Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights?

Dale_DDale_D Member Posts: 6
Anyone know if Beamdog is planning on updating Neverwinter Nights like they did BG? I would really like to see an update for it (for Mac OS X 10.8.x).

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    They would have to get the rights to it first. As far as I know it is still owned by Bioware.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The world would rejoice if they could bring the ugly character graphics to the 21st century. That alone killed my joy of that game when it first came out.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'm pretty sure they would be well equipped to do this since trent was the lead designer originally.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    The original Aurora engine classic. I never actually played the original campaigns but I had much fun building adventures for my players and then bringing the world alive as a DM.
    NWN updated and revamped would be a welcome sight. Though rather unlikely, at least for now. Let Beamdog concentrate on what they're doing now and decide what to do next when they're done with it.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    NWN is still raking in money from what I know - a lot of people apparently still play multi-player. I'm not 100% sure it would be possible to take the rights for this one.
    Ah, I miss this game also. Had my own persistent world at one point. 'Dealelands' based off the Forgotten Realms area.

Good times.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    edited May 2013
    I'd think, what with them having fixed up the Infinity Engine already, Beamdog would want to concentrate on Icewind Dale and Torment first. Besides, I was never really taken with the first Neverwinter Nights.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    If NWN1 is enhanced then it would be a good news indeed.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

The world would rejoice if they could bring the ugly character graphics to the 21st century. That alone killed my joy of that game when it first came out.

How ironic that NWN2 has actually made them worse!
    If NWN could have a graphic overhaul something akin to what modders have done to morrowind then that would be great news indeed.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I never thought there was anything wrong with NWN's graphics...
    At the time, absolutely not, but they are pretty dated now.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Well, I actually like nwn's graphics because of the versatility - if you want a new graphic , just create new layers and skins and voila.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited May 2013
    I remember when I first started playing Bioware's D&D games. I think by that time NWN was at least a couple years old, so the graphics of the games were all fairly dated by then. I actually had no problem adjusting to IE graphics, and thought the games looked fairly nice, but I remember starting up NWN and thinking it looked like crap, despite being several years newer. 3D graphics just don't age as well it seems.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The Neverwinter Nights I remember was on AOL, and came out shortly after the Gold Box games. In fact, I am sure that I can find Ads for it in my old Dragon Magazines.
  • Dale_DDale_D Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2013
    Unfortunately for me, I have a Macbook Pro with a retina display and Windows 7 Bootcamped on a 46Gb partition, and NWN doesn't display properly... Something is wrong with how the display is handled. NWN comes up in a tiny square in the middle of the screen and is practically unreadable. I was able to create a character and get into game (which DID display much better) but was also pretty much unreadable. Nothing I did with the settings, either in game or with the display settings, worked.

I was hoping to be able to run it on the Win7 side and play multiplayer LAN with my wife and son again (we used to play it together a long time ago).

I've also been considering a good old paper campaign using teamspeak or Skype.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    That's pretty odd......normally when something like that happens, it's because the laptop screen doesn't support scaling and your screen size is different then what the game supports, but there's resolution options to easily match almost any native resolution, standard or wide screen.