come out and say "Go get Joias' Ring from the Hobgoblins at the Friendly Arm Inn" unless you go into her house and talk to her. The game is FILLED with hidden stuff to do, kill, and loot.
  • OrieOrie Member Posts: 15
    ok well i did have a full party of people they all wanted me to go to Nashkel and began to pester me if i did not, but after i got there i was still lvl 1 and so were they not to mention the fact that when i got there the the quests they had went poof and chapter2 started up.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    As @CaptRory implied, you have to build your party's experience with some side quests or even exploring of areas. Don't listen so much to what the NPC's are asking you to do. They have their own built in quests and they are reminding you of it, which serves to increase the role playing atmosphere. But those can wait until you get to build up your party's ability to survive.

As a relative beginner of the computer game, it might be best to follow the strategy of questioning everyone, knocking on every door and carefully exploring each map you are on. When your characters take much damage or some of your spells are consumed, then retreat to the FAI or Beregost, rest, memorize your spells and equip if necessary, then return and continue exploring. Your character's experience and equipment and tactics will grow, and you will eventually be able to take on and survive in the riskier areas.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Actually I'd disagree with that - the game very strongly pushes you to go to Nashkel (the very first two NPC couples you meet both tell you to go there), so it would at the very least be questionable game design if you had to level grind first.

How is your party equipped? Early on missile weapons are your best friend as fighters simply don't have the HP to take more than a few hits and casters don't have enough interesting spells to be useful so make sure you buy some slings for the mages.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    The first level is the hardest, almost everything can kill you with one hit. Second level makes life MUCH easier =).
    You made it to Nashkel = your followers should be happy, right? You can go back and finish the whole maps between nashkel and Friendly arms inn, I am pretty sure this will bring your party level to lvl 2. You will probably need at least that before you go for the mines.

Have fun =)
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    It helps very much to hunt around the "World" map in order to find places that will enhance your reputation around Nashkel once you get there, so you can buy strong equipment and eventually waltz through Nashkel mines like a cake walk. What I kind of like about Nashkel mines is that even though you'll have a lot of problems at level 2-3, beating it at level 4 is almost a non-challenge.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited May 2013
    ambrennan said:

Actually I'd disagree with that - the game very strongly pushes you to go to Nashkel (the very first two NPC couples you meet both tell you to go there), so it would at the very least be questionable game design if you had to level grind first.

Plus these two NPC pairs will leave your party for good if you don't comply with their request to go to Nashkel in time, which gimps you even more than having everyone at level 1.

Explore a bit in and around Beregost. Don't stray too far into the woods. There are small quests in Beregost that give you some XP and better items and they are suited for level 1 parties. Depending on the direction you head into the woods, you may meet enemies that might be too strong for you at this time. A level 2 full party should be able to handle the main quests; there's no need to grind to higher levels at this point.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    There's also some of the best armor in the game hidden in Nashkell. Press the tab button walking around the farms there.

Equipment is Soooooo important in this game. More important than levels to some degree.

How many levels would a soldier need to kill a tank on his own? Now give him a anti-tank weapon or a sack of grenades and his odds go up sharply. This would be comparable to a wand of paralyzation or a necklace of fireballs. =)
  • OrieOrie Member Posts: 15
    thank you all for your insight i will try a few of these ideas in a process of elimination.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    keeping this brief, things you will likely need to improve chances of survival.

One heavily armoured tank with great constitution/dex if you can, fighters using Ranged combat, the arcane spell sleep, blindness or spook. A cleric or healing potions. A thief and some stealth for scouting ahead. the biggest one Equipment+ consumables, if you can find good equipment on your travels then you will be the hot knife that cuts through the butter of the forgotten realms.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Just a quick note:
    Orie said:

ok well i did have a full party of people they all wanted me to go to Nashkel and began to pester me if i did not, but after i got there i was still lvl 1 and so were they not to mention the fact that when i got there the the quests they had went poof and chapter2 started up.

Chapter changes don't mean squat. You can do quests you get in chapter one in any other chapter (unless you're trapped in the Underdark or something).
  • butsambutsam Member Posts: 46
    I agree with recommending you wait until Level 2 before actually entering the mines. Also, stock up on missile weapons. There are some XP-gaining quests in Beregost and a couple around the Friendly Arm Inn to get you to the point when your character will be Level 2. There are also quests in and around Nashkel, some of which you can do as level 1 (in particular, check out the Circus).

If you need more help, let me know; I don't want to include spoilers yet without you asking specifically for them.

I will say this -- normally, my playthroughs go like this:
    * Friendly Arm Inn (plus its subquests)
    * Beregost (plus its easier subquests)
    * The easier Nashkel-area subquests
    -- Around this time, I am easily Level 2 possibly even Level 3 depending on what character I'm playing...some characters level up faster than others.
    * The other Nashkel-area subquests (including Minsc's subquest)

Then, there is a natural breaking point...you can do more in the southern side of the map (lots of subquests), or you can stay on the main path. I usually stay on the main path until Chapter 5, then do a lot of the subquests all at once...but for a first playthrough, it is probably easier to stay on the south side of the map and do some of the quests at that time before continuing on the main path...sprinkling in some subquests, and noting locations of some that are too difficult so you can return later.

What character are you playing? *FOR A NEWBIE*, a fighter-type class (fighter/barbarian/paladin/darklord) is probably the easiest to play...although for me personally, I prefer mage classes. Mages may be the hardest class for a newbie at low levels though...they have low HP and level up real slow. It certainly can be done your first playthrough (I did it that way my first time through because I find the class that much fun), but it will require a bit more patience at the beginning, and more deaths.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I understand your problem. When I first started playing BG, all the npcs were like "Go here now!" So I did. So I died.

BG is a unique game. It is the perfect cross between exploration and RPG. A lot of RPGs today depend on you specifically following the game prompts to succeed. BG almost encourages getting distracted. The more distracted you get from the main quest, the more RPG opportunities you have, and the better off you are in most cases.

Beware, though, because sometimes, if you don't do an NPC's quest within a given amount of time, that NPC will leave the party, depending on the NPC. This is specific to NPCs only, unless a quest actually gives you a time frame in which to complete it. Those quests will specifically give you 10 days, or another specific time frame, so you can easily determine that that quest should be done soon. But, if you don't do it, oh well--you just don't gain the reward. All the other quests that go something like this: "Please, you must help us NOW!!!! or we will all die NOW!!!!!" can be completed at your leisure.

If ever you find a quest that is too hard, just come back later.

Be distracted in this game, lose focus on the main point. This AD&D game favors people with ADD.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    The other piece of advice is save often, and have multiple saves dating back a few days. If you get stuck, or fail a quest, you can reload an earlier save.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Disagreeing with some of the advice above, if you follow the NPCs prompts to get down to Nashkel right away, and you don't do some exploring in the areas around Beregost and Nashkel, you will risk getting into the Nashkel mines at level 1. It will be murder, and your thief may keep going down from ranged weapons and traps. The final battle might also be a bit much. Do it at level 1, only if you want that kind of challenge. Taking time to explore nearby Beregost and then a little in the areas around Nashkel and getting to level 2 with better equipment will make the Nashkel mines much more doable.

After that, whenever the main story line points the party in a new direction, I assume that the scroll also gives a date which is more like ten days from now when the opponents expect to be there. I use the extra time in side quests or exploring nearby locations in order to help build up the party's experience and equipment for the next main encounter.