Skip to content

Importing a character from BG: EE into BG2: EE

Hi,

I’m new to the Baldur’s Gate series and am currently unsure as to how importing a character into BG2: EE will work. I’m aware of some of the story details, so I’m not too bothered about spoilers regarding the ending, although, just to be safe, it might be best to indicate any potential spoilers for the sake of any of my fellow newbies who may view this topic.

My question is this: Does the game create a save for me after the final battle which will then be used for importing into BG2: EE or do I have to manually export my character just before the final battle in BG: EE? If the latter is so, then when exactly is the best time to export my character? I'm playing the PC (non-Steam) version of BG: EE.

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    It will create a final save at the ending. This final save will be found in your characters folder (in my document on pc, not sure about others) when bg2ee comes out simply move it to the bg2 folder and import at character creation. I don't know what version u use, so it could be different on other devices. Bgee characters also don't cause problems with original bg2
  • ProodleProodle Member Posts: 2

It will create a final save at the ending. This final save will be found in your characters folder (in my document on pc, not sure about others) when bg2ee comes out simply move it to the bg2 folder and import at character creation. I don't know what version u use, so it could be different on other devices. Bgee characters also don't cause problems with original bg2

Ah, many thanks! :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Just remember to back up your final save if you start to play again as a newer final save will always overwrite the oldest.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm pretty sure you don't need to move or backup your final save as BG:EE will export the protagonist upon completing the game. So all you'll have to do is retrieve the .CHR file from the Characters folder, place it on the equivalent BG2:EE folder and import it when starting a new game.

Unless this has changed. It's the way it works on the original BG1, though.

It would be nice if BG2:EE had a functionality that allowed you to import characters from an existing BG:EE install without the need to move files around, though.