Skip to content

A little something for the avid reroller

ShYarivShYariv Member Posts: 119
Hi, I thought this might interest some of the dedicated rerollers out there.

I've made this excel spreadsheet that calculates the probabilities to roll every possible score for each ability and for the combined total.
It works under the assumption that the mechanism for the BG rolls is as described in PIH, briefly:
For any of the abilities the game rolls 3d6, adds or subtracts the appropriate racial modifiers, and rolls again if the result falls under the minimum required for the selected class/race. The game then adds up all six scores and rerolls everything again if the sum is not at least 75. This happens every time you press the REROLL button.

In my file, for each ability, you can set a minimum score (e.g. human fighters should have a minimum of 9 STR) and add a racial modifier (e.g. elves should have a 1 in DEX and a -1 in CON). The modifiers can only accept values in the range of -2 to 2. You can also set the total score minimum to be anything you want (but it should be 75 for BG characters).
By setting the appropriate modifiers and minimums, you can emulate your class and race of choice and see how it affects the probability distributions.

As examples, I've made several tabs in the file, with the distributions of different classes for human characters (you can see the sorcerer in the image below).

Enjoy!

Comments

• MathiasMathias Member Posts: 21
    you are such a fucking geek, and I salute you good sir. *download*
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    What's a spread sheet? I always thought the sheet went under the spread you mean you can get them together?
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2013
    Man, I love me some spreadsheets! I play fantasy football with a bunch of friends at work. When I first joined their league, I created a spreadsheet to analyze the weekly projections versus actual performance, etc., in an effort to gauge the quality of various data sources. They made endless fun of me. In Season 1, I finished in dead last, 14 out of 14 teams. In Season 2, I finished in 9th out of 14 teams and just missed the fantasy playoffs. In Season 3, I won the title, and then again in Season 4. We opened up a second league in Season 4, and I won that title as well. I was the first to win multiple titles in the one league, the first to win back-to-back titles in that league, and the first to win simultaneous titles in both leagues. Nobody makes fun of my spreadsheet any more!
  • VishnuVishnu Member Posts: 66
    Thanks for this!