Skip to content

TV/Movie/Game quotes that give you goosebumps *Possible Spoilers*

EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
Mine has to be:

"I am not going there to die. I am going to find out if i'm really alive..." - Spike Spiegel

EDIT: Added a spoiler tag to the title... just in case.
Post edited by EntropyXII on

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Spoiler for Game of Thrones season 3, episode 4;

I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria. Valyrian is my mother tongue. Unsullied! Slay the masters, slay the soldiers, slay every man who holds a whip, but harm no child. Strike the chains of every slave you see!

I got all giddy.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    I did as well. Great choice!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited June 2013
    "I forgive you." - G'Kar to Mollari in Babylon 5 season 5, before Mollari's coronation. The entire conversation is goosebumpy (G'Kar: "My people may never forgive yours..."), but that's the one scene/line on TV that ever made me cry. I'm a sucker for political drama.

Earlier in B5, G'Kar to Vir Cotto, after cutting his hand and counting the blood drops with "dead, dead, dead... How can you 'be sorry' for that?" (After Vir genuinely said he is sorry for the genocide his people committed on G'Kar's.)

Not a quote, but a scene (there are lines, but that's not the reason for goosebumps) is the B5 battle for Earth, when Sheridan decides to make a suicide run for the defense platform to save Earth, and is saved last minute himself by his (deserting) friend. In a similar way, in Deep Space Nine / season 7, when the Cardassian ships turn against the Dominion/Breen fleet when they hear about the massacre of Lakarian City.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Revenge is a dish best served cold - wrath of khan
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Ok, this is a book quote, but I couldn't resist:

"Lan told me once that Malkier lives so long as one man wears the hadori in pledge that he will fight the Shadow, so long as one woman wears the ki'sain in pledge that she will send her sons to fight the Shadow. I wear the ki'sain, Master Aldragoran. My husband wears the hadori. So do you. Will Lan Mandragoran ride to the Last Battle alone?" - Knife of Dreams
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    "Fly, you fools!"
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Not so much the words, as the whole moment. But at the end of Blackadder Goes Forth, all the cast say a lot of things, finally Blackadder, "Good luck Everyone," the whistles blow and they go over the top.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    Here's another one from me:

"You all know the mission, and what is at stake. I have come to trust each of you with my life. But I have also heard murmurs of discontent. I share your concerns. We are trained for espionage. We would be legends, but the records are sealed. Glory in battle is not our way. Think of our heroes: the Silent Step, who defeated a nation with a single shot, or the Ever Alert, who kept armies at bay with hidden facts. These giants do not seem to give us solace here, but they are not all that we are. Before the network, there was the Fleet! Before diplomacy, there were SOLDIERS!

Our influence stopped the Rachni, but before that, we held the line! Our influence stopped the Krogan, but before that, we held the line! Our influence will stop Saren! In the battle today, we will hold the line!"

- Captain Kirrahe, Mass Effect
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited June 2013
    "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want... I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

- Brian Mills, Taken
    edited June 2013
    "There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit."

- Red, Shawshank Redemption
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2013
    I don't know about goosebumps, but, since I had to watch the trilogy recently, this ones from The Matrix are pretty good.

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Agent Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?

Dracarys, though, sure gave me the willies.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    "As I look at you, Ambassador Mollari, I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. The hand is your hand. And I hear sounds- the sounds of billions of people calling your name."
    "My followers?"
    "Your victims."
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
    All those
    moments, will be lost in time
    like tears, in rain. Time to die.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Raylan Givens, a US Marshal, throws a bullet at Wynn Duffy, a go-to-guy for your criminal needs, who is lying on the floor: "Next one's coming faster"
    From Justified.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Gene Kelly: "Mr. Brady, it's the duty of a newspaper to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable."

