Skip to content

Weapon Breaking

KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
Is there any mod that would modify the probability of weaponry breaking? As sometimes the RNG just loves to be an ass with it... I can't remember how many times I've broken a two handed sword on Shank in Candlekeep...

Comments

• Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    it's usually the rats that get me -.-
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited June 2013
    Not that I know of, but it should be a simple change. Right now, the probability is 2% per hit. What would you like it to be?
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    0% :D

Weapon breaking is just an annoyance and doesn't add any challenge other than overcoming your annoyance with it, really?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Weapon breaking is a sign of the iron crisis though. How bad quality weapons reached Winthrop in the most friggin' protected and clean inn in the sword coast goes beyond me though...
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    It doesn't feel like 1%... If it actually is, then it truly is the RNG just messing up things... The iron crisis causing weapons to break kind of adds to the game... But I've had fighters go through 4 weapons before reaching the bottom floor of Nashkel Mines...
    Malicron
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    A mod that replaces weapon breaking with weapon damaging would be interesting. Perhaps a -2 thac0 penalty until you repair it at a smithy?
    Grammarsalad
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    edited June 2013
    It feels like Mincs goes out of his way to break his swords. And ogre berserkers go out of their way to break their swords on me...

It'd be funny if the chance to break goes up based on the strength score of the user.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Kaltzor said:

It doesn't feel like 1%...

It's 2%. My bad.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    My cool fighter/thief dual wields long swords and gets 2,5 attacks/round with them. He broke A LOT OF swords just in the beginning, he had gone through 5-6 swords even before we were in Nashkel, it became so annoying I bought the longsword+1 from Beregost as soon as we got there. But it's no surprise, he has more attacks/round than everybody else so he will break his weapon more often.

He also has 17 str, I always thought high str characters tend to break swords a lot more often:Minsc too breaks his two hander very often in my games. Good thing Flinds drop them.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Buy a regular throwing axe--you can switch them to melee and there is no chance of them breaking.
    TJ_Hooker
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Keep Hull's Long Sword or Perdue's Short Sword - I don't think any named items break.
    Alas, sadly both of those items also have a 1% chance to break every time you use them. *shrug* It is what it is.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I can't remember. Is there any in-game justification for why armor doesn't break, but weapons do?
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I've never seen armor break, but I have a vague memory of spawning in a "broken armor" item once while screwing around with the console. It might be they planed on it, but never implemented armor breaking. Considering the price of armor compared to weapons, I can see why they'd reconsider.
    I suppose armor breaking could be implemented by applying effect 232 "cast spell on condition" with parameter target "the caster" and condition "on hit" to have a spell replace armor with the Broken Armor item. Recode only the metal armors with this, of course. Shouldn't nonmagical shields have this, as well? A lot of people would be upset to end a battle with a broken sword, broken shield, and broken armor, though. The leather goods merchants would appreciate it but the local rangers and druids might get upset at the overculling of ankhegs for plate mail.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    iirc then there is a mod for the original that adds armor breaking. Can't remember on top of my head which one. Probably one of the tweak or fix -packs.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Freche said:

iirc then there is a mod for the original that adds armor breaking. Can't remember on top of my head which one. Probably one of the tweak or fix -packs.

It's BG2 Tweaks. It doesn't mess with shields, though, since those are (primarily) wood.
    [Deleted User]
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I usually have Kivan dual wield scimitars, and for some reason it's always his off-hand weapon that breaks.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Malicron said:

I've never seen armor break, but I have a vague memory of spawning in a "broken armor" item once while screwing around with the console. It might be they planed on it, but never implemented armor breaking. Considering the price of armor compared to weapons, I can see why they'd reconsider.

Isn't there a broken armor thats involved with the quest in the firewine ruins?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking ancient armor.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    elminster said:

Isn't there a broken armor thats involved with the quest in the firewine ruins?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm thinking ancient armor.

It's entirely possible I am too; this was years ago, before BGII was released, I think.