Skip to content

Bhaal - Heard a rumour...

EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
I don't know if anybody frequents the WoTC forums, but there has been a rumour that by 5E Forgotten Realms, all dead gods will be resurrected by Ao in order to retain balance.

This rumour has strongly fueled the notion that Bhaal will be returning once again. I don't know about you guys but I am a quite enthusiastic by this. It will be interesting to say the least! Assassination is a minor portfolio and is still left unclaimed...

What do you guys think?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited June 2013
    I remember this thing happening in comics - the avengers die, then they reborn . Aunt May dies, then they find out she was alive.... if not done properly, it sounds like they're too lazy to create new interesting stories.

• EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @DJKajura - Agreed! Like I said: Will be interesting none-the-less! I wonder how it will work. I can see another war breaking out between the gods.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited June 2013
    You might even say that...

Ao SAW it coming. Eh? Eh?

EDIT: Slightly less tangential--it should be interesting to see what happens. They're definitely going "back to basics" with 5e, so it's nice to see them returning to what made the system great, even with regard to the specific settings.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I'd love for such a thing to happen... Mystra being dead = sadface to me :(
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    So in other words, my prediction that AO is basically hitting the reset button to more or less erase the 4th edition-based storylines from existence is actually pretty close to true?.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    4th edition? All I can remember about that is a headache and disappointment.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Which Mystra will be reborn? The original, or Midnight Mystra? Also I would like to see Cyric getting a punishment he deserves. He is throughly despicable.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    that looks like just another "Restart". Comic books do that sometimes too. When the writers run dry.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727

I wonder how it will work. I can see another war breaking out between the gods.

So... uhh... it starts when mum and daddy love each other lots...
  • CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    @Southpaw I think the restart in this particular case in in relation to the overwhelmingly negative response to 4e., rather than the writers running dry. I mean, ideas are often the only thing that creators have in abundance, time and money being the main constraints. Besides, there is a huge 'back to the past' movement going on recently. A lot of old movies, personalities and games have become 'cool' again, and the amount of homages to classics is higher than we have ever witnessed. People are dissatisfied with the present and look to the past for consolation, which I think is pretty ironic seeing as people 30, 40 years ago did nothing but try and peek into the future, giddy about what's around the corner.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Czarny - maybe you're right. Have we became so melodramatic?
    I hope they're careful. I mean whereas I agree they have gone a bit far in some aspects, they will lose a lot of continuity in the rich history of FR.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Czarny said:

I think is pretty ironic seeing as people 30, 40 years ago did nothing but try and peek into the future, giddy about what's around the corner.

We peeked, we saw, we left.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Personally, I think they should create a new game called D&D classic, which abandons the changes made in 4th ed and starts off in the universe after 2nd ed with parts of 3rd ed lore incorperated.

Then they could continue with D&D 5th ed as something building off of 4th ed and its fan base, but at the same time, not abandon the old school fans who didn't much like the most recent edition
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I certainly hope this comes to pass, so many dead powers never should have been killed off. At the very least they should have just been demoted in power level, sealed away or bound to serve higher powers. The big names like the popular Helm are probably a lock, but I hope the more niche ones don't get overlooked like Savras. It was always fun having gods with overlapping responsibilities rather than having one god become the dominant force of a portfolio.

That said there are some gods that should stay dead like those from the Mulhorandi pantheon.

It wouldn't be too hard to reintroduce some of the dead powers back into the realms. Many of them have portions of their essence lingering about either within the Astral or Material plane. For example Myrkul has some of his essence within the Crown of Horns and Velsharoon has a corpse. As for the other gods, some of them already have prophecies detailing their resurrection. So most of the dead powers were never truly removed from play, all they need is an event that is the reverse of the Time of Troubles. But this time it probably won't be as bold a move as turning all but Helm mortal. All that would have to be done is have Ao kickstart the dead powers' resurrection prophecies.

