Skip to content

Please give druids back remove fear

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited April 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Druids in Baldur's Gate 2 and in BGEE do not get remove fear, however they do in Baldur's Gate 1.

Its a nice spell to have. While it is true you can always use a mage's 2nd level resist fear spell that by itself doesn't do you much good against Tarnesh for instance. So if you could please add this spell back for druids that would be amazing. Ohh and rangers should get it eventually as well.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Druids lost more than remove fear I believe. I also think that some of the spells they lost were not meant to be theirs to begin with. Though remove fear is a different situation I think.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    As I recall it was just remove fear. They didn't have a lot to begin with and now they have even less. :(
    In BG2 they also had several other priest spells like Champion Strength and others I forgot. I think the bg2 fixpack removed these spells from their books though.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Is this a spell that druids aren't supposed to have in lore?
    edited April 2013
    Tresset said:

In BG2 they also had several other priest spells like Champion Strength and others I forgot. I think the bg2 fixpack removed these spells from their books though.

I can't access BG2 any time soon, but are you sure about champions strength? I never recall getting it with or without the fixpack.

Its not listed here http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/character/spells/priest/5/ as being a spell druids get. Based on this it does look like druids get some wonky level 5 spells (true sight). Not complaining, just seems more clericy.
    edited April 2013
    Iecerint said:

Is this a spell that druids aren't supposed to have in lore?

Not entirely sure I don't have my D&D rulebooks with me at the moment. If I'd have to guess I'd say no, but I'm sticking to advocating for how it was in the original game.
    I know for certain that Cernd had champion strength at one point during my BG2 career. IIRC it was the NPC druids that got most of the wonky spells. Whatever the case they do not now that I have the fixpack (I don't think so anyway).
    edited April 2013
    Tresset said:

I know for certain that Cernd had champion strength at one point during my BG2 career. IIRC it was the NPC druids that got most of the wonky spells. Whatever the case they do not now that I have the fixpack (I don't think so anyway).

Looks look you are right on Cernd. http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/threads/mage-cleric-cheese-long.15173/ (its mentioned in here)

Hmm...weird. I don't remember it but then again I never really used him that much. I don't remember having it available with my avenger but I'm not in the position right now where I can check.
    Yeah I think that and zone of sweet air were the two spells that Cernd had that he wasn't meant to have. Jaheira may have had a few odd spells too but I never used her really until I got the fixpack.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Viconia casting Holy Smite was always part of my strategies in vanilla BG2. The hard part was making sure she was never under the area of effect so she wouldn't take damage from her own Holy Smiting.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    So, if I understand this discussion correctly, NPC divine spellcaster were not assigned spells correctly and BGEE takes steps to remedy this. Is that correct?

So, if I understand this discussion correctly, NPC divine spellcaster were not assigned spells correctly and BGEE takes steps to remedy this. Is that correct?

Looks like it. I still say give druids remove fear regardless. :D
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Perhaps I was to quick to "agree" to the OP. On the other hand, BGEE is not PnP so there will be differences. The important thing is that druid spells show some differences compared to cleric´s and that the game is consisetnt in how it handles druid spells.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    CamDawg said:

Minsc and Valygar both had empty spell books.

Not in my games. Both Minsc and Valygar had druid spells in my vanilla game.
    CamDawg said:

Divine NPC spellbooks were a mess. Aerie lacked Flame Blade; Anomen lacked Fire Seeds; Cernd had Mental Domination, Champion's Strength, and Zone of Sweet Air; Jaheira had Remove Fear, Zone of Sweet Air, Mental Domination, and Champion's Strength; Viconia knew Holy Smite but lacked Fire Seeds and Flame Blade; Minsc and Valygar both had empty spell books.

Just came back to this thread after having played more of a few of these NPC's and their errr...unique spell options?

The one thing I noticed in your list there (two months late no less) is Isn't fire seeds a druid specific spell to begin with? (based on this http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/character/spells/priest/6/) Also I just made a cleric in BG2 ToB (no fixpack) and it doesn't have it.

Likewise I didn't find that changed with the fixpack.

But yet Anomen does have it (with the fixpack though I assume he'd have it without it)

Aerie and Viconia don't.

Just felt the need to point this out I guess :)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    You're correct, and I misspoke above--Viconia and Anomen should get Fire Seeds removed, not added, as it's a druid-only spell. I'll doublecheck Anomen/Fire Seeds for the Fixpack and verify it's being removed.