Skip to content

Bg2 Malchor Harpell

Is anyone annoyed at Malchor for stealing your hard earned equipments? He'll show up eventually to take back Drizzt and friends' equipments. If he catches you the second time for possessing Drizzt's items, he'll cast mass imprisonment on the entire party.

It's nearly impossible to kill him. And even if you kill him once, he will spawn again at a different map or on the same map but at a later time.

Here is how I work around this:

Shapechange: Mindflayer+Timestop
or
Shapechange: Mindflayer+Improved Haste

He spawns once per map. If his corpse is still on the map, he cant spawn again on the same map. After entering Suldanessellar, he doesnt spawn anymore.

Now I can happily use Drizzt's Items w/o being bother.

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well... Irenicus most likely has a set of Drizzt's gear too, since he steals all your stuff from BG1... Unless he somehow managed to find Drizzt and sell his gear back to him...
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    There's a component in the BG2 Tweak Pack that removes him from the game - hopefully it'll be adapted to BG2:EE sooner rather than later.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You can also make everyone immune to imprisonment, and run away. When I did it, it caused some hilarious scripting bugs, where he'd randomly appear and crash out any other script in progress, essentially freezing the game in a "dialogue pause" mode.

If you really want Drizzt's gear, just remove him via a mod. Not sure why you would, though, it's not very good in BG2.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It would be cool if when he came to take back your loot, you could kill him too and take his loot.
    Then another powerful famous character would come along.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    A fair hard fight with him? Ok i can go for that, but an script permanent block that keep me from have Drizzt equipment? That's ridiculous.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013

You can also make everyone immune to imprisonment, and run away. When I did it, it caused some hilarious scripting bugs, where he'd randomly appear and crash out any other script in progress, essentially freezing the game in a "dialogue pause" mode.

If you really want Drizzt's gear, just remove him via a mod. Not sure why you would, though, it's not very good in BG2.

There aren't a lot of other scimitar options other than in ToB. So for anyone looking for RP reasons to dual wield scimitars they are kind of a must.

That said it would be nice if they could fix those scripting issues.
    Yes, RP concerns are about the only reason. It's Drizzt after all, people seem to be going crazy every time he's involved.

So, if you really want that gear, just use a mod to remove Malchor. Easy.
    I'm all for consequences for anyone that kill or steal from Drizzt, he's a major character of Faerun, thus any dealing with him can lead to dire consequences (he even warn the party in BG of this issue).

Therefore, if we kill him, ok people should go after my party to revenge, justice, retribution... whatever.

But an instand death issue for something that isn't even story breaking (as attack the Shadow Thiefs in chapter 2 or 3 before dealing with Bodhi), that's ridiculous, this isn't something for mod, it's something to be vanilla fixed, otherwise why ppl are asking for BG2 EE, just mod it!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    The funny thing about the Drizzt encounter was that I used the mindflayer control circlet on him. Afterward, he just meat-grind his allies. Not only did I received good equipments, I also earned some "hard-earned" exp from Drizzt killing his allies.
    I love killing Drizzt, but I also love having Solaufein and he sort of takes over there and makes sure I can't be mean to my most hated ranger :( Bummer.
    Everytime i install Solafein Mod and have him on my party, the game always skip Drizzt's encounter, a shame :(!
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    Don't see why you'd want them to be honest...they're the exact same items as in BG1, and inferior to pretty much all the other options available. That wakazashi that Joluv sells and the spectral brand are both equal or higher and have better hit on it effects, Icing death is just Fire resistance and twinkle is a speck of useless AC, and for thieves the Scarlet Ninja-to is THE back-up melee weapon of choice...speed weapon, nasty poison, +3 for times when you can't backstab (and the SotR is unquestionably better in that area). That dancing scimitar is also pretty sweet.

Gnasher is better for part-druids then most other weapons in the game due to the shear amount of damage it deals, and blackblood is more useful for the +3 stuff, since it can at least interrupt through stoneskins..and neither of Drizzt's weapons can hit +4 or above, so...so..not a whole lot of benefit in the late game. And you only get the oppertunity to get them near the end of the game anyway, meaning you'll likely have equal or better options.

