Skip to content

Soloing with bards in other games

PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
Specifically, I'm attempting a Bard Solo run in Icewind Dale. I have a practice character that I'm using (she's got Presio's dagger from one of my earlier parties and a nest egg of about 2000 gold, that's about it) in order to figure out strategies for the real deal. I think I've nailed down a good strategy for dealing with the Orc Cave in the prologue. It's the Vale of Shadows that has me majorly worried - the only really effective disabling spell for a long while is going to be Web, and I need those Lv. 2 spell slots for Mirror Image.

If only I could afford the Lyre of Progression and the Bardic Horn of Valhalla already...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I used ranged mainly, and just kited enemies to death. Once you start getting your hands on wands, it becomes A LOT easier.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    A solo character with piercing weapons like daggers isn't going to fare very well against all those skeletons.

I like the idea of this challenge though. Perhaps stock up on offensive potions?
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I've seen someone claim to get as far as beating Yxunomei with a bard and clever use of kiting.

Solo Bard in IWD is a lot more viable with Heart of Winter installed, by the way, due to the expanded song selection.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Then they are way better than me. I have difficulty beating Yxumnomei with clever use of clua console.
    I beat Yxunomei after about six tries with a party of four (Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Illusionist); she's not too threatening once you remember that webs stack (and that bows get two attacks per round even on a thief) but you do still need to hold nothing back.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Where is our farmer? He may have some advice on yeti cultivation and the pelt trade.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Pokota said:

I beat Yxunomei after about six tries with a party of four (Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Illusionist); she's not too threatening once you remember that webs stack (and that bows get two attacks per round even on a thief) but you do still need to hold nothing back.

I soloed her with a Fighter/Mage/Thief, but that was about it. :/ The sword that inflicts confusion came into play.
    F/Mu/T gets weapon specialization, which makes her more powerful in Melee than a Bard (theoretically, anyway), but at the cost of basically being three characters.

Which still levels faster than a party of four, but the XP spread always leaves a bad taste in my mouth in the FR setting.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Bards are also stupidly ridiculously OP in Everquest.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited June 2013
    Bards are pretty good in NWN and NWN2, also. I've been playing the new BG Reloaded that uses 3rd edition rules, and I just recruited Garrick. He totally rocks as a 3rd edition bard - he can do all kinds of useful stuff- fight while having an inspiration active, sing songs that reverse spells on party members or stun enemies, cast charisma-based spells in medium armor, and even cast healing spells.

There are also several interesting prestige classes available for bards. I'm playing a cleric right now, but I may want to roll as a bard some time soon.