Skip to content

Pathing

GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
Guys,

Sorry if that has been discussed before, but I just watched the screenies in Beamdog again and a question came up: I remember from the first Baldurs Gate that the partymembers used to block each other's paths. In later D&D computer games that got fixed and the partymembers pushed each other out of the way to get where they were supposed to get.
Do the party members in BG:EE push each other out of the way too or do they block each other?

Comments

• TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Since it's using the BG2 engine, I would assume it would use the BG2 Path Search Nodes options (max 400000) over the BG1 max of 32000.

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Seeing as they are using the Throne of Bhaal style of the Infinity engine, they most probably will push each other out of the way. Which is much better!
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50

Seeing as they are using the Throne of Bhaal style of the Infinity engine, they most probably will push each other out of the way. Which is much better!

I SO agree. I vaguely remember getting upset at my guys and gals always becoming a pile of arms, weapons and the occasional leg without order. *chuckle* I sometimes wondered how they managed not to kill each other all the time ;)

• raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    Gridian said:

I SO agree. I vaguely remember getting upset at my guys and gals always becoming a pile of arms, weapons and the occasional leg without order. *chuckle* I sometimes wondered how they managed not to kill each other all the time ;)

Well those are the type of wounds you see when you rest, somethng like "aaah let's rest here, let me get this armor off, oh look, blood, haha, *fainted*"

• purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Excellent question, Gridian. I had forgotten about how annoying that could get in tight spaces. Good to know that it's most likely been corrected.
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    Now that we live in the 21st century, will the characters require few fractions of a second to "think" about where to go and how after each click? In BG 1&2 they did, a few clicks alone resulted often in seconds of downtime during which your companions just stood still, thinking about their path to the green crosshair.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited August 2012
    Even with the ToB improvements, the pathfinding could use a complete rewrite. Take inspiration of how units move in groups in RTS games, like Age of Empires 2 or Starcraft 2. I believe IE uses a purely individual approach to pathfinding where characters recalculate their path every time they bump into someone else, causing them to lose much time and sometimes re-plan incorrectly. A good pathfinding engine uses group heuristics to ensure characters walk together without hindering each other; see flocking ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocking_(behavior) ) and other common techniques.

Good pathfinding would go a long way towards more realistic behaviors for both NPCs and monsters, less frustration for the player, and better performance.