Skip to content

R.I.P LucasArts

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Disney is a big conglomerate of morons for shutting it down. They will likely regret such a decision later.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Its hard to mourn lucas arts since they haven't done anything worth while for over 10 years.
    I'd say disney are a better publisher than they were.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Tresset said:

Disney is a big conglomerate of morons for shutting it down. They will likely regret such a decision later.

That's actually what my brother said. I don't follow the video game industry as much. He also said they sue a lot of people.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    @Tresset you can say that again. I heard Diz-Nee shows no mercy to ppl who use their product without permission.
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp
    Yeah even daycare center no exception, just great.
    oh by the way Lucasarts is famous for that too.
    Anyway I will miss lucasarts since I liked their adventure and simulation games tiefighter secret weapon of luftwaffe etc. Not much a fan of starwars stuff though.
    Goodbye guybrush.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @ajwz: Knowing that Disney is full of plagiarizing scumbags (I saw a tweet on Twitter today of a girl whose drawing was stolen by Disney and used on merchandise for sale in their own shop), I'm not in their favour right now. Worst thing about this is that Disney will probably get away with it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited April 2013

@ajwz: Knowing that Disney is full of plagiarizing scumbags (I saw a tweet on Twitter today of a girl whose drawing was stolen by Disney and used on merchandise for sale in their own shop), I'm not in their favour right now. Worst thing about this is that Disney will probably get away with it.

Come off it, every time I hear someone saying their deviant art fan sketch has been stolen by a company I just want to strangle them

Edit: Definitely not arguing against the fact that disney are evil though.
    Just a little ironic for people to be crying foul over lucus arts being mistreated. Who of course have always been notoriously liberal with their licensing :p
  • KamehouseKamehouse Member Posts: 66
    :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Original comment said something about BioWare. KOTOR was a LucasArts/BioWare project that was one of the top games of all time. As for space games, TIE fighter (expanded) is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Anyway, I agree that the last 10 years haven't been great, but there have been some gems.

That's never the best question, however. Was LucasArts profitable and/or self-sustaining? My guess is 'no'. A lot of that is probably caused by the closed license, which limited who could work on Star Wars projects and the like.

Saddest part is 1313 looked to be a really good and fun game, and it is now in hiatus/canceled.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I hope they will farm the license out so we can see a KOTOR sequel - not a MMORP (or whateve the anacronym is).

Shout out to the Monkey Island franchise for plenty of wit and bad puns!
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Well LucasArts was way ahead Bioware but not that both companies did totally different games no....
    RIP LucasArts i had lots of fun in my youth enjoying all your crazy adventures! Thanks many for that and screw you Lucas for ruining such a cool thing!
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Sad to hear but like others have said, it has been rather quiet around them the past decade.

Still, i had such a bladt playing all id their nineties point snd click adventures. Monkey island, day of the tentacle, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis... Good times
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I miss Knights of the old republic.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Respect for what they used to me, but at this point it was more of a mercy killing.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    For some reason (and I'm sorry if others don't feel the same), I feel positive about this...hopefully now, they'd veer towards a true KotOR sequel and not just some MMO crap.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    This is what happens when you sell your baby to money hungry corporate stooges. I don't know why Lucas sold his baby, he should have given it to his kids as an inheritance.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Because Lucasarts was doing so well before he sold Star Wars.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Maybe LucasArts should've put more effort into creating something worthwhile and reachable within the resources available instead of selling out. Selling out is the cheap way to go, afterall.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think there were some gems in the LucasArts crown. Most recently, Force Unleashed. Anyway, hopefully, we'll get games that are different and new again (a lot of LucasArts games were retreads or cashing in on a recent film).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I think there were some gems in the LucasArts crown. Most recently, Force Unleashed. Anyway, hopefully, we'll get games that are different and new again (a lot of LucasArts games were retreads or cashing in on a recent film).

Force Unleashed wasn't a great PC port. Other than that it was an alright game.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    It's sad to see LucasArts go given some of the classics they made, but in the state they were in, it's no great loss.