Skip to content

So... I just got caught stealing...

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
My party has finally reached the great city of Baldur's Gate, and along the way I have been careful to keep common thievery to a minimum, primarily for RP purposes, given that Imoen is a 'good thief'. So somehow, I have never been caught... until now.

I had always assumed that if items were not in a locked container of some sort, it was 'there for the taking', and taking it would not be a crime. So when Imoen innocently picked up some gold lying around, I was mightily surprised that the nearest commoner called the guards! The -1 reputation penalty was not significant, given my do-gooders party was already at 20 for some time, and with the Boots of Speed, Imoen easily got away.

However, I had not fully explored the institution that Imoen had offended, and noticed that the guards were still there when I returned shortly... I don't wish to kill the guards (presumably I'd take a much larger rep hit if I did) So my question is... how long do the guards hang around after a crime or do they stay there indefinitely?

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    There is a safehouse where thieves can rest. As far as I can remember it is in the same area as sorcerous sundries, on the eastern side, by the wall. Hopefully someone else can confirm the location. I think if you rest there, any aggressive summoned guards will leave.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It doesn't matter where you rest. As long as you rest for 8 hours all the guards will go away. You can also use the pause feature in the game and then click on the rest button, you'll probably fail 8-9 times but the game is paused so they can't talk to you and you can keep resting. Eventually when you rest 8 hours all the guards will be gone (You can have up to 50 guards wanting to talk to you).

When you rob someone then just run out of the house when the guards come, rest and you can re-enter again and take whatever is left.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    1. charm or paralyze witnesses before picking up the valuables
    2. if guards appear, *"fake talk" them.

*"fake talk" - click dialog initiation button on a neutral guard (neutral yet, right after appearance), BUT do not let your character to reach him and start a dialog. Target will stop and begin waiting for you to approach. Do whatever you want then.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Zanian said:

I just love this sort of video-game logic. If it's not locked in something, you're allowed to take it.

Just once I would like to see a real-life person randomly walk into a private house, after finally finding one that's unlocked, walk around stealing everything not nailed down, and then become honestly surprised when the people he's stealing from call the police.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens daily. People are idiots.

That's why it's video-game logic :P BG is an RPG, and killing monsters and looting stuff is pretty much at the core of every RPG. BG would be almost unplayable if u tried to stick to pure realism.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    @zanian why do you even bother with games and internets?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Zanian said:

I just love this sort of video-game logic. If it's not locked in something, you're allowed to take it.

Just once I would like to see a real-life person randomly walk into a private house, after finally finding one that's unlocked, walk around stealing everything not nailed down, and then become honestly surprised when the people he's stealing from call the police.

Could be worse. I remember when skyrim was released people would put buckets over shopkeepers heads so they could steal items. Imagine doing that to people in real life lol?
  • ViandanteViandante Member Posts: 1

That's why it's video-game logic :P BG is an RPG, and killing monsters and looting stuff is pretty much at the core of every RPG. BG would be almost unplayable if u tried to stick to pure realism.

It's funny you mention BG is an RPG, because RPG stands for Role Playing Game, and you are condoning the actions of a good girl stealing in a random person's house.
    It's not about realism, it's about balance.

Balance, for example, is having people call the guards if you are caught stealing, but make them forget about you if you stay out of the streets for enough time.

Realism would be guards that look out for you after you steal in more than a couple of houses for weeks.

Bullshit is resting just out of the house.

I hate little exploits like that and the *fake talk*, but I don't really care as they are not forcing me to do it. I don't understand why would you do that, but meh, your game, your fun.

But please don't say "Duh, BG is an RPG, you are supposed to kill and steal in an RPG!" as it's just not right at all.
    There are Hack'n'Slash games for that. Like Skyrim.
    "Follow the big arrow on your head, enter dungeon, kill the fuck out of every moving thing, take everything, head to next cave".
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Zanian said:

That sounds like one of my relatives!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited July 2013
    elminster said:

Zanian said:

Could be worse. I remember when skyrim was released people would put buckets over shopkeepers heads so they could steal items. Imagine doing that to people in real life lol?
    I love that, its really just clever use of game mechanics (cheese). I can't see that people are idiots for seeing what they can get away with in a game though. Roleplaying is a choice, where the game's ability to enforce realistic social interactions is so limited.
  • CallirgosCallirgos Member Posts: 105
    Killing monsters and looting stuff is NOT the core of every RPG. Its the core of every CRPG that was made post 1995. ONLY because of tech and design time... it's actually possible to make much much better RPG experiences now, but it's too "risky" and the feature list required isn't "approved by metrics".... yuck.

Talk about cart before the horse.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Callirgos - I agree which you completely there. Planescape: Torment did the storytelling and character-driven choice really well so it's put on a pedestal despite myriad flaws.

I've replayed Temple of Elemental Evil recently and though the voice acting is a bit shaky and dialogue hammy, the options opened up by alignment or social skills are huge. If you don't have Diplomacy, Sense Motive and Intimidate you miss so much. Still mostly about killing/looting, but meh.