From the movie, Inherit the Wind.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i posted on this thread earlier that "Fly, you fools!" was my favourite quote.
    I lied.
    My favourite quote is rather a lack of dialogue.
    During the Fellowship of the Ring, after the party escapes Moria, there is a scene where each character deals w/ his own grief. There is no dialogue. I find this to be one of the most moving "quotes" (non-quotes?) I have seen on film. Even though I'm pretty sure I know the outcome of the situation (see? no spoiler...) I find myself tearing up @ this point in the film.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see."

Dr. Weir (played by Sam Neill), from the film, Event Horizon
    Mortianna said:

"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see."

Dr. Weir (played by Sam Neill), from the film, Event Horizon

Ugh, I was so freaked out by that scene! I still think Event Horizon is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Battlestar Galactica has a few of them, this is one of my favorites.

Zarek: This is Tom Zarek, President of the Twelve Colonies. It's over, Laura. Saul Tigh was killed attempting to escape. Bill Adama was tried and found guilty of his crimes. A firing squad executed him this morning. It's done, Laura. You want to think about the people of this fleet now, and surrender.

Roslin: No. Not now. Not ever. Do you hear me? I will use every cannon, every bomb, every bullet, every weapon I have down to my own eye, teeth to end you. I swear it! I'm coming for all of you!

Roslin played by Mary McDonnell, said it with so much emotion, so much bitter vengeance it seemed real. One of the few times that a dialog in a television series or a movie gave me goosebumps.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Awong124 And to think they took out 30+ minutes of footage from the hell/chaos dimension scenes makes me shudder to think what the film could have been. Apparently the Paramount executives and the test screening audience found it too disturbing. I read that the producer found a cut of the original movie on VHS, but it he found the quality was too poor to release it.
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but after two viewings I still remember it as a really good film. @Mortianna @Awong124

I certainly wasn't left craving more crazyness from it, I did really like that the horror was kind of removed and you were just kind of getting clues and stuff. Still, I've no idea what they removed, did you guys enjoy Solaris as well?
    @Moomintroll

Solaris was ok. It wasn't a horror film though. And then there's sunshine as well, which is kind of similar.
    edited June 2013
    @Awong124 did you like sunshine? I was put off by the plot, correct me if I'm wrong; 1. fly right up the sun 2. monster on board. (I didn't go and see it)
    @Moomintroll I liked it up to the point where the "monster" shows up. I thought that was kind of stupid.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    No, John. You are the demons.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Mufasa: SCAR! BROTHER! HELP ME!
    Scar: Long live the king.

not cool =(
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I grow tired of shouting battle crys whenever we fight this mage! Boo will bite at his eyeballs so that he does not return to haunt us. EVIL MEET MY SWORD, SWORD MEET EVVVIIIIIL!!!!!
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    JC Denton: "The world must know by now, Everett. What we've done."
    Morgan Everett: "Know what? Only that the long night is over. The crown of government is tarnished, but that will fade in time. The riots, a fever dream; the plague, a horrible nightmare and like everything else that happened, such things will only be dimly remembered upon waking to their normal lives. In the end, all sins are forgiven. Even yours."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    My favourite from a play... Actually a few, but then they did invent a whole character class for the chap in question...

Miranda: I pitied thee, I taught thee to speak, I taught thee each hour...

Caliban: ...And my only profit on it is I can curse you.

If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

A little nationalistic but it always gets the heart thumping...

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more!
    Lest it be filled with our English dead!

My favourite's from a book...

'Hail Gurthang! No lord or loyalty dost thou know, save the hand that wieldeth thee. From no blood wilt thou shrink. Wilt thou therefore take Turin Turambar, wilt thou slay me swiftly ?' And from the black blade rang a cold voice in answer: 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master,and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly.' Then Turin set the hilts upon the ground, and cast himself upon the point of Gurthang, and the black blade took his life.

This always puts heroic imagery in my mind...

Last of all Hurin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!'

My favourite from a movie...

"You came in that thing! Your braver than I thought!"

"Get in there you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!"

"Look at the size of that thing!"

Free cookies if you can figure out where they are all from!