Skip to content

Customise Party Formations

moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I'd like the ability to be able to choose a party formation from the predetermined list and then be able to manually allocate party members to specific positions.

Because of the somewhat annoying pathfinding I find myself using one of the two wide formations which mainly have the party leader positioned at the head of the party. All of the single line formations again have the party leader out front (which is often deadly if you are a frail mage type).

I'm not sure how much work this would be - thought I would through it out there for consideration though.

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @decado - I'm not sure what you are asking for, actually. You can sort the order of your party to put them in the order you want. I generally use the arrow shaped one to explore outside, the 2x3 for normal mode and the offset line for narrow places. Clicking multiple times on the formation moves where the leader goes in the formation. The game seems to let you do exactly what you want.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

@decado - I'm not sure what you are asking for, actually. You can sort the order of your party to put them in the order you want. I generally use the arrow shaped one to explore outside, the 2x3 for normal mode and the offset line for narrow places. Clicking multiple times on the formation moves where the leader goes in the formation. The game seems to let you do exactly what you want.

Problem solved then, you learn something new even after years. I never knew that double clicking the formation moved the leaderspot in the formation (which was my main complaint).

@decado - the bright green circle is you. It'll take a little tweaking, but it's do-able (I learned this by doing it accidentally). Play with it and see :D

If I'm wrong, my Jaheira strike me down to feed the earth...
    I'll have to re-install to check it out!
    It might be right-clicking on the formation to change where the leader is, but I think that just brings the alternate formations. My favorites are the T (3 melee in front), the arrowhead and the other two. The rest haven't been ones I've used.

Let me know if I led you astray :D
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Clicking multiple times on the formation moves where the leader goes in the formation. The game seems to let you do exactly what you want.

That would be great, if it actually worked. Tried just now in both BG1 and 2 and I can't seem to get it to work. Only thing that does work is right-clicking to bring up the entire list of possible formations. Might this be a functionality you have from some mod?
    I guess my request can be simplfied - ideally I'd like to be able to choose the leader position in any formation. All the other ones can be worked around.
    Are you trying BG vanilla or BGTutu? BG1 or 2? There was a shift of the leader in the position when I played - the bright green slot was me and the dark green were NPC's.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Vanilla, both games, with expansions. I've also tried shift/ctrl/alt clicking, but no dice.
    I'm trying to find out how it worked for me. If I can't, then you can always re-order your characters so they fill the positions the way you want.

I think I solved it. Its' not quite as good as I remember. Right click formations. Some have the silver (char #1) in different places (like the middle of the formation). These give some, but not as good as you suggested, customization to formations. Sorry for leading you astray.
    That's a shame, I was aware that some formations had the leader position in different spots, however unless you are a melee type then the majority of the leader positions in the party are unsuitable.
  • NoeffixNoeffix Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Well.. Im almost a year late (but for everyone else looking), but you can actually do exactly what you want with it. The reply was correct, he just forgot how.

On the right, you can drag toons up and down to change the picture order.. thus changing their spots in EACH formation.. so every formation has 6 possible configurations ;) Enjoy
    CorpusDelicti
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Noeffix said:

Well.. Im almost a year late (but for everyone else looking), but you can actually do exactly what you want with it. The reply was correct, he just forgot how.

On the right, you can drag toons up and down to change the picture order.. thus changing their spots in EACH formation.. so every formation has 6 possible configurations ;) Enjoy

I think most people know about that. The issue is the position of the leader. If you want your PC to be party leader, the PC has to be at the top. And there's no way to change the PC's position in those preset formations.
  • NoeffixNoeffix Member Posts: 2
    Well I hadnt played in years, and what do PL give over position? chat options on charisma rolls?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Noeffix said:

Well I hadnt played in years, and what do PL give over position? chat options on charisma rolls?

I don't think it gives different chat options. Probably charisma rolls. And the voice set it uses when you order the party around.
    The Bhaalspawn in my party is always the leader and hence is always in the top slot. You still can't customise the party formation so that the party leader is in a spot of your choosing.

Yeah, 99.9% of people know you can reshuffle the portraits on the right to determine the order. It's not what I was asking for.