Skip to content

Psionics and Demi-Kits

So, I two ideas to offer that may be a bit of a stretch, but here it is anyway: incorporate the Psionicist class and some form of psionic ability, using a rough appropriation of the Psionics rules from 2nd edition. Obviously, the system couldn't be implemented fully, and certain mechanics like telepathic combat would have to be removed completely. And the work of adding in all of the psionic powers as game assets would be an enormous and ridiculously difficult task. Nevertheless, here is how I envision it:

•The Psionicist class is added to the list of main classes. The same requirements as from the 2nd edition rules (non-Chaotic alignment; Con 11 Int 12 Wis 15; Prime req. Con and Wis) are implemented. All races can become psionicists; Halflings and Dwarves can multi-class as Fighter-Psionicists or Thief-Psionicists.
•Psionicists should use their own THAC0, Saving Throw and Experience charts, but they can just as easily be lumped together with Rogues (experience charts aside, they are pretty close to rogues already in saves and THAC0 charts).
•Psionicists select Disciplines and Powers as they rise in level much the same way that wizards and priests select new spells. Psionic powers function essentially like spells, but rely upon two additional mechanics: Power Score checks (which rely on the character's ability scores) and PSPs (which would function like the Sorcerer class' spell uses in implementation). Psionics Power Score checks would effectively be the "to hit" rolls for most powers, and the PSP system would be simplified so that one PSP = one use of a power.
•Psionicists can only use their powers while wearing Leather or Studded Leather armor. (maybe an allowance can be made for them to use powers in Elven Chain)

Idea #2: Demi-kits. These additions would allow demihuman characters to advance as Demi-Paladins, Demi-Rangers and Demi-Bards. Each of the demihuman races can be a Demi-Paladin/Ranger/Bard. To simplify the mechanic, there would just be one single "Demi-Paladin," "Demi-Ranger" and "Demi-Bard" kit. Each Demi-Kit would be either a Fighter (Demi-Paladin and Demi-Ranger) or Thief (Demi-Bard) kit that roughly approximates the abilities of the appropriate class, but without certain key features (like, say, spellcasting). Mazzy Fentan's special abilities might be a good template to use for implementing Demi-Paladins.

•Dwarves: Demi-Paladins, Demi-Rangers and Demi-Bards
•Elves: Demi-Paladins and Demi-Bards
•Gnomes: Demi-Paladins, Demi-Rangers and Demi-Bards
•Half-Elves: Demi-Paladins
•Half-Orcs: Demi-Paladins, Demi-Rangers and Demi-Bards
•Halflings: Demi-Paladins, Demi-Rangers and Demi-Bards

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Please no psionics.
    In any playable form.
    In any iteration of D&D.
    Ever again.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Your request comes about 20 years too late, my friend. :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I believe Psonic class only exist in the Dragon Lance world set, but maybe i'm wrong (maybe dark sun?)
    kamuizin said:

I believe Psonic class only exist in the Dragon Lance world set, but maybe i'm wrong (maybe dark sun?)

lol... This may be true or not depending on how far back your knowledge of D&D goes. Psionics have been an optional part of all campaign worlds for many years.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited January 2013
    I think everyone is misunderstanding the point! I find this an incredible opportunity and one that shouldn't be squandered. This actually looks to be one of the most original feature requests I've seen on the forum so far because my knowledge of d&d is limited, and in a sense, my ideas are limited in relation to feature request.

Adding new classes that are unique is *exactly* what we need. This class sounds very interesting. In fact, I'm all for both sides of the idea: the new class and demi-classes. The implementation of *any* ideas is something I sincerely believe would suck people in to buy Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, and guys, that's what we need!

For instance, you could add a "demi-paladin" (Blackguard), or the developers could add something that eliminates the possibility of someone saying, "I can buy this edition on GOG and have the same experience? Then obviously I will."

I think you could argue the above point in any number of ways but remember it goes both ways! People will buy the enhanced edition, or they will not. If the ideas go a bit farther than an actual mod and the content is balanced, perhaps more people will purchase the game. But we'll never see the light of day of "Baldur's Gate: Next" unless some real game altering content is added.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @kamuizin Certainly Darksun, not Dragonlance. Depending on the Age you play there aren't even clerics in Dragonlance. In Darksun Psionics were discovered first and magic later. Defiler magic is actually responsible for the state the planet is as it destroyed most life in the planet.
    1130210 said:

I think everyone is misunderstanding the point! I find this an incredible opportunity and one that shouldn't be squandered. This actually looks to be one of the most original feature requests I've seen on the forum so far because my knowledge of d&d is limited, and in a sense, my ideas are limited in relation to feature request.

