Skip to content

How much would you pay for a casual Indie Game?

IrbisIrbis Member Posts: 49
Heyah guys ^^
To cut the chase - i am making some Indie casual games. By casual i mean they are nowhere near behemoths such as Baldurs Gate. More like Desktop Dungeon style.
Basically its a game you can play as much as you want but the idea is to deliver the player as much fun as possible in the shortest amount of time.
A typical games you would play when waiting for a bus, or in your coffee break down the office, or when you have half an hour and you don't know what to do with it and yet you want some sort of entertainment.

I am making such games. But i have a hard time to name the price per each copy. I know that bigfish companies charge the player even around 30-60 bucks but the content they delive is totaly out of my rich.
I was thinking about 5-10 euro. Thats enough for me to not starve and at the same time to not ruin the players wallet badly. I would charge less but the costs of hosting, taxes and money transfer fee of PayPal when being small alone - add up and eats almost half of the profit. So out of that 5-10 euro by the end of he day i would earn about 2,5-5 euro. Which would be a problem if i would hit the sell of 10mil copies (minecraft lol) but being realistic - i wont dream of more then 2-5 sold copies per day... and actualy i would be DAMN happy to have a base min. of 5 copies per day!
So how much you guy would be willing to pay for an Indie Casual Title that suits your taste?
Please go HERE and Vote in pool. This way i will have an easier time tracking your opinions and votes.

Chears!

Comments

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    So you want to be a part of the gaming industry? Know that it is not as difficult to attain success as it would seem. I cannot give you any advice since it is unwise to aid competition, but the one and only thing you need is being conscious of your abilities. However, seeing that you are rather pessimistic as regards your earnings, I suggest that you also try to have more belief in yourself. Though I do understand that it is difficult to be an optimist while being Polish and for that reason I also wish you powodzenia. You are going to need it.
  • IrbisIrbis Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    God said:

So you want to be a part of the gaming industry? Know that it is not as difficult to attain success as it would seem. I cannot give you any advice since it is unwise to aid competition, but the one and only thing you need is being conscious of your abilities. However, seeing that you are rather pessimistic as regards your earnings, I suggest that you also try to have more belief in yourself. Though I do understand that it is difficult to be an optimist while being Polish and for that reason I also wish you powodzenia. You are going to need it.

Well actualy ive been working in the industry for quite some time now. As a writer, graphics artist and voice actor. But i was always hired or my skills rented. 3-4 years ago i started trying to create something all by myself but from that time i never managed to finish any project(IndieDev worst nightmare) even when many of them are stuck in beta stage (playable, stable, unfinished, unpolished).
    This time i am quite serious.
    Hehe @ the polish remark :) well, you may know how the situation is over here. Even if you are a happy-go-lucky kind of person, you gain alot of self-doubting and pesimism when living here. Like the walls are closing in...
    Anyway, being a lone GameDev with virtualy no one else beside me in the team permanently... it really requaires alot of GUTS to keep on going. But i manage. Have a wife and son to feed hehe. So "giving up" is not an option for me. I am not doing this for myself.
    For past 12 months ive been working on two games. Had a little breakdown a month ago. Thx to my BG:EE mod "Faces!" i and the power of people support i managed to regain my motivation.

Thank you for your kind words my friend. They were quite unexpected!
    Kudos and thank you once more :)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Irbis: Hmm, difficult question. You have to take the quality of the game (the 'level' of the graphics), the resources you used (special software, harware, etc), and the time and effort you put into the game into consideration. To really give a price, I'd need more information about the game and what it looks like. How long is the game? What is its replayability value? Is it as 'casual' as Angry Birds, for example? What is does the game have to offer? Depending on all of these questions, I would base a price between 10 and 15 euros. Most 'minor' games cost about that much nowadays. I bought the Angry Birds games for 10 euros per copy, and Don't Starve (look it up on Steam, if you wish) for about 11 euros. But as I said, I'd have to see images and get more info on the game to help you further, as it depends on a lot of factors. Hope this at least helped a bit.
    Also, I wish you much and success, as being a 'small' developer can be quite hard these days. But the Indie market certainly is growing. Especially after the so-maniest Call of Duty clone. :p
  • IrbisIrbis Member Posts: 49
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud Thank you :)
    Both for information and for the kind words.
    You dont have idea how much they motivate me.
    I literaly feed on them haha!
    Kudos! :)
    @Irbis: You're welcome. I always appreciate new talent in the gaming business. Makes it feel less about money, and more about passion and vision. Well, of course money's important too, but not all-consuming, like with big AAA titles, which just get milked... When your game(s) are finished, mind sending me some screenshots? This topic made me curious as to what they look like. :) You could even make a topic about them here, to promote/introduce them. Who knows, you might even find some potential buyers! :)
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Wish you luck young developer.
    Do you know google appstore?
    I think the prices they have are reasonable most of case.
    cf. steam have a game interesting enough buying and the name is dust elysian tale. It have replaybility good control and beautiful graphic but above of all it is cheaper than what it should be priced.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    That's a really tough question to answer, and it really depends on the game; overall size, look and feel, what the game involves, story, genre and style (puzzle solving, point and click, 2D or 3D, etc.), and an estimated length of time it would take to complete.

Whatever the case, I wish you luck.
    Teflon