Skip to content

BG1:EE network play

BoradordinBoradordin Member Posts: 38
So here goes...

I bought BG1: EE and want to play with multiple players on my home network. I have multiple copies of the 5-disk and Tales of the Sword Coast game.

Can I play my BG1: EE inviting networked players to join using my old-style CDs? And believe it or not the better half wants to play after all these years. I reckon she's tired of Candy Crush Crap.

Cordially,
'Ol Bearded Menace

Comments

• ValdemarValdemar Member Posts: 41
    You can only play BG1:EE with people who also own a copy of BG1:EE. You cannot play BG1:EE with someone who uses the original BG1 so no. Additionally, you both cannot use the same copy of BG1:EE to play with her. She, and the other network players in addition to you, would have their own individual copy of BG1:EE
  • BoradordinBoradordin Member Posts: 38
    Thanks kindly Valdemar for the explanation of BG1:EE and the original. As regards the original, my daughter and I used to play with the 6-disc setup (BG1 + ToC) on our VPN. Until I bought an additional copy we did it by hot-swapping. Yeah, copyrights and all that — I had an original still shrink-wrapped copy I refused to open.

Let me ask you one more thing. And if you don't know the answer no problem, maybe one of the moderators will see it.

I build a new or upgrade my computer(s) every year or two. Of course that means I start with a fresh install of Windows. Just now I'm running Win 7 64 Pro. Do we know how many hassles I'm going to have getting BG1:EE installed. If I had a CD with BG1:EE on it, no problem. But since 'tis now a digital download I might be in the dragon's mouth to get it onto the new system.

Cordially,
    'Ol Bearded Menace
    So... let me ask you this.

I bought BG1:EE from this site. I support those who really do the work, not some money-grubber "hooked" in with some firm still milking it. I'm funny that way.

I noticed in the Ah Crap We're Screwed! thread wherein I can't buy BG1:EE from here. Someone in that thread commented that it could still be bought at Steam.Com. That begs the question: Is Steam's version different than mine? Obviously, since I am no longer getting updates from here, my version and any I buy from Steam might not like each other.

Any thoughts?

Cordially,
    'Ol Bearded Menace
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Valdemar said:

Additionally, you both cannot use the same copy of BG1:EE to play with her. She, and the other network players in addition to you, would have their own individual copy of BG1:EE

I'm actually almost positive that you can play multiplayer with other people using the same copy of BG:EE as you. I mean, obviously Overhaul would prefer it if everyone got their own copy, but I don't think there's anything preventing it.

I build a new or upgrade my computer(s) every year or two. Of course that means I start with a fresh install of Windows. Just now I'm running Win 7 64 Pro. Do we know how many hassles I'm going to have getting BG1:EE installed. If I had a CD with BG1:EE on it, no problem. But since 'tis now a digital download I might be in the dragon's mouth to get it onto the new system.

It shouldn't be a problem installing it on a new computer.

I noticed in the Ah Crap We're Screwed! thread wherein I can't buy BG1:EE from here. Someone in that thread commented that it could still be bought at Steam.Com. That begs the question: Is Steam's version different than mine? Obviously, since I am no longer getting updates from here, my version and any I buy from Steam might not like each other.

Any thoughts?

I think the biggest difference is that there is a delay between when Overhaul releases a patch (which Beamdog buyers get right away) and when the patch is available through Steam. Because the last patch was released a while ago, I think both versions are the same right now, but there will be times where Steam is a version behind, which I imagine would affect the ability to play multiplayer.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Valdemar said:

Additionally, you both cannot use the same copy of BG1:EE to play with her. She, and the other network players in addition to you, would have their own individual copy of BG1:EE

TJ_Hooker said:

I'm actually almost positive that you can play multiplayer with other people using the same copy of BG:EE as you. I mean, obviously Overhaul would prefer it if everyone got their own copy, but I don't think there's anything preventing it.

As I said earlier I used to play the 6-disk set of BG1 + ToC on two computers on my network. But, I had two licensed copies with one still in the shrink-wrap. I like to keep it clean.

TJ_Hooker said:

It shouldn't be a problem installing it on a new computer.

Yeah, but where in Sam's Hill is the original file I downloaded? I'll have do a computer search. That'll be loads of fun.

Thanks for the help folks—'tis much appreciated. And by the way, and this is off thread—does this forum permit signatures? I also wanted to post a link to my fan site within my signature. Yeah, it is out of date as there are never 'nough hours, but I like it.

For that matter, and I've used BBS forums for years now, how the heck does this forum's BBS get incoded?

Cordially,
    'Ol Bearded Menace
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013

Yeah, but where in Sam's Hill is the original file I downloaded? I'll have do a computer search. That'll be loads of fun.

Well you can always just download the game from Beamdog again when you get a new computer. Alternatively, I remember reading that the installation itself is portable. So I think that means you can just copy and paste your entire "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" folder from your installation directory, and the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder from My Documents onto the new computer.

P.S. This forum doesn't have signatures, at least as far as I can tell. I've never seen one anyways.
    Thanks TJ,

Now, as the saying goes, "Into the Fray Yet Once Again Dear Friends."

Cordially,
    'Ol Bearded Menace