His armor isn't worth consideration AT ALL, simply due to the fact that it has been grossly out classed by every armor type, both in terms of AC and benefits.

Aegis Fang is just a generic +3 hammer, since it's only throwable when Wulfgar is using it, so that's no help. Cattie Brie's bow is about the only half-decent thing that comes out that whole encounter.

And I refuse to use the Solaufein mod (If I bother at all, I just add him manually), since it doesn't actually have THE Solaufien...it has some random drow named Solaufein. Since the REAL Solaufein is a level 12 single class fighter (17 str, 16 dex, 15 Con, 12 int, 14 Wis, 13 cha, LN), that uses a Drow Longsword+3 and Shield+3, and has already made peace with his past and moved on, not a dual-wielding CG F/M Emo-pansey, who whines more then Aerie about his past, and takes over the storyline ALMOST as badly as a certain jailbait paladin that shan't be named (They basically pulled a Novel, and totally ignored the character's fairly well defined personality and instituted their own Drizzt-clone mary-sue in place.....yes he does good programming, but his writing is crap).
    I see no problem with him being fighting/mage, unless that's not a valid legal multi-class for drow society (what i suspect it's not), about Solafein from Weimer's mod being an emo... you're totally right, that hit the nerves, but the eclipse fight is too good also...

Ps: I see no problem in edit Solafein status, cos for a leader of the melee academy, Solafein stats really sucks.

For drizzt items, sometimes people want to roleplay without a fucking engine script telling them that if they do that again, they're going to be punished with an unavoidable fatal death.
    The issue though is, that his character was actually one of several intended to actually be part of the party, if the player wanted, but due to how late he comes, and how hated the late comers in BG1 were, and how suddenly time constrained things were, they decided against it. (he didn't really need any side quests though....he'd be like Haer'daelis, his main personal quest being the quest needed to get him in the first place).

He's still stated properly for an NPC however (and IS actually stronger then the generic drow fighters). And at no point during the process of you working together does he ever employ a magic spell, not even during the only battle he actually fights in or later if you decide to kill him....Dimension door is the only magic he is ever shown using, which also happens to be one of the common powers of a drow house badge (as well as levitation, and some others), that a captain of the house's fighters would likely have.
    edited June 2013
    The problem with placing a new NPC in the Underdark is that recruiting him (or her) is only viable in one specific scenario:

that you took Yoshimo to Spellhold, and then sent Imoen back to the Copper Coronet.

That would be the only situation in which you'd have a space free for a new party member.

As it is, my first BG2:EE team is going to seriously screw with the script, because with a new evil thief in play I won't need Imoen or Yoshimo at all. Should be interesting to see how that part of the game plays out...
    @shawne That would be assuming that you went to Spellhold with a full party. RP-wise, that wouldn't make much sense.
    You don't know Yoshimo will betray you, but you do go there intending to free Imoen; reserving a party slot for her would be a logical choice.

Also, I do agree that Solaufein is far from implemented perfectly. I personally tend to SK him anyway to whatever I need, but it does indeed not make much sense to have him be a F/M. I do however find his personality quite okay; he is a drow after all, likely very old and very learned. It is not too far-fetched for him to be as poetic (and "emo") as he is, especially given how he's had to suppress it for so long. Finally having a chance to live things out can easily result in overdoing it a little.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Nothing a ctrl+Y can't deal with.

Though you'll have to do it every time he appears ^^

@shawne That would be assuming that you went to Spellhold with a full party. RP-wise, that wouldn't make much sense.

I'm pretty sure most players go to Spellhold with a full party anyway, under the entirely reasonable assumption that you can just send her out and pick her up later (which, in fact, you can do).
    Yeah, obviously most people do. I'm just saying that RP-wise, it wouldn't make much sense. She's your dearest friend. You go rescue her. You wouldn't then go "oh nice to have you back, now good luck getting out of here on your own!". Well, I suppose some people would, even in an RP setting. Most wouldn't.

