Skip to content

need a tough fight pre-bandit camp, or advise on difficulty

I'm playing through BG with 4 friends of mine in a lan MP session: Fighter, Archer, Thief and Illusionist. Problem is, we've cleared Nashkel and some of the surrounding areas and the fighter and archer can tear through pretty much anything by themselves (Drizzt went down surprisingly quick to the archer with comp. longbow +1 and bracers of archery + summoned hobgoblins). For all I know, the difficulty is 'normal', meaning I haven't touched it, and my friends are complete noobs.

Short of Durlag's tower where we'd just die to traps, are there any hard fights before bandit camp? Doomsayer and the Idol comes to mind, but don't really remember how tough he is. Also, does difficulty affect mob stats only or their AI/actions as well?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Doomsayer is tought-tough, especially because I think it's completely immune to missile and normal weapons? (I am not sure, been really a long while). Doomsayer is definitely much more powerful than your standard battle horror or Doom Guard.

Khalak the Ogre Mage is also a tough bastard. He's located in the Firewine Bridge, you speak to a lady mage and you have to persuade her to give you her jar. At one point she'll die and this big-oh man with minor globe of invulnerability, incredible speed and lightning bolts will appear.

Other than those two, try the mercenary group on the south Gulykin border and the band of adventurers in the center of the Basilisks' area. Both those if fought all together can be matched to the final Bandit Camp fight (but they are definitely nowhere near as strong as the Cloakwood Mines exterior group)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Difficulty does not alter monster stats or intelligence. You just take double damage from everythin on insane difficulty.
    Scs mod greatly enhances enemy inteligence. Mobs will attack together, enemies will have and drink potions, enemy spell casters will use their spells so intlligently that you will cry. I don't know how it works on multiplayer though, even if all the participants have it installed exactly the same.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    I hear what you're saying about Firewine and Gulykin, that's probably a good idea since I never think I actually bothered clearing those places on my previous runs. We did clear out mutanin and his pets (and the mercenaries) right after FAI, that's mainly the problem i think (since the levels just kept on coming).

Scs sounds interesting, I guess it works if it's installed on all the computers? Does it work with EE? I'll try the increased damage first, anyway, but it's a thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited May 2013
    lunar (how do I tag posters?), did you try scs in EE? does it work? i just read its thread now, and it doesnt seem to have been updated in awhile...

edit: looks like it has got quite a few bugs, some of which seem potentially gamebreaking. I'd happily hear from anyone who has played through with it though, since it appears to be just what I'm looking for
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Samus party is overrated. GO SOLO! D:

@raelcari to tag posters, just put the "@" symbol in front of their names! :)
    @raelcari

Answered your questions on scs thread. You can go for a minimalist install approach 'smarter general AI, enemies have potions, smarter mages, smarter priests' these components are bug-free and work incredibly good. Sme chapter end battles are buggy:Mulahey and Davaeorn battle components may be skipped.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    davaeorn is bugged? that is kind of sad
    zur312 said:

davaeorn is bugged? that is kind of sad

@zur312 Okay, I don't want to spread wrong rumours. In my previous mod version he couldn't use up his sbilities effectively after some time. If it is fixed in the newest version, which I haven't tried, I aplogise.
    edited May 2013
    i basically turned down every component for chapter-end battles, since i read some of those were buggy, and installed a lot of the other stuff. pretty intricate though, since I imagine it has to be even on all the computers. I'll post in the scs thread again later on how it worked out on MP, really a shame the guy's not updating it cause it's an amazing mod.

edit: @lunar is it possible to temper with the settings after the actual 50ish-questions custom install?

edit: thanks a lot @Cheesebelly, that made a lot of sense :)
    Post edited by raelcari on