Adding new classes that are unique is *exactly* what we need. This class sounds very interesting. In fact, I'm all for both sides of the idea: the new class and demi-classes. The implementation of *any* ideas is something I sincerely believe would suck people in to buy Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, and guys, that's what we need!

For instance, you could add a "demi-paladin" (Blackguard), or the developers could add something that eliminates the possibility of someone saying, "I can buy this edition on GOG and have the same experience? Then obviously I will."

I think you could argue the above point in any number of ways but remember it goes both ways! People will buy the enhanced edition, or they will not. If the ideas go a bit farther than an actual mod and the content is balanced, perhaps more people will purchase the game. But we'll never see the light of day of "Baldur's Gate: Next" unless some real game altering content is added.

This is a really fine point you're making. And in fact I believe that this may have been what the original developers of BG2 had in mind when they released the second game with its new features (the Half-Orc race, the kits and the three new classes: Monk, Sorcerer, Barbarian). Much of what's been added to BGEE has been done with something similar in mind, but IMO it hasn't been enough.
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    I loved Dark Sun and I'd really like to see psionics as a playable option. Demi-classes are bit trickier due to possible contractual obligations and the like with Wizards, but I don't see why there'd be an issue porting over AD&D psionics.
    Objulen said:

I loved Dark Sun and I'd really like to see psionics as a playable option. Demi-classes are bit trickier due to possible contractual obligations and the like with Wizards, but I don't see why there'd be an issue porting over AD&D psionics.

I'm not familiar with why there'd be an issue?... What would be the problem with demi-classes?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2013
    It's a pretty major change to add psionic resistance or abilities to every creature in the game. Arcane and Divine Magic (including priest and druid variances) are already in there and all items, text and creatures are balanced with knowledge of these things existing (ymmv on "balanced").

This would add a third pillar alongside those two.
    And yet there's a mod that does just that, including mechanics to resist and dispel psionics.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2013
    mlnevese said:

And yet there's a mod that does just that, including mechanics to resist and dispel psionics.

Indeed I linked it a few posts before. But a mod is not an official implementation into the game's canon

• 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381

It's a pretty major change to add psionic resistance or abilities to every creature in the game. Arcane and Divine Magic (including priest and druid variances) are already in there and all items, text and creatures are balanced with knowledge of these things existing (ymmv on "balanced").

You're absolutely right. However, I personally don't know much about what edition of AD&D has what and what not, but to add a whole new pillar to gameplay would be phenomenal! In addition, I understand what is being said that it may just *not* be possible. But who knows because there is a mod of some sort.

Baldur's Gate II is a lot of people's favorite game of the series, me included. But I'd really like to see something like this to see if Beamdog is cut out to *actually* make an AD&D game. And perhaps something as game-altering as this is the way to go.

What's your opinion? @smeagolheart

mlnevese said:

Indeed I linked it a few posts before. But a mod is not an official implementation into the game's canon

Yeap. I was just commenting it's not impossible to do :). The mod had to use a lot of workarounds to implement the power points system. Access to the source code would make psionics implementation much cleaner.

lol "Arcane" and "Divine" magic. It's actually not as complex as you are making it out to be. There is, functionally, no difference between wizard and priest magic where it comes to resistance. Likewise, there's nothing that would have to change in order to account for psionic resistance, since it's all about saving throws and the only applicable adjustment would be the MDF modifier under Wisdom.

The only creatures that would need modifying are the Mind Flayers and the Githyanki, and they may not need modification at all. In fact, their spell-like powers could actually be used as the template for creating the psionicist's abilities. If there really was a need for more psionic monsters, you could add a new Mind Flayer or Githyanki variant with some of the psionicist's new powers, or even enemy psionicist NPCs to some encounters. No existing creatures apart from those in the illithid/githyanki families would even need to be touched, since there aren't any other monsters with psionics in the game.

In effect, this does not add a "third pillar." It adds a new flavor of caster -- just like it does in 2nd edition AD&D. Mechanically, nothing else would have to change.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Actually more creatures would need change depending on the rules on psionics that was adopted. In PnP Psionics could work two ways. Either it was seen as another kind of magic and Magic Resistance applied or Psionics was not magic at all and MR creatures could have no resistance at all against psionics, while others could be more resistant to psionics than to magic.

