Skip to content

When do you go to Watcher's Keep (BG:2 Spoilers)

I have recently been playing through BG2 and really taking my time. I am still in Chapter 2 and have finally gone to Watcher's keep. After playing through the top level it really got me to thinking about when people actually go there. Obviously there is the Big Baddie at the bottom which requires quite some power to take down, but really the upper levels can be quite rewarding.

Basically, you go in and immediately pick up a potion bag, some unlimited amo and the amo pouch. These three (variably) items really revolutionize the inventory problems with the game, totally wiping out many of the issues that exist. There are also some other items and reasons to go early even if you don't finish the quest line.

So, when do people go, and why? I'd be curious to hear.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I recommend going during the early part of "Throne of Bhaal", specifically

after recruiting Sarevok and completing Saradush.

It's mostly for plot reasons: Watcher's Keep is a lengthy, interesting dungeon that lets me get used to the new party dynamic without immediately diving into ToB's plot...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I don't go there any more, but when I did it was in the ToB portion of the game.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I usually do it after the Underdark, because some parts can cause problems for my chronically level-starved dual-class characters. After the Underdark, most of my levels are back so it's a nice treasure trove to loot.

I've done it in Chapter 2 before, though. As long as you know what you're doing, it's relatively easy. The only hard part, really, is the "party" encounter guarding the Final Seal.
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2013
    If I'm powergaming to the max, I'll do levels 1 & 2 pretty early.

Nowadays, though, unless I'm taking sarevok I install the component of SCS2 that makes Watchers Keep happen after SOA and before TOB. I think this makes for a more satisfying role play and generally slightly better power curve (though it will make Saradush/Yaga-Shura a little easy).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2013
    Usually just floor 1 immediately, that returning Dart is nice. Unless I'm soloing, and then I'll just clear the whole thing, since it doesn't really matter when you do it in that case.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I would go in TOB or Irenicus will be a total pushover with the extra levels and loot.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    first two levels early when i feel like doing them
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Chapter 3, generally. However, the problem is: if you go through the whole thing (minus, perhaps, Demogorgon) before going to Spellhold, Spellhold and everything that follows will be too easy.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I usually go immediately after the Underdark. Usually, that's when I have my party in its final form. Sometimes I wait a little if I want Mazzy and don't have her yet. So maybe I should say the key is, as soon as I have my party in its final form.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I do level 1 and maybe part of level 2 late into SoA so I can get the bags of plenty and stop worrying about ammo and do the rest right after
    killing Sendai, normally for levels and to get epic gear for Abazigal and Balthazar

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    It's nice to grab the potion bag and the ammo belt. It saves a lot of time from inventory management.

Players should know that the number of guardians and the difficulty of random monsters are dependent on party levels. If the party enters WK at the beginning of Chapter 2 SoA, there are fewer guardians in level 1, the demons in level 3 have fewer special abilities and wont call for help (some of them actually disappear!), and demogorgon will only summon 2 sidekicks (instead of 5).

It's easy to do WK at lower levels if you have the proper people and equipments. Such as:

-Mages
    -Wands

I've done it twice in the low level challenge (party members never level up).
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    If you go with the Aeire romance
    I'd do it after killing the Ravager in the pocket plane, just before the final encounter at the Throne. That way, there's time for the baby to be born.

Otherwise I'd do it late SoA, early ToB.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    not until ToB
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @bbear - LOL. I find it interesting what you chose to 'spoiler' alert and what you don't.

thanks everyone for the replies. Personally, as I said above, I go in the top two levels early on so I can get the inventory management. Then I RP that it is just too difficult and come back after I come out of the UD or just as I begin ToB. Then I make for 'the Machine' and finish off the dungeon.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    bbear said:

Players should know that the number of guardians and the difficulty of random monsters are dependent on party levels. If the party enters WK at the beginning of Chapter 2 SoA, there are fewer guardians in level 1, the demons in level 3 have fewer special abilities and wont call for help (some of them actually disappear!), and demogorgon will only summon 2 sidekicks (instead of 5).

Does that happen even if you just enter the first level?

• AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    I usually go there after I kill Yaga-Shura - makes more sense plot wise, because you are no longer in a rush to save Saradush. And I don't go to Watcher's Keep before ToB for the same reason - there are enough dungeons to explore as it is, going to Watcher's Keep before Spellhold feels like I'm stalling time and betraying Imoen. Going after Underdark doesn't make much sense either because there is no time - you gotta save the elven city and beat Irenicus before he succeeds with his plans, which you can still easily do without extra XP from Watcher's Keep.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    I don't really remember, but could you do WK 2 times, once in SoA anc another one in ToB, or does it counts as done when you go back in ToB? I never tried it but I always thought you could.