Skip to content

Portrait mismatch for player NPCs & non-player NPCs

What was expected? I met Shar-teel & upon talking to her, expected to fight this lady.

What happened? I met THIS lady! Ugh!!

To make matters worse, this same photo accompanied my encounter w/Safana. You can imagine my discomfort when I heard sexy-Safana's voice coming from this guy.

But it get's creepier! Sometimes when I look @ Minsc I swear I see the same face! Now I'm nervous when it comes time to go to sleep.

Oh well, just thought I's share. Would be nice to have the correct photo's show up.

CT

Comments

• CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    edited March 2013
    FYI to those who might have the ability/desire to fix:

Expected Result: When I click on Minsc , I expect to see the second guy from the bottom on the right (highlighted).

Actual Result: When I click on Minsc to view his Character Record I see this:

While this does not impact game play, it's REALLY irritating.

CT
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    @CharlestonianTemplar. Something has gone wrong with the NPC portraits in your Override folder. It happened to me once when I was changing the portrait of Imoen, and the same guy in platemail started to show up.

Try this.
    Right click on a portrait of Shar-teel (the one at the top of you post here will do).
    Select 'Save Picture As'
    Copy it into your Override folder.
    Mine is located in OS(C:) . Program Files(x86) . Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition . Data . 0766

When you save the Shar-teel portrait you will see it in the folder with some name.
    Right click on the portrait and click Open With Paint.
    In Paint, resize the pixels to (169 x 266) or as close to that as you can get.
    In Paint, then click Save As.. and choose Bitmap.
    Then Save into the Override folder using the name SHARTELM (name absolutely necessary).

Repeat this to Open With Paint again. Resize the pixels to (54 x 84). Save As ..Bitmap
    with the name SHARTELS.

If all this works, then Shar-teel's portraits should reappear in your game. (It worked for me).
    If Minsc's portrait doesn't show up, then you can repeat the above process with a normal portrai of Minsc, and save the portraits as MINSCM and MINSCS in the override file.

Check it out. I know that there are other members of this forum who probably have even more experience with this (it took me awhile last month the work all this out to my understanding). If you are still having trouble, I'll help, but I'm also sure some others will pitch in.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    So this "bug" is not present in the game itself but introduced by the player, right?
    @Aedan. In my case it occurred when I tried to replace a portrait of an NPC. It may have been done incorrectly and the portrait of the warrior showed up instead. After I tried again, the game functioned correctly.

In the case of @CharlestonianTemplar above, however, he implies that he had just brought Shar-teel into his party and he wasn't trying to change a portrait. (we should ask him to be sure). In that case you may have a "bug" in the game. What they may have in common is that both cases the game was unable to find an NPC portrait.
    @franco
    Thanks for the answer. Let us wait and see what CharlestonianTemplar will say about it.
    franco said:

@Aedan.

In the case of @CharlestonianTemplar above, however, he implies that he had just brought Shar-teel into his party and he wasn't trying to change a portrait. (we should ask him to be sure). In that case you may have a "bug" in the game. What they may have in common is that both cases the game was unable to find an NPC portrait.

Actually, I wasn't bringing her into the party, I just approached her w/my PC to initiate the dialogue to bring on the sword fight & move on w/o her. The dialogue box had the photo of the knight in plate mail instead of Shar-Teel. Same exact thing occurred w/Safana a day or so before.

And, I've played the entire game w/Minsc's Small photo of the same dude.

The only photo change I've made is of my PC. I have custom M and S pics of him:

Aside from that, though, I don't mess w/anything else.

Btw, I found the folder you mentioned @ C: Black isle/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Data/00766.

Trying to do what you told me now. Will let you know if I'm successful.

Thanks Franco, Aedan.

CT

edited May 2013
    I looked in that Override folder: The only file in there is one called Elmin.BCS. Have no idea what that file is other than hazarding to guess that it has something to do w/Elminster.

I saved the Shar-Teel Portrait like you suggested, Opened w/Paint, resized both M & S to BITMAPs & named them SHARTELM/S respectively.

To me the most important thing though is fixing Minsc's Medium pic. Gonna try that now....nope. No success.

The only thing I see different from what you were saying Franco, "When you save the ...??? ...portrait you will see it in the 'folder' with some name. Right click on the portrait and click Open With Paint."

I'm not seeing a folder. I'm just saving the portrait directly into the 0766/Override folder, which as I said above was empty save for the Elmin.BCS folder that was there before.

CT

Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You may want to try repairing your installation (you can do this from the stand-alone launcher by clicking on the diamond-like button in the bottom right corner of the window and selecting "Repair Installation". It sounds like some of your files may not have installed properly, which that will solve.
    Aosaw said:

You may want to try repairing your installation (you can do this from the stand-alone launcher by clicking on the diamond-like button in the bottom right corner of the window and selecting "Repair Installation". .

Aosaw: Help, I'm a dummy. What's the , 'stand-alone launcher.'

CT

Hello @CharlestonianTemplar. Sorry your still having so much trouble.

Seeing the portrait of Minsc in your override folder is what I meant to say. If the portrait in that folder is named MINSCM , the dimensions are near 170 x 266 and it is a bitmap, then the Medium Size portrait should show up properly when you hit the R:Record image along the left margin of the game.

One thing which may have worked for me in the past, but I haven't been able to verify, is to try to Copy the MINSCM/S portrait into another folder called Portraits. (It must be the same 'Portraits' folder where you placed the new portrait of your Avatar Behmen since I see he is not one of the standard BG portraits).

The path should be approximately
    OS(C): > Users > My Documents > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition > Portraits.

Now if none of these really works, then my advice may not really apply since I've done all my new portrait work in the BGEE game, while I see in your post that your game is still saved in the Black Isle folder. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, if the game was producing portraits properly until you introduced the special portrait of your Avatar Behmen, it is just possible that it threw things off but it shouldn't have if you introduced it into the Portraits folder.

We may have to ask @Aeden or @Aosaw now to read over this whole thread to figure out what went wrong since they have a good deal of expertise. I'll keep an eye on this thread also.

Aosaw said:

You may want to try repairing your installation (you can do this from the stand-alone launcher by clicking on the diamond-like button in the bottom right corner of the window and selecting "Repair Installation". .

Aosaw: Help, I'm a dummy. What's the , 'stand-alone launcher.'

CT

You can install the game one of two ways if you purchased it from Beamdog.com:

1) you can use the Beamdog client, which is the blue window thing with a list of your Beamdog games. If this is what you used to install the game, let me know;

2) you can use the stand-alone launcher (the Baldur's Gate-themed window you can download from the game's product page).

If you downloaded from Steam that's also a slightly different process.
    No. Pretty sure I downloaded straight from the 'Baldur's Gate-themed window you can download from the game's product page.'
    @CharlestonianTemplar
    It seems that the portraits were messed up in same way. Have you tried to repair your installation? Alternatively, you can uninstall and then install again the game.
    To repair your installation:

There's a red-diamond button in the bottom-right corner of the launcher window. When you click that, you'll see a pair of options, one of which is "Repair Installation". Click that and the launcher will restore your game to the latest patch.
    Dee said:

To repair your installation:

There's a red-diamond button in the bottom-right corner of the launcher window. When you click that, you'll see a pair of options, one of which is "Repair Installation". Click that and the launcher will restore your game to the latest patch.

Found it and did it. Thanks! The first time I looked for it I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. No time to play now but I've been uploading all the patches as they came in, so we'll see. Maybe there was an error in my original download which wouldn't have been picked up by a subsequent, targeted patch.

Thanks. Will let you know what happens.

CT