The same applies to the interaction between magic and psionics. If the first rule is used, interaction is normal. If the second rule is used then the effects are specific for each spell. Some protection spells do not affect psionic powers at all, dispel magic does nothing against a psi power, etc.

In PnP my group always went with the 2nd rule, mainly if playing in Darksun. For. A computer game, mainly one that is already developed,, I'd say that the 1st variant is simpler to implement and requires less change.
    mlnevese said:

Actually more creatures would need change depending on the rules on psionics that was adopted. In PnP Psionics could work two ways. Either it was seen as another kind of magic and Magic Resistance applied or Psionics was not magic at all and MR creatures could have no resistance at all against psionics, while others could be more resistant to psionics than to magic.

The same applies to the interaction between magic and psionics. If the first rule is used, interaction is normal. If the second rule is used then the effects are specific for each spell. Some protection spells do not affect psionic powers at all, dispel magic does nothing against a psi power, etc.

In PnP my group always went with the 2nd rule, mainly if playing in Darksun. For. A computer game, mainly one that is already developed,, I'd say that the 1st variant is simpler to implement and requires less change.

But what you're not getting is that this isn't a problem at all, precisely because the Psionicist class I proposed is based on the 2nd edition Psionicist. So introducing a Psionicist into the BG rules after-the-fact is precisely analogous to introducing the Psionicist to the 2nd edition AD&D rules as they already existed.

Magic resistance would not apply, because it's not magic. As I said in my earlier post, the only resistance mechanic you need are the existing saving throws, with the Wisdom-based Magic Defense Adjustment modifier applicable (yes, I know that it's not magic, but as explained in the 2nd edition PHB, MDA generally is useful to the character against mind-affecting spells, so it follows that this adjustment applies to most psionics as well). What this means is that *all* of the monsters, NPCs and characters are able to interact with psionics using nothing more than the saving throws they already possess. No major change or brand-new stat needs be devised.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about how BG and BG2 are programmed (because I am so not a programmer) but I do know two things:
    •First, there *are* spells already in existence which either bypass or ignore MR. I can't think of any at the moment, but I know they exist. Assuming my memory is correct on this point, there should be a "flag" that can be set for all psionic powers (assuming that, within the game's programming, psionic powers are written in and handled just like spells) to ignore MR.
    •Second, there are many spells which spells like Dispel Magic don't have an effect on. Which, again, means there's another flag for that.

Another thought: the architecture that could be used to integrate psionics could be built off of the High Level Abilities system used in BG2x. Many, if not most of those abilities are non-magical, and thus ignore things like MR and Dispel Magic. The only change would be that they're available earlier to the Psionicist class, and are the basis of the Psionicist class' abilities.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Raising this old thread lemme give my 2 cents on this:

No demi-kits, i really disliked the idea, in fact Bard and ranger shoudn't be locked to specific classes only. Ok that a dwarven druid can be a bit crazy (and still exist one) but the block of an option for a class should be an exception, not an rule.

About the psonics, i found a bit time ago that they're in Forgotten Realms already (in Faerûn itself). the 3° house of Menzoberranzan, House Oblodra, is a family of Psonics, the entire house is made of psonics.
    So even if they're uncommon, it's still a valid class to pursue. Dragon Disciple isn't something too common and it's an option for class.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2013
    It's Faerun as well. Duergar are all innately psionic, as are githyanki and zerai. And Mind Flayers are some of the most potently gifted psionicist in existence. So much so, most of their psionic powers are innate and free.

In Faerun, it uses the hybrid rule. Magic resistance works against psionics, since it protects the creature from outside non-physical forces being used directly against them, but that's it. Anti-magic fields, dispels, wild/dead magic zones, spell protections etc..don't work, since they involve directly manipulating or the lack thereof of the weave, which psionics has nothing to do with. Unless specifically stated otherwise, creatures are assumed to have just as much resistance to psionics as their Magic resistance.

According to complete Bard, a dwarf could be a Fighter/Skald (also a Fighter/Chanter, the dwarf only bard kit). The rest don't work though since their respective racial bard kit isn't included.

But there's one big rule for that. Halfling and Dwarven bards do not EVER get to cast spells, nor can they use wands or scrolls. Any spells they "learn" they get a +4 bonus to saves against, and that's it. On the other hand, they have no maximum known spell limit, so they can eventually learn all spells, including spells all the way up to 9th, since they aren't actually casting them, just learning how they work.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    yes to this