Skip to content

Bhaal - Heard a rumour...

2»

Comments

• Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Just sounds like a cop-out to me. Like they can't be bothered to try and think of something new, so they just rip off the fans with a reboot. Screw them!
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

Just sounds like a cop-out to me. Like they can't be bothered to try and think of something new, so they just rip off the fans with a reboot. Screw them!

I'd agree with you but for one major point: ever since 4e came out quite a few fans have been screaming for a reboot. This isn't a screw you, it's a mea culpa.
    In that case, I don't know who's worse, they or the majority of fans.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Problem with nerdy fans is; they never want change.

Look at comic books, some super heroes have been around for 50-60 years but every time they evolve in a meaningful way, the fans are outraged and it needs to be retconned.
    Any sequel of a video game that strays from the original more than a little gets blasted, unless it's exceptionally done (if you were around when the first screenshots of Zelda: Legend of the Wind Waker were released, you'll know what I mean).
    Likewise, 4th Edition changed a lot of things and thus it was automaticly horrible. Granted, some (to me, most things) things were (Helm/Tyr anyone?) but the simple fact that stuff changed caused the biggest curfuffle.

I don't mind a reboot. The gods are familiar and work well within the setting and it might gloss over the ridiculous decisions (killing mystra again, really?) from the past. I do, however, hope they don't just copy/paste the old stuff but refine and retune a bit to make it feel fresh.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    FR make easy those kind of changes, it's just needed to say:

"...then AO got pissed off, took the Tablet of Fate, rewrite all that shit, thus... 5° edit was born!"
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited June 2013
    They killed the gods because they wanted to simplify the pantheon. They thought it would make dnd more appealing to new players. After the uproar over 4th ed., they may bring some of them back, but i doubt they will restore the whole pantheon.

As far as Mystra is concerned:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystra_(Forgotten_Realms)#Fourth_Incarnation
    http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/12/dd-encounters-war-of-everlasting-darkness-week-8/
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/news/20121012

In other words, she seems to have reappeared in the next edition playtesting materials. It seems "official" so I wonder why word hasn't gotten around yet.
    i made a check in the wizard link, which lead me to the actual novel list of WotC and i have to say... Man i can't stand more Drow adventures!! Be they enemies or allies, it's begining to fuck the patience!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I just hope they do away with "Realms shaking events" that caused a lot of that crap to begin with. The reason why 3e and 4e came about was because a lot of players couldn't handle not being the most powerful people in the world. The existence of characters like Elminster and the Seven Sisters was threatening to them in a way. i.e. "if these characters exist, why aren't they taking care of this problem that I am adventuring to fix? Why do I have to do this if they could wave their hand and take care of it?" seemed to be what a lot of players expressed. But hey, you know, what makes you think that they aren't taking care of stuff that you couldn't handle, and trusting that someone would step in to handle the littler stuff or perhaps they set the events in motion that put you in place to become aware of it and take care of it? But that apparently didn't satisfy players- they wanted to be the biggest, most important badasses on Faerun, because they couldn't conceive that- maybe the stuff they are doing isn't the most important thing happening at the moment.
    I would like to see an multiverse novel, not that i have notice of any in fact. Some planar walk adventure would fit well into a novel.

About the OP, i believe probally that the events in Baldur's Gate saga will/possible become official in some way, with the Main Char opening hand of the divinity essence of Bhaal in the end. That would make easier to revive Bhaal. AO probally isn't happy with an abandoned portfolio, and that can be a pretty reasonable motivation to revive Bhaal (no one took the essence and someone must work that portfolio).

Cyric can complain maybe, but then, isn't as AO would care much to what Cyric think.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Well, there's also Bhaal's essence that just so happened to gush into a river on his death. I always wondered what happened to that story on the creation of the Bhaalspawn....

It was supposed to be what kept him alive - a bit like that crown Myrkul hides in, or Iachtu Xim for Bane.
    For me Jergal could simply arise, kick kelemvor from his throne, seize Bhaal, Bane and Myrkul powers (in fact his power in origin) and become again the lord of the end of everything, simple as that!
    Jergal got bored. Why would he want to take back what he willingly left?
    Because he's not bored anymore?
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Jergal also lost most of his power when he gave up his domains. He no longer has the followers in which to drive him to the heights he once held. He would be what you call a 'forgotten diety' now. Something similar to what the dead three killed in order to gain a divine spark. He would have a considerable lack of power and more than likely not be able to face Bane and Cyric - who would not give up their powers without a fight.