Skip to content

Probably silly question about order of the journal entries.

Just to be clear, I love what BG:EE did with journal, minor glitches notwithstanding.
But...
Is there a way to display the entries by date?
Right now they arrange themselves in alphabetical order, which is fine in quests/done quests section, but in journal and in user's diary it doesn't make an ounce of sense. I often note down bits and pieces of information, and my latest PC likes to sit down at the end of the day and write about most exciting things that happened recently; having entries arranged by the first letter rather than a date makes it a pain to go back to re-read her musings, or to search for some information I know I wrote down right after clearing the mines, but I don't remember what was the first word exactly.

So, is there some simple way I'm missing to rearrange order of journal entries, or is this something I just have to deal with?

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Unfortunately, there is no way to do so. (I know, it drives me crazy.)
    Syntia13SCARY_WIZARD
  • mzorichmzorich Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    Syntia13 said:

Just to be clear, I love what BG:EE did with journal, minor glitches notwithstanding.
    But...
    Is there a way to display the entries by date?
    Right now they arrange themselves in alphabetical order, which is fine in quests/done quests section, but in journal and in user's diary it doesn't make an ounce of sense. I often note down bits and pieces of information, and my latest PC likes to sit down at the end of the day and write about most exciting things that happened recently; having entries arranged by the first letter rather than a date makes it a pain to go back to re-read her musings, or to search for some information I know I wrote down right after clearing the mines, but I don't remember what was the first word exactly.

So, is there some simple way I'm missing to rearrange order of journal entries, or is this something I just have to deal with?

Maybe implement a numbering system, anytime you add a new journal entry, first type a number to keep them in the proper order. For example:

"0001 - Got attacked by some dude today..."

"0002 - Hooked up with Jaheira tonight..."

etc.

I think this would work?? It won't help with your current playthrough, but something to try for future ones?
    Syntia13SCARY_WIZARD
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Jalily Aww, too bad... :( Thanks for a definite answer though. :)
    @mzorich You know, that's a great idea - and since we can edit our entries, I might be able to actually implement this in the current game (I'm only 5 or 6 days in, so number of entries should be manageable). I think I'll Just start every entry with a date, to keep the diary-ish feel.
    Truly, the simplest solution is sometimes best! :D
  • mzorichmzorich Member Posts: 34
    Syntia13 said:

@Jalily Aww, too bad... :( Thanks for a definite answer though. :)
    @mzorich You know, that's a great idea - and since we can edit our entries, I might be able to actually implement this in the current game (I'm only 5 or 6 days in, so number of entries should be manageable). I think I'll Just start every entry with a date, to keep the diary-ish feel.
    Truly, the simplest solution is sometimes best! :D

Glad to help ;)
    Syntia13
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @mzorich @Jalily
    Hey, it works, and it works great! :) I use a month.day.hour format, so, for example, 01.18.06 means Mirtul the 18th, hour 6 a.m.
    Hopefully I finish the game before a year passes, since that would mess up the system... or not, since there's also division by chapters. Heh, I'm a happy camper now. One needs so little to be happy! ;)
    mzorich