Obviously, that's an RP argument, not a practical one.
    I think the RP angle (operating on the assumption that you don't actually know what's going to happen) is that you're going to rescue her, not necessarily recruit her. By that point you've already gone four chapters without her, it's not too much of a stretch to think she isn't actually meant to be a party member this time around...
    edited June 2013
    I'm pretty sure "rescue" implies "get her out of there", not "talk to her, then send her through a twisted maze of wizardly insanity on her own".
    If rescue can be "hi, i freed you now goodbye", why would main char have any quarrel in left another NPC in the path if even his own sister is being abandoned?

@Lord_Tansheron, the problem with Solafein, is that his behavior as an modded NPC is totally opposite to his behavior in Ush Natha (even after we reveal to him that our party is from the surface), if there's something that Solafein is, that thing is resolute.
    edited June 2013
    Alas, every time I make it to spellhold, poor Immy has succumbed to the evil machinations of fate.....

(Also the beholder city, mind-flayer city, and the two liches you can run into might permanently leave you a party member or two short, depending on difficulty or happenstance, so it's not impossible you'd have a free slot, especially for the RPers who are, GENERALLY, somewhat averse to reloading, unless it's a TPK. (I've personally never been imprisioned, by non-demiliches, but someone people have apparently, so it COULD happen, and depending on your level you won't have much access to freedom...as well as risk of chunking via stone, disintergration, or just outright killing you, at core or higher difficulty).
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182

The issue though is, that his character was actually one of several intended to actually be part of the party, if the player wanted, but due to how late he comes, and how hated the late comers in BG1 were, and how suddenly time constrained things were, they decided against it. (he didn't really need any side quests though....he'd be like Haer'daelis, his main personal quest being the quest needed to get him in the first place).

Do you mean to say that there were other NPCs that we met that were originally intended to be joinable like Solaufein? If so do you know who?
    edited June 2013
    I used to have a list.....just remember Solaufien cause I actually liked him as a character (the real one), and frequently add him to my party.

I think Garren Windspear's daughter was supposed to be joinable, as another paladin npc.

Imeon wasn't one, but ended up getting put back in due to overwhelming support from fans. (Yoshimo is a partial example...he does technically join the party, but his intended questline and ToB sub-plot were cut and weren't slated to begin until after Spellhold).

There were several more planned for ToB (Back when it was supposed to be a full 3rd game), but...well..we all know how that went. They didn't get out of the "well we planned to add more but..." stage.
    The only NPC with plain evidence of being quoted to become joinable is Solafein (it's easly spotted in the game that the devs just gave up in the last moment or just didn't had time to finish Solafein developing as joinable NPC), any other would be possibilities.

I always got the impression that Coran was intent to become re-joinable in BG2, we find him at the chapter 7, in the high forest (married with Safana). Safana try to backstab the party and end dead (not by the party action or intent) and we have a chance to save Coran. His banter when we save him are a bit ridiculous, and i believe also that some content for him was also cut. But it's just a feeling with him.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited June 2013

I think Garren Windspear's daughter was supposed to be joinable, as another paladin npc.

Do you remember where you heard that? Garren Windspear's child is a son if your PC is female, which means a significant amount of extra work (writing, scripting, testing, and separate voice sets) for "one" joinable NPC. (Taar and Iltha are implemented as two completely separate characters with different lines, not one NPC with a special belt on or not.) If true, maybe they were meant to be additional heterosexual love interests, similar to Delainy and Durlyle in TotSC.
    Most of my info is from the old bioware forums.

(Didn't stop Edwin, which alters pretty much all dialog that occurs from that point onward, if you rush through the rest of the game to prevent the normal curing phase of the questline, complete with a full 2nd voice set, along with several strings of banters across a BUNCH of party members). So it's not without precedence.

Though as mentioned, it was an idea of further NPCs they considered. Sola was the closest one to being implemented before shat starting hitting the fan (It was most likely caused since they transitioned staff over to work on ToB before SoA was finalized and came back to bite them when things started falling behind schedule).
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

"Hard earned?!" You earned nothing, you evil bastard, you killed one of the few good aligned drow just to take STEAL his rare equipment!

Right? He should feel the burning stare of my HAMSTER and change his ways