Skip to content

Anyone surprised at how popular Baldur's Gate currently is?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Original BG has been around for a long time, and the amount of advertising over the years has been widespread. BGEE I think has not had such a high level of ad support yet, and newer products often need to follow a growth curve that tends to rise a bit slowly at first until the information reaches more people.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Yeah, and BG2EE is going to be the big seller I feel. For me at least, it is by far my most favorite game.
    Although I love BGEE, it might be that the old-schoolers who buy BG1 arent as attracted to the new features in BGEE.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've read comments from a lot of people who refuse to switch until they can play a fully modded setup.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    This is the first time I've hear that the game is still selling - I'd have thought that it would be bargain bin compilation at best.
    Besides, BG is... a product of it's time (released before Microsoft Windows had multi-user support and when very application ran as administrator) and the result is quite ugly on modern operating systems. For example, I spent half a day (mostly cursing Microsoft) when I wanted to import a SoA char into ToB for the first time (save files created by users to be written to C:/programme files/blah are transparently stored in User/.Appdata, ToB unlike SoA needs to be run as admin to pass the CD check but the game doesn't see compatibility files when running as admin)... oh, and running ToB as admin is a bad idea to begin with.
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    I got BG 1 Vanilla through Dungeons and Dragons Anthology. :)
    I specifically got D&D Anthology for BG I, II, and II THrone of Bhaal. The other six or so games were just a bonus.:)
  • DrakeEBDrakeEB Member Posts: 20

I've read comments from a lot of people who refuse to switch until they can play a fully modded setup.

That's pretty much were i'm at....I bought BG EE already but can't get into it much until more mods are available.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Surprised? No.

Do I think it will sell more? Yes.

Multiplayer alone will cause a surge I feel... Something I am particularly looking forward to.

Also when BG2:EE will come out. People will want the set!
  • AaronDemonciaAaronDemoncia Member Posts: 31
    i LOVE bgee, but ill admit BG1 was always more of a chore to play once i played bg2, even tutu could only make the game more in line with 2's approach i thought. ill support bgee but im really supporting bg2e and bgte. if a third game gets greenlit ill support that too but even when THIS was announced i was secretly hoping for bg2 and bgte
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Baldur's gate is Baldur's gate. No mods or enhanced editions will replace it. I like the EE and I also like mods but that is not what Baldur's gate is. The moment you apply a mod(content mod, that adds new npcs, quests etc...), it is not BG anymore. The same goes for the EE. I like Neera and Rasad but they are out of place somehow(never recruited Dorn. Where is this guy anyway?)
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    I'm superhyped on buying bg2:ee just for the prettied up visuals. I always play this game now and again and this new version will save my eyes :D Everything else is just puddin'
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Djimmy said:

Baldur's gate is Baldur's gate. No mods or enhanced editions will replace it. I like the EE and I also like mods but that is not what Baldur's gate is. The moment you apply a mod(content mod, that adds new npcs, quests etc...), it is not BG anymore. The same goes for the EE. I like Neera and Rasad but they are out of place somehow(never recruited Dorn. Where is this guy anyway?)

At the Friendly Arm Inn. Talk to him and he will NOT join you. But still - do talk to him.

Go south and continue on your quest. Someone just might run in to you ...
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831

Djimmy said:

At the Friendly Arm Inn. Talk to him and he will NOT join you. But still - do talk to him.

Never understood how Dorn knows who you are at this point when you haven't really done anything but walk from FAI to Nashkel Mines. :P
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2013
    Elendar said:

Djimmy said:

Never understood how Dorn knows who you are at this point when you haven't really done anything but walk from FAI to Nashkel Mines. :P
    Maybe he too got the bounty notice on CHARNAME and decided go with the group...
    Elendar said:

Djimmy said:

It's a possibly salvageable mistake. While Dorn shouldn't know anything about you based on your reputation, he should be able to "sense" who/what you are, or something, maybe his Patron tells him about you.
    A quick blurb in patches or something should be able to repair this mistake.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I am surprised, really. For the die-hard fan knowledgable in modding and stuff, BG1 is a must to have. But I can't imagine any casual or new player preferring BG1 over BG:EE. It is no contest, really. The improvements are huge!
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    lunar said:

I am surprised, really. For the die-hard fan knowledgable in modding and stuff, BG1 is a must to have. But I can't imagine any casual or new player preferring BG1 over BG:EE. It is no contest, really. The improvements are huge!

Improvements are huge, but not polished yet ...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The "improvements" generally break a lot of stuff that was working properly in BG1, but F'd up in BG2 and then take it to a magnitude worse beyond......and then we get to the bugs.

As far as new NPCs, Dorn is the only one I have issue with (he's just way too strong for an already OP kit, if they reduced his str to 17 he would be more in line with the other NPCs, rather then feeling like you're playing with another PC character). Beyond that, writing is fine for the NPCs.

Also didn't like the new kits AT ALL. There were plenty of legitimate 2nd edition kits that could've been easily added, in place of a bunch of new 3rd ed classes being converted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Samus said:

Indeed. The choice of adding additional 3rd edition kits seems to be an odd one.

Sorcerers themselves weren't quite 2nd Edition characters.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    No, they weren't (well, not as implemented in BG: There is a 'Sorcerer' in 2E, I believe, presumably as a Wizard kit).

I've been trawling through a lot of them 2E manuals in pdf format, and I have to say there are a ton of really interesting kits that could have been implemented in place of the 3rd edition ones. That said, I am a huge fan of the Blackguard...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2013
    I got very surprised when they've announced BG:EE, I wasn't born at the time the first BG came out, but I played a CD edition 7 years ago, I was so young that I couldn't pass Candlekeep, but that finished didn't there, 7 later, searching for BG1 screenshots, I find out about BG:EE. I felt It is a nice remaster, and that it has many improvements, I haven't the opportunity to compare them, but I can say BG:EE has multiple new features, but classics are CLASSICS, and they can't replaced.

Also, BG:EE is very difficult to mod, but its platform compatibility makes it, in some ways, better, it could be played on a iPad, but everything has good and bad things (BG:EE can't be modded properly, and Kits weren't on BG1(I like Kits a lot, but I like Elven Multi-classes a lot more:D).