Skip to content

[(BG1/BG2) Inconsistency] Cursed Scroll of Ugliness (SCRL13.ITM) self-targeted (0629)

IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
edited August 2012 in Fixed
Current behaviour: The Cursed Scroll of Ugliness (SCRL13.ITM) is self-targeted only. This is inconsistent with all the other cursed scrolls, which allow the scroll to be targeted at another creature to better give the illusion the scroll is genuine when unidentified. SCRL13's self-targeting, on the other hand, gives it away as a cursed scroll.

Suggested behaviour: The target type attribute of the scroll's ability header should be changed from Self (5) to Creature (1).

Games affected: BG1, BG2 (different issues), BGEE.

Notes: In BG1, the same behaviour is exhibited. In BG2, all cursed scrolls are self-targeted except for SCRL14, SCRL16, and SCRL17.
Post edited by Bhryaen on
AndreaColombo

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Potentially fixed - The Cursed Scroll of Ugliness now gives the illusion of being able to target others
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Self targeting means, instant effect. How would it give away anything before it is too late?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Avenger_teambg

Is it possible to change it so you still get the target cursor, but once you select a target it actually just casts the scroll on self? (I hope I managed to explain that)
    Tanthalas said:

@Avenger_teambg

Is it possible to change it so you still get the target cursor, but once you select a target it actually just casts the scroll on self? (I hope I managed to explain that)

Yes, its possible. But the result is the same in the end.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Yeah, but I think the idea is to make it more difficult to distinguish an unidentified cursed scroll from an unidentified normal scroll.
  • IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
    Tanthalas said:

Yes, that's the fix I've proposed above, and is consistent with all other types of cursed scrolls.

@Avenger_teambg - As Tanthalas touched upon, the idea is bring the cursed scroll in line with its other brethren. With the other cursed scrolls, though their effects are self-targeted, their target types are set to Creature (1) to give the illusion they are genuine protection scrolls (which can be cast upon any creature target). The Cursed Scroll of Ugliness, on the other hand, cannot be targeted in this manner, giving it away as a cursed scroll.
    edited July 2012
    I understood that, but seeing the effect, you will know it is cursed already :)
    And you'll see the effect the moment you used, not before.
    Confirmed fixed. - outside it is targeting, inside it affects self.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Confirmed Fixed:

In-game SCRL13, 14, 16, 17 all allow a target other than (Self) despite applying the effect to (Self). Pretty sneaky, sis...