Skip to content

Please make old movies available again

2»

Comments

• MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    Modders already managed to get the old movies into the new game.

You'll want to visit the following thread for instructions.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8193/getting-the-original-movies-in-enhanced-edition#latest
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I don't wish to install anything right now from modders, because I don't know if the resolution causes more bugs as there already are, or if a new patch comes out is it working with this resolution, etc. But thanks for the information, I will check it. I still wait for an official resolution.
    I repost this topic with more reasoning now.
    I have to cut my reasoning to peaces, because of the limit of how much text I can place in this dialogue box. So please find:
    Please make old movies available again.
    1) The old movies were great. They had much more horror and fun in it, as the new static ones. I loved the quote from Nietzsche, the moment of hope and horror in the Intro, the phrase „I am not alone”, and so on. The others are brilliant too.
    2) The old movies are running on old computers too, as my wife’s.
    3) The new movies are too static and cold in my opinion. They are too short, so the original sound is cut to half. This new movies are not running on my wife’s computer. And that’s sad, because all we wanted from this game was to enjoy the Multiplayer game play with each other.
    4) It was announced and advertised on the Main Page that all movies are / will be replaced with new ones at the launch. It came not true: many of them are still missing. This is causing many errors, Multiplayer is not playable. We had 4 freezing in 3 hours... My wife said that this game (version) is not fun anymore. Every time you wish to rest in Inns or at the Mine, the game freezes itself in paused mode. If you catch nightfall or a sunset it freezes again.
    4 cont.) (The game says in the dialogue box: paused for loading movie; and then it is not possible to un-pause the game.) It freezes before the FAI main gate / bridge too. (Too much time to loose, because we must go out from the Town, and this is always risky too: every time you sleep outdoors there is a chance for monsters appearing. It can take an hour of gameplay just to try to sleep and try to sleep again until the HPs and Spells regained. And that’s sad, because all we wanted from this game was to play Multiplayer with each other.
    So our Wish is:
    A) Please make the old movies available again in-game. This would allow us to watch them on the old computer too. This would let us play the game without freezing and constant reloading.
    Please let us choose at the beginning of the game which set to watch in-game.
    B) Please unlock the old movies as you unlock the new ones during the game, then we could skip the new ones and watch the older ones after it. Please place the old movies in the Movies section of the Main Game Menu, where the others reside now too.
    C) I posted my Idea here before:
    You could create City Info Page / Castle Info Page / Mission Briefing Pages, etc. After or before a movie starts this Page is displaying. You could use unused Art or the unused Loading Screens for creating them. Put some information about the place / mission / or any other movie theme, and make a small window on this page. So we could watch the old movies in this small window: the resolution and the enjoyment will be fine this way. (You could connect this Pages to Buildings too, for example to the FAI main gate, or at the City Gate, etc. so we can check them later too.)
    Thanks for reading this. Bye
    I'm pretty sure I frightened all the ppl. away from this topic with my wall of text. :-/
    Sent a mail yesterday to Mr. Nathan and Mr. Trent about it. Hoping for the answer we wished.
  • MerryMerry Member Posts: 9
    And I just want to get the old movies. We already saw the book-coming-to-life in the 7th Guest (and they had proper cinematics in the beginning of 90s!)
  • Jason_SilverainJason_Silverain Member Posts: 38
    I expect that despite our wishes nothing will be be done regarding the cinematic's especially considering how bug filled the game is at this time. Most of the developers time will be devoted to fixing those rather than adding/restoring content.
    Yeah, I've stopped complaining. I decided to wait with this Feature request a month or two, and then ask them again. I see the priorities too.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I certainly hope this will be revisited sometime, and to be honest I would be most content if all the movies were remade in the new style. I love the old movies, but I've already seen them all countless times, and it would be nice to see what they might come up with for the Gnoll Stronghold, the Cloakwood, etc.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry. Even if Trent & co will decide to ignore this issue, modders are and will be able to place back the old movies into the game.
  • Jason_SilverainJason_Silverain Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2012
    Due to demand the missing soundbites and quote the intro has been altered to include them, I was initially happy to hear this until I saw the alterations...

First of all the quote doesn't fit on screen in windowed mode making it unreadable and the soundbites have been sped up then placed ontop of the animation making them sound unnatural and out of place.
    I like BG:EE and love the artwork, I really want to give it a shinning commendation but the animator needs to be quietly taken behind the building and shot (or for ironic value choked to death before been thrown from the roof) and his job given to someone who can actually animated.

Its the only repeated disappointment I have with the game even in its bug filled incarnation is that every time I see a cut scene I feel like the animator really couldn't be bothered and did the bare minimum to get a pay check.

Edit: Removing typos.
    Post edited by Jason_Silverain on
    And if you are not an native english speaker (I'm not) you can't understand the "there are others let me show you" phrase it says so quickly. My wife asked me after I showed her the remade movie "What had he said?"
    Some of the new movies are too cold, too static. I don't like the new one for FAI or the new stills where nobody is present on the walls / on the streets.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I completely agree that the old movies should return to BG: EE; the general community is quite disappointed with how the new cinematics turned out. At the very least Overhaul should give us easy access to the originals.

The new cinematics do not fit the style of the game, are poorly animated, and there aren't enough to fill the original number of slots. Simply including the old cinematics fixes these problems.
    Any news about adding the old movies back again? (Adding to the existing ones.) Thanks.

(Ah, until I forgot: any news about "All of the Baldur's Gate cinematics have been replaced with beautifully hand painted animated cinematics, directed by Nat Jones." ? When will the missing ones be added? What about adding the old ones to replace the gaps - until new ones enter? Thanks.)
    Jeebus, that's still up on the main site? I cannot believe that. Guys, either do something about the missing cinematics, or remove the feature promise from your website that states all cinematics have been replaced. And, of course, give an apology or reimbursement or something to those who bought your game with that promise in mind. That this has been ignored for months is ridiculous.
    I posted it many times to many places but it seems nobody cares about it. And not just that, if you check the website you will find many statement that is not truth. I don't think it would be too much time to convert the old movies and place them into the game until the new ones arrive.
    Sese79 said:

I don't think it would be too much time to convert the old movies and place them into the game until the new ones arrive.

I don't believe it's their intention to make new ones at this point. Of course, I would be ecstatic to have Overhaul Games prove me wrong. By all means.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited February 2013
    There's a concern about space limitations, specifically for the iPad. But I'll bring it up again.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    They are not bad, but the horror and fun is missing from them. You can check the old ones at youtube. Thank you Aosaw.
    I checked this again, and yep, there are still missing movies that causes game freeze in multiplayer. The sunset / sunrise movies are missing.
    Check this too:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14665/day-to-night-video-bug#latest
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Aosaw said:

There's a concern about space limitations, specifically for the iPad. But I'll bring it up again.

So don't put them on iPad then? I really don't see why every version should have exactly the same things considering iPad already doesn't have eg. the console. Kinda silly reason to not have something on PC or Mac especially since this hardly asking for the moon.
    Agree.
    (And we could regain our illusion about this Edition because now it seems the "PC port" (or PC version - sorry English is my 3rd Language) is at the end of the list - the least important version of this Edition.)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Ok, so they aren't the best quality. Still, for nostalgic blokes like myself how about adding back the old movies (Introduction, Resting Outside, etc) as extra features or DLC? Just for coolness sake? Not saying replace the new ones - but how about restoring the originals in some form?
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    Does anyone know if the SHS old movie mod works with the current version?