I can understand the hesitations that hitting reset on several deaths might be a bridge too far, but it wouldn't be the most controversial thing d&d has done. I just hope that they don't decide to balance things out by killing off some of the current gods to make room for the old.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well... If Bhaal himself comes back to life... I do suppose that could make room for plots for Baldur's Gate 3... If players are willing to throw away the possible endings of Throne of Bhaal...
    @Kaltzor - perhaps a plot similar to KOTOR. You're walking about, adventuring, killing stuff - you know. Then right at the end you find out: 'OMG I'm the lord of murder reincarnate!'
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Ooooh, this might indeed be an interesting turn for a third Baldur's Gate game! Daddy against son! Almighty powers clash! IT'S OVER 9000!!!!! 8D
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Bhaal vs. Bhaal: TNG.

Would you play the protagonist as Bhaal then? Can't have an RPG where you defend your turf against up and coming whippersnappers. You have to start out at Level 1 killing rats or goblins and work your way up. You can't start at the top level of power and beat all the underlings that try to go against you.
    @smeagolheart - The dead three part 2?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

@smeagolheart - The dead three part 2?

@EntropyXII

That's not an RPG, it's a story.. I'm talking RPG mechanics...

Imagine starting baldur's gate at level 30 and sitting around in your palace of murder. Elsewhere a handsome young reincarnated god of murder is born. He grinds rats and bats and returns old ladies rings until he reaches sufficient level to shows up to give you what for and regain the throne of bhaal. Doesn't sound like you'd have much questing to do while you wait.

edited June 2013
    @smeagolheart - I was having a little joke about a part of the 'dead three' story.

The bit that says: Bhaal, Bane and Myrkul traveled Faerun and undertook thousands of adventures and fought powerful beasts until they found a dead god blah blah...

Am I the only one that imagines the 'dead three' being asked to clear out a warehouse of rats, or fetch somebodies amulet from a goblin? They must have been level one at some point right? no?

Must just be me then =)
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    One does not simply try to free the cursed false gods.
    Unless Dagoth Ur, of course.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Kaltzor said:

Well... If Bhaal himself comes back to life... I do suppose that could make room for plots for Baldur's Gate 3... If players are willing to throw away the possible endings of Throne of Bhaal...

In a way, we already have to. I was on the Forgotten Realms Wiki the other day and realized, the Spellplague hit only 26 years after the events of Throne of Bhaal. Any and all of the happy endings, or the less-than-totally-depressing endings are null and void, as all of the spell casters (Aerie, Imoen, Jan, Nalia etc.) would have either been killed outright or driven stark raving mad. Any heroic NPCs would presumably end their days trying to help people through more than 100 years of chaos, likly never seeing the end of it themselves, while Evil NPCs would still find them selves in a new, highly hostile world.
    Hell, the only endings that was not rewritten by 4e were Cernd's and Keldorn's, and that's only because they had the good sense to die before the Spellplague hit.

Yeah, it's pretty #$%&ing bleak.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    What will be of the new gods? The mortal people whom had ascend to godhood?

Will Cyric be undone then? Torm?

By the way Bhaal isn't an original god, he was mortal in fact, as Bane and Myrkul were before, and they got their divine essence by splitting Jergal's power when they usurped him (all because Jergal was into a good mood that day, otherwise he would squash the tree. would be squashed tree instead dead tree).
    @kamuizin - All Forgotten Realms gods began as mortals. Apart from Ao of course.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

@kamuizin - All Forgotten Realms gods began as mortals. Apart from Ao of course.

Except, for example, Shar and Selune, who were made by Ao as the Moon and the Night. Mystra was born from the magical warfare they waged on eachother. I'm guessing there's a few more like that around actually.

I'm really curious about 5th Edition, I really get the feeling they know they fucked up and killing off/demoting 70% of the gods was a mistake.
    The gods are dead! Long live the gods!
    edited June 2013
    @Drugar - I thought Mystra was Midnight who ascended to god-hood in the time of troubles? I know there was a previous Mystra, but I am unsure myself if I know much about her. 1st ed? was she a mortal?

I stand corrected with Selune and Shar - I tend to forget about those two. Not that I don't like them, just that my characters have never worshiped them.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Yes, you're right, I meant Mystryl, the original goddess of magic (who died and became Mystra, who died and made Midnight Mystra MkII, who died and stayed dead. It's a crappy job)
    @Drugar - aha, see my edit. Posted it just before you replied! Thanks for clearing that up for me.